-martin-

My work is being illegally sold on World Zombie.ru

This edited version is not better. In cities reduced texture homes to improve performance.

Maybe, but it will be free :)

Hi Iceman77, let me quickly narrow things down for you..

1. For the second time, I did read the thread. (idk if you read the part where I said I did read the thread?)

2. Some of what you've said is hearsay. For example, just because you had a donate button on your website for years and received nothing, means what? What does that have to do with zombie.ru?

3.So the guy is a server hoster/company.What's the difference in that and just being a clan or a person with alot of servers? Either way the servers have to get payed for somehow. How do any of you know, how much the guy is paying for the servers? I mean, charging server dues is acceptable to pay for the servers?

4. So he includes the island on the servers that he charges for? So instead... I guess he should just rent only the servers to people and then refer them to the original island download after the fact? LOL, So in essence, they're paying for the server. And getting a reference to the island afterwords. That's completely legit, but yet how does it differ from just including the island on the server people are renting?

5.You shouldn't make addons for BI products or any content for that matter, if you have problems with others editing your content (regardless of licensing). Editing others content, even if it's supposed to be taboo, has always been and always will be. So, why does this addon/island require any special treatment?

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

@iceman

regarding Intelectual Property: you are saying that personal edits are fine. Well, personal edits are fine (as in tolerated, not allowed) as long as those are personal, as in for one person. Besides, reverse engineers is prohibited (even if it isn't the case here).

Well, most every clan I know of uses modified addons, cattered specifically to the clans needs. By personal use, I ment personal clan use. And that's the thing, it's tolerated not allowed... why is this island so special? If every addon maker with some licensing, got mad and wanted to sue someone when others edited his or her content, and placed the version on server(s) that are being payed for then we'd have 1823713 threads and alot of lawsuits.

Edited by Iceman77

1. Either you lied and you didn't read or you tell the truth which means you're not smart enough to understand it. Either way, both makes you look bad.

2. not worth an answer

3. If the revenue doesn't exceed the costs, everything is fine, this is how clans do it. If the revenue exceeds, they will pay out the involved clan members.

4. Spot the difference: "Servers can be rented with Community made addons installed on request" vs "Hey we have pre-set servers with addons X, Y and Z".

5. Simply rude but clearly shows how much respect you have for other peoples property. Martin made it, it is his property and he decides how it might be used.

Editing others content has always been and always will be.

Funnily enough the same argument was brought up by some states in the US when it came to slavery.

[Moderator]

Another ignorant post from you in this thread and you will be banned from it. You better learn the difference between "wrong" and "right" very quickly.

[/Moderator]

3. So the guy has multiple servers. How do any of you know, how much the guy is paying for the servers? I mean, charging for server dues is acceptable to pay for the servers?

What the guy pays for his servers and whether he actually makes a profit is beside the point - it is the intention that counts. He is not running a gaming group and asking the members to contribute toward running their server, he is marketing a product with the intention of making profit. The difference may seem trivial to you, but it isn't.

4. So he includes the island on the servers that he charges for? So instead... I guess he should just rent only the servers to people and then refer them to the original island download after the fact? LOL, So in essence, they're paying for the server. And getting a reference to the island afterwords. That's completely legit, but yet how does it differ from just including the island on the server people are renting?

He can't refer his customers to the original island download because he is using a modified version (in violation of the "no-derivs" part of the license license). And even if he wasn't, the point would remain that he is selling access to a product containing the island. The source of the download is immaterial.

5.You shouldn't make addons for BI products or any content for that matter, if you have problems with others editing your content. Editing others content has always been and always will be. So, why does this addon/island require any special treatment?

I don't think the majority of addon makers have a problem with people privately and harmlessly poking around and picking apart their content. Releasing it in violation of the license is a different matter, and selling it certainly is.

6. You seem pretty upset, else there wouldn't be this huge thread.

I don't see how that is relevant.

Myke;2262693']1. Either you lied and you didn't read or you tell the truth which means you're not smart enough to understand it. Either way' date=' both makes you look bad.

2. not worth an answer

3. If the revenue doesn't exceed the costs, everything is fine, this is how clans do it. If the revenue exceeds, they will pay out the involved clan members.

4. Spot the difference: "Servers can be rented with Community made addons installed on request" vs "Hey we have pre-set servers with addons X, Y and Z".

5. Simply rude but clearly shows how much respect you have for other peoples property. Martin made it, it is his property and he decides how it might be used.

Funnily enough the same argument was brought up by some states in the US when it came to slavery.

[Moderator']

Another ignorant post from you in this thread and you will be banned from it. You better learn the difference between "wrong" and "right" very quickly.

[/Moderator]

#1.aww man, more insults?Anyhow...

#2. Why? Hearsay claims are okay to sort these kinds of issues?

#3.So how do you know the revenue exceeds the cost? How much did his servers cost?

#5. I do have respect, I've never touched anyone elses addons... even though there are several configs I'd like to dig into. (I did edit a config once back in arma, after I was told it was okay) I just dont see why this addon is so special

Also, you're gonna ban me even though I'm not doing anything wrong? No vulgarity or insults. I'm simply stating my opinions and even some facts along the way.

