Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

Does any of you guys still play with vanilla sounds?

After playing with JSRS for so long, and return to vanilla sounds, I must say, they're not so bad at all. Plus the frame rate is better because JSRS have some little scripts in there. But the sonic crack could need more punches, having heard it in real-life (no not in a fire fight, just that guy behind the target berm) I must it's very loud snap, even if it's over 5 meters away (just guestimate)... Never experience crawling under a GPMG fire yet though...

But anyway, are there still people playing with vanilla sounds?

I never saw any need for a soundmod with ArmA II OA. This is not OFP or ArmA anymore.

maybe it depends on what soundsystem is used. With hifi headphones (Audio Technica ATH AD900, very neutral), headphone amp plus x-fi´s cmss2-modus a soundmod still is a musthave and the original sounds are only placeholders for me. A difference like night and day. The weapon sounds have no energy and the explosions are like a big cohort of pudding.

Thankfully, the soundmods are modular, so you can pick and chose the sound you like, and remove those that you dont. For me, I only replace the vanilla sonic crack from JSRS. Sonic crack from ACE kinda nice too, but I think the JSRS sonic crack is better. The rest, weapons sound, vehicles sound, everthing elses are vanilla sound.

try CSM2, it has more powerful explosions and gunshots. But i didn't like it, it sounds, like its been just put together from various sources, without much of editing. I love JSRS, cause it sounds like a plot to me, well balanced and quality sound. And fps wise, wait for jsrs 1.5, the performance issues has been fixed there, so nearly no performance hit, as it has been told. I simply can't stand thus vanilla sounds anymore, so dull, so boring, so low fidelity. Jsrs is seriously a must! A believe, i would have dropped to play arma 2 soon, with the vanilla sound. And everytime i'm playing with JSRS, it is so impressive, it really pleases my ears!

Never in a million years will I return to vanilla sounds, JSRS right now, have tried quite a few others throughout the period of time that I've owned this game.

Euaugh...... legend has it that there was once a day when vanilla sounds roamed the software and multiplayer servers XD Get up with the times!! :o

Only when testing/developing something will I run without any soundmods as most of them love to spam the debug log.

not using any but are you guys using any texture mods

Edited by mike1012
Wrong spelling

I always played with sound mods because I thought the stock sounds were pretty poor. I still think that, but recently I got into the habit of turning off all addons in order to playtest missions, and the default sounds aren't as horrible as I once thought. They're still mostly too dull and quiet, but I don't find them as offensive as I used to. But that doesn't change the fact that the AKS sounds like someone knocking on a door and the PK sounds like a typewriter. And the supposedly authentic ACR rifles sound like they're being fired in a plastic barrel full of water. But mostly they're tolerable.

Except one of the silenced versions of the CZ75 which sounds like they just took the unsuppressed version and ran it through a high pass filter a couple of times.

I'll stop now.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

I use a mix: JSRS and the optional weaponsounds plus the environment.pbo from the elias soundmod, i love the rich cricket sounds.

Played w/wo soundmods, while the mods added extra ompf, I never found vanilla sounds lacking. Have been playing w/o mods for a year.

I think the OA sounds where very good ( especially the helos). I do prefer JSRS though and use it when ever I can.

I've always loved the stock sounds, but ACE and CWR2 provide a nice change now and then. Some of the ACR pistol sounds could be better, though.

Yes, I play with vanilla sounds. They are ok.

me 2, they are alright in my opinion

The vanilla sounds are objectively atrocious for many vehicles and weapons. Most autocannons, for example, sound no more like the real thing than a Halo plasma pistol resembles a Glock.

I use JSRS most of the time. When editing though, or when sound mods aren't allowed, vanilla sounds are adequate.

I've never had the need for a Sound Mod, also the Squad i play with doesn't use one.

I've never had the need for a Sound Mod, also the Squad i play with doesn't use one.

YOU really should watch the video I linked!