Just got the chance to play through the main story and all I have to say is....

WOW. In my opinion this is as good as it gets. Just absolutely gobsmacked.

- A very well written and compelling story

- Some of the best and most developed characters I've ever seen, you can almost see the insanity in their eyes as the guy grabs the gun you are holding and brings it to his head and shouts "Come on man, do it!"

- The environment is stunning, huge (and totally open as we all love here) and thought out to the smallest detail. Staring with abandoned WW2 japanese bunkers and finishing with ancient temples hidden underground.

- Great voice acting and animations

- Game dynamics just work (eliminations (stab a guy in his neck, grab his gun and mow down four of his friends), jumping, climbing, sliding, base jumping)

- AI does what it supposed to, you can hide from them, they will try to look for you, sound the alarm chase you in cars, cant see you through heavy vegetation. Carnivore animals will attack them (shooting a cage open and then watching as a bear mauls the whole camp while dogs try to kill it was spectacularly satisfying).

- rethought all the bad design choice issues i had with FC2 like enemy retaking the checkpoints.

- great soundtrack

10/10. Absolute recommend to anyone who enjoys playing games.

Was just reading reviews on this one and thinking about pulling the trigger. Game looks pretty as a girl but the enemy AI look a little erhm *cough* dumbed down. I keep seeing videos of the player running towards a group of AK wielding bandits and coming out with hardly a scratch....

The protagonist's less than lukewarm reaction to his brother's death was very noticable. No prone is bothersome. The rest looks intriguing.

Good game... But after Ubisoft screwed up with their uPlay patch and my save games got kidnapped and started playing again It got boring for me...

Even so... Our hero! "I never shot anyone before" but can fire a AK or Sniper Rifle like a rambo...

Did clock in 65+ hours on it before finishing the "story"..

It's a good game, especially if you just once forget that not everything has to be ultar-relistic smulator11!!11!!1!... ;)

Darn! Seems I'm going to have to buy this after all :D ...... on DVD, when the peak pricing drops away a little.

..... didn't mind the others prior, but never did finish any of them because the environment and tasks got boring.

Yeah loved it.

Still fun to play after the story is over aswell.

Got to try the Coop stuff next.

I enjoyed it lengthily, only one complaint, though. The islands run out of enemies too quickly. That and the editor's a bit too devoted to MP mission making instead of SP so the options are somewhat limited from what I've seen. Other than that, all around solid game and the closest that got me to feeling like an action movie hero after a triple chain gunslinger grenade takedown from above.

I still love the first part... lovely gameplay. So many random situations that really stay in your mind.

I'll try FC3, how is the MP part of it?

I'll probably buy but the fact that I can't get Far Cry 2 to run leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Guess I'll wait a while on this one.

I still love the first part... lovely gameplay. So many random situations that really stay in your mind.

I'll try FC3, how is the MP part of it?

Hve not tried it yet, looking forward to COOP though.

Just got the chance to play through the main story and all I have to say is....

WOW. In my opinion this is as good as it gets. Just absolutely gobsmacked.

- A very well written and compelling story

- Some of the best and most developed characters I've ever seen, you can almost see the insanity in their eyes as the guy grabs the gun you are holding and brings it to his head and shouts "Come on man, do it!"

- The environment is stunning, huge (and totally open as we all love here) and thought out to the smallest detail. Staring with abandoned WW2 japanese bunkers and finishing with ancient temples hidden underground.

- Great voice acting and animations

- Game dynamics just work (eliminations (stab a guy in his neck, grab his gun and mow down four of his friends), jumping, climbing, sliding, base jumping)

- AI does what it supposed to, you can hide from them, they will try to look for you, sound the alarm chase you in cars, cant see you through heavy vegetation. Carnivore animals will attack them (shooting a cage open and then watching as a bear mauls the whole camp while dogs try to kill it was spectacularly satisfying).

- rethought all the bad design choice issues i had with FC2 like enemy retaking the checkpoints.

- great soundtrack

10/10. Absolute recommend to anyone who enjoys playing games.

Played it at my brother's. I will defo buy it, i had some brilliant gunfight, as well as sneaky sneaky experience. Much better than FC2 from what i have seen so far.

Heard COOP is sort of retarded though...

Soit is not as boring as Far Cry 2?

Some heavy hitters here giving the game props makes me wanna get it :)

But as above question asks -do you think those that didn't care for Far Cry 2 would still like 3 and why?

Saw some good reviews of it,I'm a bit surprised this one turned out good.I guess they didn't dumbed down everything they could get their paws on.

Anyway I'm not up to news since it's been awhile I've bought a Ubi game,but they still use that nazy drm with always-on and limited installs?

I might end up my embargo on Ubi games if they removed that crap.

I don't think they used any horrible DRM, and in my experience, the installation was pretty smooth. The only catch is that you have to install uPlay and launch the game through that.

