Sign in to follow this  
Delta Hawk

80s, 90s, early 2000 US Military

I can't wait for these units; I'm actually looking more forward to them than I am ArmA III. I can't wait to recreate some Desert Storm battles! Keep up the good work! ;)

So far:

4 for 101 ABN

2 for 82 ABN

1 for 25 I.D.

I wonder if you can change SSI via HiddenSelections? Kind of like how those Takistani militiamen have different camo vests.

Edited by Laqueesha

Just to show my desert storm guys. I did give the grunts the flak cover while the gun crews, tank crews, and POGs kept a slick flak. This will be my last pic update. Things are coming together. I'm pretty much done with the modeling part for now. I need to redo a few textures, make some extra patches, fix little errors and finish the readme file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28808032/pictures/U.S.%20Military%20Mod%20Preview%2027.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28808032/pictures/U.S.%20Military%20Mod%20Preview%2026.jpg

I think at this point I can confidently, if all things go well, say that on August 30 I will release a beta of my units. This beta will include regular Army, regular Marines, a sailor and an airman, from the 1980s and 1990s, with assorted GI issued gear and packs. So far it looks like the default patch will be 101st AB unless people speak up.

Just to show my desert storm guys. I did give the grunts the flak cover while the gun crews, tank crews, and POGs kept a slick flak. This will be my last pic update. Things are coming together. I'm pretty much done with the modeling part for now. I need to redo a few textures, make some extra patches, fix little errors and finish the readme file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28808032/pictures/U.S.%20Military%20Mod%20Preview%2027.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28808032/pictures/U.S.%20Military%20Mod%20Preview%2026.jpg

I nearly had a heart attack at those Desert Storm guys, oh my goodness! That tanker too! Do you have any jumpsuited tankers? :eek:

I think at this point I can confidently, if all things go well, say that on August 30 I will release a beta of my units. This beta will include regular Army, regular Marines, a sailor and an airman, from the 1980s and 1990s, with assorted GI issued gear and packs. So far it looks like the default patch will be 101st AB unless people speak up.

That's great news! Looking forward to it! :)

Now, when you say a sailor, do you mean one in BDUs or Dungarees/Utilities?

Edited by Laqueesha

25th 25th 25th 25th! :D

Phenomenal work, these guys look fantastic. Any plans on aviation folk?

The units looks really fantastic, I can't wait!

BTW, about the default unit patch, I go for the 101st Airborne Division :)

Those Desert Storm units = Wow... just...wow. Yeah, like Laqueesha, I too have been itching to do some scenarios from the period your units will cover. It's a gap that has gaped for far too long, I'm excited to see that gap filled finally. With Minimalaco's FATA island out, this is really the only one I'm still insanely excited to get my hands on. I even bought a choco-chip camo tee shirt in anticipation!

Laqueesha, what do you mean by SSI? Just about 99% of my units use hidden selections so you could possibly change anything on them as long as they have those parts. I'm also going to include plenty of extra textures for those who want to change the units.

Laqueesha, what do you mean by SSI? Just about 99% of my units use hidden selections so you could possibly change anything on them as long as they have those parts. I'm also going to include plenty of extra textures for those who want to change the units.

Oops, sorry. SSI = Shoulder Sleeve Insignia, aka uniform sleeve patches. I was wondering if you could switch uniform patches on the fly (82 ABN, 101 ABN, etc.). :)

Yes sir, the sleeve patch is a setobjecttexture, so you can change it how ever you want and it's independent from the nametape, collar rank and breast patch selection, yet still on the same texture. Simply, it'll be what everybody hopefully wants and needs to make their own patches.

Yes sir, the sleeve patch is a setobjecttexture, so you can change it how ever you want and it's independent from the nametape, collar rank and breast patch selection, yet still on the same texture. Simply, it'll be what everybody hopefully wants and needs to make their own patches.

Okay, thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. ;)

Yes, the addon will come with option textures for the BDUs, including urban, black, navy blue and OD green. I would do tigerstripe, but I can't find a decent, tileable texture for tigerstripe.

