Sign in to follow this  
Jakobsson87

Oculus Rift VR headset

Are Arma 3 going too support Oculus Rift VR Headset? Would be perfect for Arma.

And if not, you guys should check in too that.

hell yer.. that would be nice... maybe turn this into a poll... who is going to get Oculus Rift... or this will be locked as it should be in the Wish List...

There is already a discussion thread about the Oculus Rift here.

Requests for Arma3 to support it probably belong in the wish list thread. :)

It must be the most utterly useless device for ArmA3 once you think about it. Constantly taking it off and putting it back on to look at the keyboard or any other controller with lotsa buttons (like joystick/throttle)

It must be the most utterly useless device for ArmA3 once you think about it. Constantly taking it off and putting it back on to look at the keyboard or any other controller with lotsa buttons (like joystick/throttle)

I have been thinking on this quite a bit and I believe that something like the logitech G13 gameboard may be the answer. Mouse(somthing with a few buttons like the G700) + G13 you should be able to have pretty much all the important binds with out having to move your hands, add a Hotas that is findable with the HMD on and i dont think you should be loosing out to much, if needed throw in voice commands for non immediate things (toggle watch, compas, open map give orders to AI Etc.)

Of course the gameboards may be completely unsuitable for fps play (thinking about using the thumb stick to replace wsad gains you 5 extra bindable buttons), that's the personal preference I guess (not used one myself yet).

Has any one else thought of any good ways to make all the keys and controls needed for arma available with out having to move your hands around to much or with out worrying about loosing resting position?

No one's gonna have a setup that can run Arma3 at a rock solid 120fps (ie 60fps stereoscopic 3D) which I would consider a bare minimum for such VR setup with headtracking. If it covers your entire vision, it better be super responsive.

I never need to look at my keyboard when playing Arma2 but I play with an MMO mouse.

Yeah, This will be great. It's the next logical step from TrackIR if you ask me. I hope A3 supports it. I don't think the need to look at the keyboard will a problem either.

No one's gonna have a setup that can run Arma3 at a rock solid 120fps (ie 60fps stereoscopic 3D) which I would consider a bare minimum for such VR setup with headtracking. If it covers your entire vision, it better be super responsive.

Oculus Rift does not use shutters, Red / green filters or any other tech that requires 2 x fps, they display 2 images separately on the single panel (split the screen vertically) however this does mean that you are running at a higher resolution to get 1920 x 1080 it needs 1920 x 2160, though I am not sure if the over head of the stereo images equates to 2x the gpu power or if it is handled through a re-render or filtering the image into 2 separate slightly different renders. I would be very surprised if 3D engines need to build the same scene completely twice.

Oculus Rift does not use shutters, Red / green filters or any other tech that requires 2 x fps, they display 2 images separately on the single panel (split the screen vertically) however this does mean that you are running at a higher resolution to get 1920 x 1080 it needs 1920 x 2160, though I am not sure if the over head of the stereo images equates to 2x the gpu power or if it is handled through a re-render or filtering the image into 2 separate slightly different renders. I would be very surprised if 3D engines need to build the same scene completely twice.

Well you are still rendering twice the frames to get to a comparable single screen fps. The rest is semantics.

In my first hand experience, stereoscopic 3D is demanding. I haven't gathered any hard data but I'd say it's damn near twice the GFX horsepower to run the thing at the same framerate.

Edited by Pulverizer

Of course the gameboards may be completely unsuitable for fps play (thinking about using the thumb stick to replace wsad gains you 5 extra bindable buttons), that's the personal preference I guess (not used one myself yet).

Has any one else thought of any good ways to make all the keys and controls needed for arma available with out having to move your hands around to much or with out worrying about loosing resting position?

I can't imagine anyone uses the D-pad/thumbstick on a gamepad/gameboard instead of a WASD cluster. Most, if not all, of them have a cluster of keys marked as such. I use a Belkin N52 (actually the Razer version right now) and have the D-pad set up as four keys. The scroll wheel is also set up as three keys. So in addition to my WASD cluster, I have 19 keys to play around with, not including the 10 on my G700. I rarely, if ever, need look at the keyboard. That said, I would never use a device like the Oculus, as I generally have things like TS3, server panel, etc. on other screens. And I don't want to spill my coffee fumbling around for it.

Taking it off to look at your keyboard? I thought most gamers could play without looking at their keyboard ...

Looks perfect for games with not many controls (read consoles etc)

Not so good for something like Arma where you might need to press CTRL R or ALT I or any other number of inputs scattered over the keyboard. Obv that's just my view though.

Taking it off to look at your keyboard? I thought most gamers could play without looking at their keyboard ...

Not in a game where you need to use 100 buttons and not 10.

Sure for many other games where your controls go barely beyond the usual WASD it will be sweet

Also, if a game need so many buttons, something is wrong.

Just looked it up a bit, it looks bloody exciting.

About the finding keys blindly thing, I just noticed I can easily type this with my eyes closed. It shouldn't be too hard, and even then you can momentarily lift the goggles off.

Also, if a game need so many buttons, something is wrong.

I'll alert the nice folks over at Eagle Dynamics.

Sure for many other games where your controls go barely beyond the usual WASD it will be sweet

Well then it is time to rethink the interface.

I'll alert the nice folks over at Eagle Dynamics.

Because ARMA has the same level of fidelity as a true simulator where it may take up to 10 minutes just to takeoff. :j:

Making the control scheme intuitive and "smart" may cut a lot of unnecessary keys. Luckly are aware of that.

Well then it is time to rethink the interface.

Th9GxkPiO34

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

Because ARMA has the same level of fidelity as a true simulator where it may take up to 10 minutes just to takeoff.

I never said that. Stop being silly.

It doesn't matter how many buttons you need to use, you should know how your keyboard works, how it feels, and how you use it.

No one sees this as an issue except people looking for something to discredit. (The worst thing that could happen is that your keyboard shifts perfectly and your hands are off by exactly one key, and this would only last as long until you realize it or need to hit ctrl, shift, alt, space or any of those, all of which are heavily used in games)

lol

@oculus rift

it must be the next level of playing any 3d-game.

Because ARMA has the same level of fidelity as a true simulator where it may take up to 10 minutes just to takeoff. :j:

ArmA2 has about 80 functions just for commanding AI alone. Try and put them all into one key.

Making the control scheme intuitive and "smart" may cut a lot of unnecessary keys. Luckly are aware of that.

Cutting stuff out helped OFP DR a lot. Bet it will be really fun with Oculus Rift.

It doesn't matter how many buttons you need to use, you should know how your keyboard works, how it feels, and how you use it.

Wanna bet you will miss quite a lot of keys in the right half of the keyboard with your left hand since the right one will be busy with the mouse or joystick? ;)

Jisses people, it´s a great tech to make the gaming experience better for people that wanna use it. If you don´t know were your hand and fingers are on the keyboard you don´t have to use it. I´m just saying that IF you can play Arma without looking at your keyboard all the time you should get the choice to play with it.

If it is possible to get the game to support it, why not? Just because someone wants to play the game without it, does´t mean everyone has to.

Edited by Jakobsson87