Sign in to follow this  
highhead

Multi-Session Operations v4.5 released

At the risk od sounding dumb, how does this work?

I've run arma2oaserver.exe and it displays a small window that displays the following message.

12:59:29 Dedicated host created.

12:59:30 BattlEye server updated to version: 164

12:59:30 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.164)

12:59:30 Host identity created.

How do I now tell the server which mission it should run?

-----

OK I now seem to worked it out - you then need to run your client OA (arma2oa.exe) and the goto to MP and connect to the server locally (via LAN) and only then can you select your mission.

Does local server offer smoother gameplay on all SP missions? Or just MSO?

Hi mate!

Please keep something in mind which may seperate the MSO team from others...

There are no stupid questions.... Only stupid answers!

You can run it as SP or on local dedi, or as host. I suggest local dedi as you can choose your mission params (host also), but with dedicated server you can even use PDB! Furthermore it is persistent, so you could even put your machine in energy-saving mode instead of shutdown your PC and continue the next day you left off. So many possibilities - just choose one! Overall i can say, that local dedi is my suggested one for MP use overall.

And dont hesitate, just get back to us if you need further support!

Enjoy!

HH

At the risk od sounding dumb, how does this work?

I've run arma2oaserver.exe and it displays a small window that displays the following message.

12:59:29 Dedicated host created.

12:59:30 BattlEye server updated to version: 164

12:59:30 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.164)

12:59:30 Host identity created.

How do I now tell the server which mission it should run?

-----

OK I now seem to worked it out - you then need to run your client OA (arma2oa.exe) and the goto to MP and connect to the server locally (via LAN) and only then can you select your mission.

Does local server offer smoother gameplay on all SP missions? Or just MSO?

Then login to server and adjust the parameters for your mission before start. I also like to change the disableai =1 to 0 in description-mso.txt so that there are AI in my group. It is worth depbo-ing any of the MSO missions that you are going to play single player, putting all the files and directories into the appropriate area to make them editable, then adjusting any elements in the editor - eg loading High Command extensions, changing your group composition etc. Then export it as a multiplayer mission.

Most SP missions will need a bit of fiddling with to make them multiplayer (even for one player) eg the addition of description.ext. Play around with de-pbo'd MSO missions to get a feel for how it all works. If you have a quad (or more) core then you will get the benefit of the AI being run on the core that the server uses. When it gets busy, you will get no client degredation.

Last night I noticed the GBL AIM system worked the first time I booted the system up...then the second time I never had any options to Search Buildings, etc. etc. etc. Do you recommend shutting off Nielson's CIM when using GBL AIM or can they co-exist? I'm also having issues getting the CASEVAC to work properly. i had a CASEVAC mission approved but no chopper ever showed up...this was on Taviana. Do I need to place a chopper for CASEVAC to work or does it dynamically spawn the chopper and then delete it once the mission is complete?

edit: Also, is there a way to launch my dedi through six updater? if so could someone post a "for dummies" set by set? thank you.

Fire me a PM if you still need help with SU on your dedi

To the MSO Team:

We have been running 4.55 a few days now to test out and I must say the performance is much improved for both server and client so thanks a bunch!!

My question: Do enemies get spawn in dynamically based on # of players present on the server? IE: we have 5 players on server and roll into an area where bad guys spawn (say 20 of them). If we do the same thing but have 10 players will it still spawn 20 baddies? Hope my question makes sense.

Highhead - just curious if you have an HC test version for 4.55 or is there something 'easy' I can do to convert my 4.5 version?

Thanks again!! :yay:

Hi Grillob,

When you say middle, is it just there permanently? as it should be a scroll wheel action.

The Persist Cursor is only available to admins, and is a tool to be able to save any Vehicles, Weapons etc that you obtain throughout the MSO Campaign that are not part of the original mission. For example we in VCB cleared an enemy camp and used the fortifications, sand bags etc to create a FOB in the local area. We persisted these items so that the locations are saved in the database, and are therefore still in place upon server restart.

Gunny

Thanks Gunny for answering me!

Yes is on the middle permanently. I am playing singleplayer on a dedicated server on the same machine. Maybe is because i am playing as an "admin" to change parameters! So i am going to came back again as a player and see if goes away! Playing with ace does not happens. Edit: was the admin problem! So now i setup the mission and disconnect and connect just as a player and works nice!

Can you tell me which file has the mission parameters so i can change it there and don't have to change again every time i start the server!

How do i reset (start again) the mission when using PDB?