Edited by Iceman77

#3.So how do you know the revenue exceeds the cost? How much did his servers cost?

It may be a horrible source for a academic work but it will help in this case, so I'll cite the first three sentences from wikipedia.org on topic "company": "A company is a business organization. It is an association or collection of individual real persons and/or other companies, who each provide some form of capital. This group has a common purpose or focus and an aim of gaining profits". As a conclusion he is willing to make profit with what he is doing. With other words, if the revenue does NOT exceed the costs, it is not in his intention and he would stop this business soon. Obviously he is not going to do so and the only logical reason for that is that he IS making money anyway.

A license is not for fun, even if the reality is showing something else. But that must not be tolerated IMHO.

1. No insults, just stating my opinion. By your logic it is legit to state a opinion.

2. Make a educated guess.

3. I admit, i don't know if it does but 42 years of life experience tells me what to expect. And this guy expects to make money with it.

5. If you would have read the thread you would have seen that it is not only about Martin's addon. I take this as prove that you lied and didn't read the thread.

Also, you're gonna ban me even though I'm not doing anything wrong?

Yes.

Myke;2262705']Yes.
That's terrible. Also, I thought the topic was about martins work being sold. That's what I'm focusing on. Martins work being sold. Sorry if I don't go by "life experiences" or "educated guesses" to get to the bottom of such an issue. I mean we are talking about a lawsuit here. Do you think if this goes to a trial, the judge would go by life experiences and make educated guesses? Or would he go by recorded facts? That's what I'm asking for. Edited by Iceman77

3.So the guy is a server hoster/company.What's the difference in that and just being a clan or a person with alot of servers? Either way the servers have to get payed for somehow. How do any of you know, how much the guy is paying for the servers? I mean, charging server dues is acceptable to pay for the servers?

5.You shouldn't make addons for BI products or any content for that matter, if you have problems with others editing your content (regardless of licensing). Editing others content, even if it's supposed to be taboo, has always been and always will be. So, why does this addon/island require any special treatment?

3. most clans i know of, have a donate button yes. That said, most clans don't have a specific amount to be paid by each individual, but rather a goal to reach for paying the server rent or co-location. It is not the same here.

4. one is not allowed to advertise another person's product in your own bundle, without previous stated consent. How would it be if i were to rent you a space in an apple retail store, although i would only own the space and not the store or francise, in order to use the products in that particular store (which i don't own). I would pay apple nothing obviously, since it is my space afterall. I would say i only charge you for the costs of heating/HVAC and space maintanance (cleaning etc) though, using apple's own computers is free. It is the same thing.

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

[/color]

Well, most every clan I know of uses modified addons, cattered specifically to the clans needs.

If by modified addons you are refering to external configs, without unpacking the original package, then that is 100% allowed. If you mean editing the original content (be it config or textures or whatever else), that is forbiden by 99.9% of the licenses that comes with the releases.

By personal use, I ment personal clan use. And that's the thing, it's tolerated not allowed...

There is no such thing. It is either personal (as in for one person's use), or not at all. The tolerated part goes only for you modifying an addon in order to mess around by yourself, without providing distribution links, or pictures of that for that matter.

here's a comparison. Buying weed for certain conditions is allowed only for the person that has the recipe. Distributing that weed, even if it is for free is felony.

why is this island so special? If every addon maker with some licensing, got mad and wanted to sue someone when others edited his or her content, and placed the version on server(s) that are being payed for then we'd have 1823713 threads and alot of lawsuits.

It is not special. Most addon makers i know that would have their content misused, will actually sue for their rights. I am not certain of what addons you are talking in particular here.

oh and btw, when an addon is released without a specific license file, the most harsh one applies (Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs

CC BY-NC-ND)

Edited by PuFu

#5. I do have respect, I've never touched anyone elses addons... even though there are several configs I'd like to dig into. (I did edit a config once back in arma, after I was told it was okay) I just dont see why this addon is so special

It is not special (it is a hell of an island, but that's beside the point). Martin has spent hundreds of hours making Taviana. He then releases it for free under a non-comercial, no-modifications license. A person comes along, modifies it and starts using it in a commercial environment. Do you see the issue now?

Edited by Deadfast

It's Martin's addon and he may treat it in any way he pleases.

Well, most every clan I know of uses modified addons, cattered specifically to the clans needs. By personal use, I ment personal clan use. And that's the thing, it's tolerated not allowed... why is this island so special? If every addon maker with some licensing, got mad and wanted to sue someone when others edited his or her content, and placed the version on server(s) that are being payed for then we'd have 1823713 threads and alot of lawsuits.

Whether it's tolerated is a matter for the individual addon owner. There is certainly NO established standard other than we respect licenses here.

I think Myke believes you are flamebaiting. It crossed my mind as well. Your lines of argument seem to almost totally neglect the facts of this particular instance, even when you're asking 'what's so special about this mod?' and comparing modifying an addon and selling it in a package to modifying something for personal use. You are welcome to your opinion, but how about making an argument that doesn't have something to do with your psychic appraisal of Martin's emotional state and that takes into account at least some of what we have already covered.

