Sign in to follow this  
Jakobsson87

Oculus Rift VR headset

Oculus Rift is bullshit, sorry for my language , but it is. let me tell you pros and cons.

Pros : looks cool , different expierence.

Cons : gimmicky, very very bad for eyes, after long time eyes being 1 inch away from screen you can get eye cancer go blind or just ultra bad eye sight. head gets tired after a while. and most important reaction time is slower than using mouse. so if you go 1v1 in deathmatch you will always lose to players who use mouse. and again i repeat its bullshit gimmick virtual boy.

You don't know ANYTHING about this product, please stop trolling these forums.

Are you too poor to purchase it or why are you slandering against it?

Oculus Rift is bullshit, sorry for my language , but it is. let me tell you pros and cons.

I've heard that Chinese food is even worse!

(bad tastes good tho..)

you can get eye cancer

and seemingly you can become ignorant by joining on May3rd !!! Go away troll.

Unless you have first hand experience then STFU and let those with it tell it how it is.

p.s... I have got arma2 roughed in.... still needs a few tweaks.... but it is bloody fantastic.

I used Facetracknoir and Vireio Perception to get it to work.. only directx 9 capable at the moment...

I just got my "has shipped" email. Any guides to setting it up with A2?

If its not too rude, how much did it cost ?

:)

300 bucks.. plus postage...30 bucks (international).

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

I just got my "has shipped" email. Any guides to setting it up with A2?

I download this version of Facetracknoir... ftnoir-posix This version has added Oculus as a track source. I had to adjust the ry curve (pitch) to 45/90, as I found it super sensitive in arma2. rx and rz I changed to 180/180. I also set it to Free Track 2 in the game protocol. Then start it.

Go to my documents and find your arma2 profile file. eg gonk.ArmA2OAProfile. make a copy... then make a copy of the copy. Now edit the original, change the following two variables. fovTop=1.2; fovLeft=1.91; 1.2 is 69 degrees, and 1.91 is 110 degrees. ( this will need tweaking but scale is not too bad.)

Connect Oculus rift ...let windows do its thing. Then change display to duplicated the displays. Leave as your default resolution, as arma2 will change the resolution in game.

Next , start arma2/arrowhead and set up the anologue views to free track 2 , in options > controls. Also set video settings to 1280 x 800.

I downloaded the beta version of Vireio Perception at http://www.vireio.com/. file name:- Perception 1.0.5 rc1.zip. This I just extracted and placed the following three files into the arma2 folder.... where the arma2OA.exe lives. d3d9.dll, hijackdll.dll (not a good name), libfreespace.dll. I do not have Vireio Perception running.

Then I start the game and put on Oculus rift and my head phones. I have to use the menus with the headset off as they are not in view .... Vireio Perception breaks the click location and it takes a little trial and error to click the correct spot.

I usually wear glasses (short sighted) and my prescription number is 2.75 for both eyes. I found cup C to be ok and I don't have to wear glasses when using the device. Motion sickness is the biggest problem for the amount of time I can wear them.

This is a rough guide to get you started and it will need tweaking to suit your requirements and to find the correct scale. Fingers cross for an increase in resolution and a reduction in the "fly-screen" effect. You can not read the HUD due to these problems. Motion sickness will go after using them for a few times.... I remember Descent used to make me ill but I got used to it.

After using it for a while I noticed the 3D does not work for this game. It was just playing tricks with my mind. I tried real VR demo and the first thing that stood out was the 3d effect was working. Still it is a good start and shows that there is a fair amount of work to get it to work correctly.. ie menus will need moving, a proper 3d driver needs to be written, text will need changing to one that is more readable. etc. Lets hope we get the option to use this item in the near future.

Edited by gonk

I get that to around £225 inc postage (based on you using the AUD). That’s very reasonable, I expected a lot more than that. Thanks for the info..

Pros : looks cool , different expierence.

Cons : gimmicky, very very bad for eyes, after long time eyes being 1 inch away from screen you can get eye cancer go blind or just ultra bad eye sight. head gets tired after a while. and most important reaction time is slower than using mouse. so if you go 1v1 in deathmatch you will always lose to players who use mouse. and again i repeat its bullshit gimmick virtual boy.

mmk so im going to straighten a few things our for you friend...

1. light is not a carcinogen, so you won't be getting cancer from looking too close to something.

2. does your head get tired looking around in real life? is it too much of a pain to turn your neck to look at someone or do you just turn you whole body straight necked and all?

3. you still use a mouse to turn your BODY with oculus rift. the headset does NOT turn your character but instead turns your head only. hold ALT and move your mouse in an arma game, THIS is what oculus does. you still have to use a keyboard and mouse to play

4. you will destroy anyone in 1v1 death match because it is more immersive, allows for MORE freedom of controls (looking around while moving in another direction allows for SCANNING of terrain instead of running by things blindly)

you need to do some research because clearly you do not understand oculus rift, VR, cancer, how your body operates every minute your awake, and in general LIFE it seems.

4. you will destroy anyone in 1v1 death match because it is more immersive, allows for MORE freedom of controls (looking around while moving in another direction allows for SCANNING of terrain instead of running by things blindly)

My TrackIR 5 and 1600P display say "not so fast there, pal."