And what is the best caching for performance on Singleplayer (just one player on a Dserver)? CEP or Noujay?

I am loving MSO! huge thanks for you guys!:D

But now i am having game crashes when respawning!:( but not on lan host!

Edited by Grillob3

Hey guys, I was making a mission a little while ago and found that making a unit the rank of "Colonel" seems to make it so they cannot call support/missions etc, the only fix I found was to change the ranker to the lower rank of either Sgt or Lt, is there a config file I can modify to change this? Sorry if its been changing in a recent update, I haven't updated yet and just recalled having this issue.

Thanks

Alex.

Quick question on PDB, I'm setting up the DB on a separate machine to the server and it's all working great.

Just wondering if the mysql-connector-net is required on the game server machine or just the database, I can't test on this machine since it has Visual Studio installed and most likely has all that stuff already.

Thanks Gunny for answering me!

Yes is on the middle permanently. I am playing singleplayer on a dedicated server on the same machine. Maybe is because i am playing as an "admin" to change parameters! So i am going to came back again as a player and see if goes away! Playing with ace does not happens. Edit: was the admin problem! So now i setup the mission and disconnect and connect just as a player and works nice!

Can you tell me which file has the mission parameters so i can change it there and don't have to change again every time i start the server!

How do i reset (start again) the mission when using PDB?

And what is the best caching for performance on Singleplayer (just one player on a Dserver)? CEP or Noujay?

I am loving MSO! huge thanks for you guys!:D

But now i am having game crashes when respawning!:( but not on lan host!

Hi Grillob,

No need to disconnect etc to change from being admin type #logout in the chat window and press enter, this will log you out. Also #login password, if there's one set to login as admin.

Im at work at the moment, so will get back to you shortly as to where the params are, cant remember lol, Highead may probably beat me to it!

Gunny

---------- Post added at 07:59 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

Quick question on PDB, I'm setting up the DB on a separate machine to the server and it's all working great.

Just wondering if the mysql-connector-net is required on the game server machine or just the database, I can't test on this machine since it has Visual Studio installed and most likely has all that stuff already.

Hi Bhaz,

The mysql-connector-net needs to be on the gaming server as this is what makes the connection across to the db.

Gunny

Edited by Gunny1979
Typo!!

Thanks!

And the crashes? i don't have it on single player or multiplayer. But the game is crashing now after 10 minutes or every time when respawning!I playing with dedicated server, PDB and the game on the same machine. Its a 6 core i7 3930k with 16gb ram and sli gtx 680.

There are separate params for each module - look in the module folders (e.g. ..\enemy\module\CQB_POP\params.hpp). You can change the defaults here to save having to do it everytime you start the mission. Note that if you are using PDB, you will need to let Dynamic Enemy Pop (DEP) run for some time on first mission start to let it find all the locations (can take up to 5 mins on a big map with a lot of locations). Thereafter mission starts should be much quicker, but be sure to let them init on the map screen fully before going into the 3D world.

No idea about the crashes - check your rpt files for errors.

When I start the mission with my dedicated server then join with client it just hangs at "waiting for host". Any other mission works fine.

Check the server rpt for errors. What's it saying?

If you're trying to run PDB in the params and don't have it set up the mission won't work. Ensure it's turned off.

There are separate params for each module - look in the module folders (e.g. ..\enemy\module\CQB_POP\params.hpp). You can change the defaults here to save having to do it everytime you start the mission. Note that if you are using PDB, you will need to let Dynamic Enemy Pop (DEP) run for some time on first mission start to let it find all the locations (can take up to 5 mins on a big map with a lot of locations). Thereafter mission starts should be much quicker, but be sure to let them init on the map screen fully before going into the 3D world.

No idea about the crashes - check your rpt files for errors.

I got it working now without crashes! Was the dedicated server, i was using TA2DST.exe, so i am using now only arma2oaserver.exe shortcut with startup parameters and is working fine. :)

For the parameters i will take a look! Big thanks!

That's great news Grillob, thanks for letting us know its all sorted. It's always good to hear back. Happy MSO'ing!

Hi mate!

Please keep something in mind which may seperate the MSO team from others...

There are no stupid questions.... Only stupid answers!

You can run it as SP or on local dedi, or as host. I suggest local dedi as you can choose your mission params (host also), but with dedicated server you can even use PDB! Furthermore it is persistent, so you could even put your machine in energy-saving mode instead of shutdown your PC and continue the next day you left off. So many possibilities - just choose one! Overall i can say, that local dedi is my suggested one for MP use overall.