Really awesome screenshots! Very much detailed units.

Few questions though: Will you give us F2 groups for editor? And I would like if the different Camo units would be available without setting something in the init field, to make them different models.

I am looking forward to see these units in ARMA 2! :)

Really awesome screenshots! Very much detailed units.

Few questions though: Will you give us F2 groups for editor? And I would like if the different Camo units would be available without setting something in the init field, to make them different models.

I am looking forward to see these units in ARMA 2! :)

I second that, having some realistic editor groups would be a handy feature for people wanting to make realistic missions but have little expertise in what units are in certain groups.

Also another couple questions (I think these may have been addressed before but I'm not sure, can't seem to find it) Will you be having your own weapons pack or will you be using existing ArmA 2 weapons? ( I know you have your own backpacks)

And will you be having Green Berets/Delta, Rangers, SEAL's, Pj's, Force Recon, ect or just regular infantry/pilots/crewmen?

Edit!

I wonder if some kind of ACRE compatability would be possible for any radio packs? I think that would be really cool and would be enjoyed by the community, just throwing the idea out there...

Edited by Sup3r6F0ur
Added suggestion?

I noticed the DBDU units have reversed flags. But, a few photos show Desert Storm troops with not-reversed flags. Will there be both or just reversed?

Laqueesha, those flags are wrong. The American flag is always moving forward, with the blue field first. More than likely the reason why those flags are reversed is because when desert shield and desert storm happened, the US military was pretty much unprepared to go to the desert. Desert BDUs were issued enroute or just before leaving and these soldiers were probably given the flag patches they had on hand. You can have reversed flags, but that would be against regulation.

Wow, a lot of questions. Instead of addressing those question here I'll address them in the readme and you can explore the units.

What's the line to make the back packs ACE compatible (but not depended).

Ok sounds good Delta, Keep up the awesome work, I can't wait to try these suckers out, I've already got mission scenarios buzzing in my head with these guys. So Excited!!!

Howdy!

ehehehehe, yeah, that T-shaped urban camo would indeed look pretty cool...the 90s had quite a few interessting developments going on...

well Delta, I'd say, if you have the time to make the backpacks ACE compatible without pushing the release back, then go for it! ohhhhh I'm litteraly counting the hours...

Laqueesha, those flags are wrong. The American flag is always moving forward, with the blue field first. More than likely the reason why those flags are reversed is because when desert shield and desert storm happened, the US military was pretty much unprepared to go to the desert. Desert BDUs were issued enroute or just before leaving and these soldiers were probably given the flag patches they had on hand. You can have reversed flags, but that would be against regulation.

Wow, a lot of questions. Instead of addressing those question here I'll address them in the readme and you can explore the units.

ACE backpacks work differently, they're 'weapons' instead of vehicles so you need to set it up like a launcher essentially, probably just need separate class names for them.

It'd be amazing to see these backpacks in ACE

I noticed the DBDU units have reversed flags. But, a few photos show Desert Storm troops with not-reversed flags. Will there be both or just reversed?

Weeeeird. I was going to claim the other possibility, which I considered more likely, was that the photograph itself was flipped/developed horizontally for aesthetic purposes by whatever journalist took it. However, the English faces of the Pepsi cans (q.v. the jarhead behind Bush Sr.) are definitely printed in the correct direction, so my theory is out. Thinking on it, it wouldn't really matter, since it'd be backwards on the wrong sleeve anyway. ;-)

Weeeeird. I was going to claim the other possibility, which I considered more likely, was that the photograph itself was flipped/developed horizontally for aesthetic purposes by whatever journalist took it. However, the English faces of the Pepsi cans (q.v. the jarhead behind Bush Sr.) are definitely printed in the correct direction, so my theory is out. Thinking on it, it wouldn't really matter, since it'd be backwards on the wrong sleeve anyway. ;-)

Here's another picture with flags on backwards. It seems that most pics of U.S. troops in the Gulf War feature backwards flags. The flags were also backwards back in World War II.

Bush_troops.jpg

Not hard at all. Making them ACE compatible does not make them ACE dependent. PM me if you need help.