My TrackIR 5 and 1600P display say "not so fast there, pal."

track IR falls in line with my point of why OR is great. they both add full head movement without taking up keys / axis, BUT in all honesty the OR does it better in theory because the screen moves with you, so it can be 1:1 head movement (read natural) and you can still look completely straight forward like you would in real life.

track IR falls in line with my point of why OR is great. they both add full head movement without taking up keys / axis, BUT in all honesty the OR does it better in theory because the screen moves with you, so it can be 1:1 head movement (read natural) and you can still look completely straight forward like you would in real life.

TrackIR is fully configurable. 1:1 is not a problem - it's even a preset - though not very useful in gaming, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new tech. It's just that I don't see a single compelling reason for me to mess around with a VR headset yet. I am actually pretty interested in the possibilities regarding its use in flight sims, and I'm sure the future holds some exciting advances in this area, but I'm content to wait.

Agreed. Also, the infrared based TrackIR tracking is a stone age thing (the Rift is using gyroscope/accelerometer/magnetometer). To compare:

Oculus Rift tracking speed: 2 ms

TrackIR 5 tracking speed: (1 / 120fps) * 1000 = 8.33 ms

(Hint: less is better)

Agreed. Also, the infrared based TrackIR tracking is a stone age thing (the Rift is using gyroscope/accelerometer/magnetometer). To compare:

I'm not sure how big a deal that improvement will be (120fps is pretty smooth), but losing the emitter/receiver system is a pretty big plus for the Oculus. Now we just need wireless power...

TrackIR is fully configurable. 1:1 is not a problem - it's even a preset - though not very useful in gaming, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new tech. It's just that I don't see a single compelling reason for me to mess around with a VR headset yet. I am actually pretty interested in the possibilities regarding its use in flight sims, and I'm sure the future holds some exciting advances in this area, but I'm content to wait.

thats fine, im not trying to say its for EVERYONE but it does offer some clear plusses... and again on the 1:1 of track IR, you have to glare out the side of your head to see if you turn, the advantage of OR is that the screen FOLLOWS your head, making 1:1 not only realistic, but natural and less strenuous on your eyes.

trackIR works, but its no where near as realistic as OR's implementation of head-tracking is.

So far TrackIR has proven more accurate though and deosn't suffer drift as bad as the methods used on the Rift.

So far TrackIR has proven more accurate though and deosn't suffer drift as bad as the methods used on the Rift.

same can be said for arma 3.

The rift is not even out yet, its only the development build alot can change/will change.

just like the alpha that is arma 3

...and again on the 1:1 of track IR, you have to glare out the side of your head to see if you turn, the advantage of OR is that the screen FOLLOWS your head, making 1:1 not only realistic, but natural and less strenuous on your eyes.

trackIR works, but its no where near as realistic as OR's implementation of head-tracking is.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. 1:1 tracking in a full-immersion device would be ideal. My point is that 1:1 is almost useless for gaming with TrackIR - higher ratios are typically used, requiring less head movement, and the same amount of eye movement you'd need with the Oculus. And of course, it helps to be fairly close to a relatively large display.

Once they get the kinks worked out and the resolution up to modern standards, the Oculus has a good chance of staking a real claim in the gaming tech market.

The OR is going to be a gamer-changer (literally!)

I know that I will be buying this the MOMENT it comes out commerically. The reason I didn't get the early model is that I wanted them to go to developers in the main (apart from total geeks like gonk - the best type!) I'm only a partial geek.

Anyway, the more we keep talking about this, and the outside world getting very excited about it, we will have a brand new experience for the Arma series.

It has very good 3 DOF of freedom, so we are lacking the other 3. I don't know how they will implement a full 6DOF, as they as basically trying to be an IRU (with surgical precision) and even the most expensive drift and require constant position updates. Fingers crossed they find and elegant solution.

I am getting used to the motion sickness... :). Been testing out some other demo's that are written for the Oculus, although they are basic, they are pretty cool... floating around the ISS.. I am keen to get better res and less fly-screen, so I will keep a keen eye out for Rev 2 later in the year. Word is that the commercial version is a little over a year away... so 2014 Q3....if everything goes to plan.

It has very good 3 DOF of freedom, so we are lacking the other 3. I don't know how they will implement a full 6DOF, as they as basically trying to be an IRU (with surgical precision) and even the most expensive drift and require constant position updates. Fingers crossed they find and elegant solution.

I am getting used to the motion sickness... :). Been testing out some other demo's that are written for the Oculus, although they are basic, they are pretty cool... floating around the ISS.. I am keen to get better res and less fly-screen, so I will keep a keen eye out for Rev 2 later in the year. Word is that the commercial version is a little over a year away... so 2014 Q3....if everything goes to plan.

How are the current 3DOF holding out, I only really use those the most in Arma anyway and use a separate button to zoom in?

Have you messed around in A3 with it yet?

How are the current 3DOF holding out, I only really use those the most in Arma anyway and use a separate button to zoom in?

Have you messed around in A3 with it yet?

there is no way to get it opperational in A3 yet, they only have a DX9 mod for it right now and i believe it may not even be stereo but mono display so it is not yet producing genuine 3D

Is it possible to use trackIR in addition to get lean and zoom? As a temporary solution until OR has it...

i don't see why not if you have both, just make sure you disable all the looking since OR does those.

OR + TIR would be mind boggling to experience. the only question i really have is how much..