And dont hesitate, just get back to us if you need further support!

Enjoy!

HH

Thanks for the advice. I was therefore really chuffed when I connected to it locally. However I'm now really gutted because it no longer works.

I can see the server. I can select a mission. A dialogue box appear giving me a countdown to the start of the mission (Voting time remaining) and then it just sits there. Nothing. I've left it run for several minutes and nothing!

So I checked the server's log and found this:

22:49:13 Dedicated host created.

22:49:14 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.170)

22:49:14 Host identity created.

22:50:50 Hannuman uses modified data file

22:50:50 Player Hannuman connecting.

22:50:50 Player Hannuman connected (id=1598337).

22:50:50 BattlEye Server: Player #0 Hannuman (192.168.0.21:2316) connected

22:50:53 BattlEye Server: Player #0 Hannuman - GUID: b44b26938e781b38529dba4f9f7e4e1b (unverified)

22:50:54 BattlEye Server: Verified GUID (b44b26938e781b38529dba4f9f7e4e1b) of player #0 Hannuman

22:51:50 Mission co10 Prison Busters read from bank.

22:52:57 Mission co5@ =RTY= BAF-Commando's - River Raid 1.1 read from bank.

I've tried it with a dozen different missions including ones that worked fine before.

Any idea how to fix this?

--------------

OK I think that I've found the problem.

It wasn't loading missions that were based on Lingor.

It was loading missions from all other islands.

So this got me wondering, do I need to add mods to the target line of my oaserver shortcut just like for the client, e.g. "E:\ArmA 2\arma2oaserver.exe" => "E:\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=ACR;@CBA;@CBA_A2;@CBA_OA;@misc;@misc-OA;@onboab;@WarFX-BC;@JSRS;@ANZINS;@RP-OA;@SP;@RHS;@lingor;@Podagorsk;@UKF;@panthera -nosplash

If so, what mods do need I to run? Exactly the same ones as on the client? Or can I dispose of sound mods, video mods, etc?

--------------

OK that seems to have sorted it.

I'm kinda surprised and disappointed the server's log didn't spout something helpful like unable to find XXXX

Ah well it all seems to be working now.

Weee heee!

Edited by domokun

Hi Domukun,

Im glad you found the issue out, yeah whatever mods you want to use in single player need to be added to the server start line also, but you managed to work that out great.

This is not an MSO issue, but how all Arma Servers must be started.

Gunny

friznit2 and Gunny

Just changed the parameters in almost all the missions! All is working really nice!Now its time to play!

Thanks again for the help and for this Big mod/mission!

Now that I've got bl00dy thing working ;) I'm really getting stuck in :D

I've read your documentation (MSOPlayersGuide.doc) but I'm unable to understand which of the parameters has a significant impact on framerate.

Can you offer me any pointers and/or advice?

FYI I'm running a 3570k@4.3/8GB/7870 hosting a local server and hope to host COOP missions for a tiny clan of 4-6.

-------------------------

Also am I right in thinking that one cannot host a campaign on local or dedicated server?

Edited by domokun

When I start the mission with my dedicated server then join with client it just hangs at "waiting for host". Any other mission works fine.

I usually login as admin and call up missions.

"/" #login password (your server admin pass)

"/" #missions

also, I have been playing these missions with 2 or 3 others. We use AI in our teams, is there anyway to allow the mobile mhq to have a recruitment option?

Edited by Riserburn504

Hi Domokun,

It depends on whatmap you are on, the Base Missions have the best performance settings for each map as default, however do feel free to change them and have a play and see what works best with you :D

What do you mean about the campaign, are you talking about the PersistentDB? So if you restart it it will start as when you left off? Is this what you mean?

Anybody else having consistency issues with CASEVAC? On Cherno it seems to work quite well...on Taviana its hit or miss...on Taki it seems to be unreliable. Is there anything to do with how much room is needed around the hospital marker to safely spawn a helo? This is the only thing really holding my missions back.

Morning!

CASEVAC worked fine the last time i got shot in the back - will try it on tavi!

Jugger, PO2 works well on our end. Which mission did you run? Please try stock takistan 4.55 mission to see what its like!

Thanks mates!

HH

friznit2, you said:

Note that if you are using PDB, you will need to let Dynamic Enemy Pop (DEP) run for some time on first mission start to let it find all the locations (can take up to 5 mins on a big map with a lot of locations)

Does MSO have a module, script, whatever that would create such locations if the map itself doesn't have any?