Edited by Max Power

Have you tried to contact the english company requesting them to stop commercially exploiting your work? I would very much like to hear what they reply with.

And how has BIS handled this? Are they involved at all?

Since they allow the addon makers to retain full copyright of their material with some limits, I really doubt BI would weigh in on an addon maker's personal legal issues. As for their game being used inappropriately for someone else's profit, I similarly would really doubt they would share their legal strategy if any with us.

-Martin- Will you be creating anymore addon/islands for the ARMA series or even any BIS product after all this has happened an do you recommend to others to continue developing content an releasing to public domain? I wish their was something I could do to help you out. Where's your donate button? Sorry if off topic but everyone does it. An im at work so this is brief an corny.

-Martin- Will you be creating anymore addon/islands for the ARMA series or even any BIS product after all this has happened

If he would stop, it would be very unfortunate. A few bad apples shouldn't ruin it for everybody else.

The problem is that no matter where you go in life, there will always be people out there trying to give you a hard time and giving up is just letting them win.

In my opinion, when you mod, you are doing it for yourself in the first place... So you also should not neglect the reality of modding and continually put yourself in a position to be victimized simply because you're concerned about 'letting them win'. If you aren't modding, 'they' meaning vilayer doesn't give a rat's ass about you. If you are modding, then he has an avenue for revenue based on your work. So, with this in mind, you can make a decision based on how *you* feel about it. Forget them, and us, and anyone 'winning'.

In my opinion, when you mod, you are doing it for yourself in the first place... So you also should not neglect the reality of modding and continually put yourself in a position to be victimized simply because you're concerned about 'letting them win'. If you aren't modding, 'they' meaning vilayer doesn't give a rat's ass about you. If you are modding, then he has an avenue for revenue based on your work. So, with this in mind, you can make a decision based on how *you* feel about it. Forget them, and us, and anyone 'winning'.

I, personally, don't get all worked up over people stealing my work via the internet. I knew what I was getting into as soon as I posted any of my work online. There will always be people out there looking to make a quick buck on other's work. People can argue IP laws all they want, but the internet is a lawless place and if somebody wants to steal your shit, they will. There's next to nothing you can do about it unless you have a legal team comparable to EA or Activision's.

Yes, this is also a way of seeing things, which can be can create without asking questions when the purpose of what comes out of your imagination and your computer.

You can ignore or pretend not to give too much importance to the "recovery" of our creation: this is not to say that the problem disappears, of course ... (I do not controversial: I see only :))

However, disrespectful behavior will eventually kill the modding and even if it is true that we created in the first place to have fun, it's frustrating to see this happen.

Personally (well placed to speak), I feel that the problem can be tackled by some lifesaving: no longer alone in his corner modder and absolutely be part of a team recognized.

This precludes individualistic efforts, but we must see that those who make you behave the miseries of predator attacks prey isolated.

We must know and make choices ...

I, personally, don't get all worked up over people stealing my work via the internet. I knew what I was getting into as soon as I posted any of my work online. There will always be people out there looking to make a quick buck on other's work. People can argue IP laws all they want, but the internet is a lawless place and if somebody wants to steal your shit, they will. There's next to nothing you can do about it unless you have a legal team comparable to EA or Activision's.

Well, complacency is your choice, I suppose... but who is getting all worked up?

That's terrible.

I agree, it is.

Also, I thought the topic was about martins work being sold. That's what I'm focusing on. Martins work being sold. Sorry if I don't go by "life experiences" or "educated guesses" to get to the bottom of such an issue. I mean we are talking about a lawsuit here. Do you think if this goes to a trial, the judge would go by life experiences and make educated guesses? Or would he go by recorded facts? That's what I'm asking for.

Iceman, for the record I think you are being unfairly vilified in this thread. I can see what info you're trying to get, and you're just coming up against a brick wall of hostility. I think more discussion and less hooting from the baying crowds would be a better outcome.

I can only speak from my personal experience but in the past I have been contacted numerous times by a variety of clans wishing to make small edits to my work, (normally badge changes etc). So actually I've found most seem to go through the "proper channels" before making any change. Obviously it's not always the case but still, not everyone is just editing things behind addon makers backs.

This whole thing feels somewhat similar to what HFB Servers are doing, they list a number of different community made maps as part of the server deals:

HFBServers

Feels like they are cutting a very fine line at best, certainly doesn't seem morally right though.

Edited by STALKERGB

i would take legal actiona gainst him it is copywrite theft however he puts it break his bubble and sue him

Hi Martin,

Was this "3.0" version contained in this mod created + packed with your approval?

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/119805-dayz-origins-released/

I see no credits there.

Sorry to bother you if you gave an OK. Your postbox isf full btw :) - oh damn I'll also break the limit again soon.

edit:

Reading pays off I guess

http://www.gamersplatoon.com/forums/showthread.php?6233-About-Taviana-Island

Edited by Icewindo

Oh wow. How sad, I don't use Google Chrome and I don't understand Russian so I'm not sure what was there now but the fact they used your mod to try and get money for themselves is beyond sad. Hopefully they have some sort of DMCA near them to take down such a website.