It's a bit dumb, if you buy it from Steam (like I did) then when you launch the game via the desktop icon or so it first starts up Steam, then it connects to uPlay and then after uPlay has loaded up you can start the game by pressing "Play" on uPlay. :rolleyes:

I guess they could have tried to make it a bit more cumbersome still..

do you think those that didn't care for Far Cry 2 would still like 3 and why?

Depends on why one didn't care about FC2.

If you hated the eternally respawning checkpoints making exploring the island utterly annoying and a chore (like I did) then you will like FC3 more as it doesn't have those.

In FC3 you also don't have the inaccessible areas like you did in FC2, you see a mountain you will be able to 'climb' it, etc.

There are a couple of invisible walls set up though, but that's due to the story so that you can't access some parts of the game world until the story has evolved long enough, or you get banned from some small place (a cave) after the story has evolved past certain point.

If it was gameplay mechanics etc then nothing much has changed really, although they may be even more fluid this time.

All the takedown stuff is pretty nice.

A bit funny is that if you crouch you seem to become almost invisible :p

The wildlife part is very cool, can't even count how many times a crocodile almost gave me a heart attack, you get completely spooked by leopard/tiger/bear growl only to realise it's actually hunting pigs/boar or buffalos instead of you.

You also get to actually hate those wild dogs that attack you unprovoked, ditto komodo dragons.

Also related to wildlife is that you can skin them and craft yourself bigger slings, pouches and stuff to carry more stuff, weapons and ammo.

Like mentioned you can get a animal caged in enemy camp in best circs to clear the whole camp for you, in some cases you can also lure the animal to attack (they attack a "human" if they get too close to the animal) by throwing rocks.

Story, well, can't say if it's better or worse, one thing that is incredibly annoying in it are 'dream sequence' missions (usually drug related hallucinations) and other more supernatural stuff.

I myself found the story quite lame. Forcing the player avatar to 'feel' for you is very bad idea as not everyone thinks like a american college kid :rolleyes:

I didn't find anything compelling in it, didn't feel anything the developers apparently thought I should, was more annoyed how idiot the Jason guy is at times (apparently seeing some tits makes him want to be a warrior :rolleyes: ).

The story is also quite predictable, you see a plot twist coming a mile away.

It has two different endings (end cutscenes I guess), don't know what's the exact difference between them.

I gotta get it just for some 'Kia Ora'

Bro.

Chur!

Edited by Katipo66

My biggest issues with FC2 were:

1 The story was awfull

2 Everything was so empty and lifeless.

Depends on why one didn't care about FC2.

If you hated the eternally respawning checkpoints making exploring the island utterly annoying and a chore (like I did) then you will like FC3 more as it doesn't have those.

In FC3 you also don't have the inaccessible areas like you did in FC2, you see a mountain you will be able to 'climb' it, etc.

Yes pretty much these. FC2 just seems entirely barren and restrictive while I remember FC1 as being go where you want joyous.

So it feels more like Far Cry 1 wherein if you saw something you could go to it, at risk of your own life of course. Could go there but you may not be able to handle what is there.

The game also utilizes it's own assets quite well, animals aren't just for scenery, they have a reason to exist and quite funny enough can be manipulated or will on their own accord, attack your enemies.

Vaas is also an interesting character that many have become greatly intrigued by, in fact despite him not being an actual "Boss" he's managed to generate more interest than Hoyt, the main antagonist.

So it feels more like Far Cry 1 wherein if you saw something you could go to it, at risk of your own life of course. Could go there but you may not be able to handle what is there.

The game also utilizes it's own assets quite well, animals aren't just for scenery, they have a reason to exist and quite funny enough can be manipulated or will on their own accord, attack your enemies.

Vaas is also an interesting character that many have become greatly intrigued by, in fact despite him not being an actual "Boss" he's managed to generate more interest than Hoyt, the main antagonist.

indeed all credit for Vaas goes to the actor as the character as it is now didn't even exist until this guy came and did an audition for a different role. He didnt get that part but they created a whole character based on him. Vaas is an incredible character, I can't remember anything similar. Hoyt was also quite intense but i guess because he doesnt appear that much until the end he didn't quite shine as much. Buck and Sam were also quite cool.

Ha ha, just like in Skyrim, I love that.

After watching some vids on this, I'm actually looking to get it I had FarCry 1 and I have no idea where the game went, so i must have lost it, but I played it through and really enjoyed it.

I'm pondering if FarCry3 will work with my computer, based on the requirements I seen for the game, you guys think FarCry3 would work on my computer?

My specs:

AMD Anthlon 64 processor 3400+ (single core)

2gb ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 285 (1024) mem

750 watt PSU

With these specs I can play Arma2CO np, I can play the game on max settings but...

I can only play little skirmishes, otherwise I play on all low settings except shading, and I dont get any lag.

I normally play with my COWarMod which some of you know has 215+ addons/mods, and no, no lag.

I do have Skyrim to, and can play that np, so I'd just assume I should be able to play Farcry3 but probably on lowest settings.

one question:

So in FC3 you can pretty much go anywhere do anything, is it really like Skyrim?