Sign in to follow this  
Delta Hawk

80s, 90s, early 2000 US Military

This week I'm going to start the journey to finishing for a possible beta release of my units, hopefully finishing next week. Today I finally got around to finishing making the M5 medical bag for medics and corpsman and probably tomorrow I'll get it in game.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28808032/pictures/M5_preview_1.jpg

I'm also thinking about making all the individual items (dressings, IV bags, Atropine injectors, splints .etc) that goes inside of the M5 Medical Bag. What do ya'll think?

---------- Post added at 01:53 ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 ----------

Just to be clear I don't mean I'll be releasing a beta next week. I plan on releasing my units once I have the M1025 with an M2 finished. That'll be my first beta release.

I think the stitches on that pack are a tad too big. Other than that I think your work is superb and I'm looking forward to a release.

I agree with Lennard, stitches are a wee bit too big. Other than that, it looks amazing! :)

I'm also thinking about making all the individual items (dressings, IV bags, Atropine injectors, splints .etc) that goes inside of the M5 Medical Bag. What do ya'll think?

That would be splendid, go for it! :D

I'd like to add the medical items to the pack, but I don't have any credible source of the items, nomenclature or quantities, so until then it'll be empty except for a bunch of field dressings.

I did make a bunch of items that most soldiers will have: dogtags, individual field dressing packs, rifle cleaning kit, flashlight. ear plugs, m17 gas mask .etc. I also made canteens and MRES. By default, every unit that would normal carry two canteens will have two canteens in the mag slots. MREs are also "mags". Though these items don't have a function right now because I can't script, once I get someone to help me out, it will...well...be realistic. Spare m249s and M60 barrels, poncho tents, sleeping bag, hygiene kit and socks are also planned.

Can anyone think of something common for soldiers in the 90s that would serve a purpose or significant to GIs?

I'd like to add the medical items to the pack, but I don't have any credible source of the items, nomenclature or quantities, so until then it'll be empty except for a bunch of field dressings.

I did make a bunch of items that most soldiers will have: dogtags, individual field dressing packs, rifle cleaning kit, flashlight. ear plugs, m17 gas mask .etc. I also made canteens and MRES. By default, every unit that would normal carry two canteens will have two canteens in the mag slots. MREs are also "mags". Though these items don't have a function right now because I can't script, once I get someone to help me out, it will...well...be realistic. Spare m249s and M60 barrels, poncho tents, sleeping bag, hygiene kit and socks are also planned.

Can anyone think of something common for soldiers in the 90s that would serve a purpose or significant to GIs?

Perhaps... flashlights?

Might want to ask Glowbal (can't recall if posted here) but he did a food/water system for Arma 2 he might be able to adapt (used canteens, camelbaks, MREs, ect)

Perhaps... flashlights?

Indeed. I was thinking of those flashlights that are shaped like "L" pipes. Might have red lenses. Seen a lot of those around back in the day.

EDIT: Found it.

104%20(126).jpg

Angle head flash light that doesn't work very well - check.

Red lenses flashlight would come in handly at night especially if you want to play realistically since troops weren't issue individual radios or NVGs.

Edited by Delta Hawk
Typo "weren't"

Angle head flash light that doesn't work very well - check.

Red lenses flashlight would come in handly at night especially if you want to play realistically since troops were issue individual radios or NVGs.

What are you talking about, I still have several of them.... 60% of the time they work all of the time!

Your right Gabravo, they do work, for all three feet they light up, which comes in handy when your face is in the dirt from tripping over a log.

What are you talking about, I still have several of them.... 60% of the time they work all of the time!

LED/SMD LED Clusters > Incandescent bulbs made in the 80's by the lowest bidder

Perhaps a list of items you have so far would help.

From what i recall you've done the vests/Webbing and pouches, the M7 Bayonet, canteens...

Hmm, Entrenching tool? where they carried on the webbing/Ruck or left with vehicles until needed? (Also possible use as a melee weapon if you're so enclined), Radio packs? vest/belt Holsters for the M9? (Example) or M40/M17 masks and carriers?

Also, give in and submit to skype you lazy bugger :D

Edited by Scarecrow398

To the best of my knowledge, I have all the LC2 items made except for the strobe pouch which I'll do later. I do have the M9 holster. I also modeled the M7 and M9 bayonets, gas mask carriers, medic bag, ALICE ruck sack, PASGT flak and helmet, RBA and IBA vest, LBE, LBV and M203 vests.

For the items you can put in your inventory I have as "items" dogtags, M7 & M9 bayonet, individual field dressing, rifle cleaning kit, earplugs and angle head flashlight. "Magazine" items include canteen and MRE.

I'll make the E tool, which was often carried on the ruck, M60 & M249 spare barrel, poncho tents, sleeping bag, hygiene kit and socks.

Plus much more.

Sounds very promising! :)

Have you considered adding some early 80's marines with the old M1 steel helmets?

To the best of my knowledge, I have all the LC2 items made except for the strobe pouch which I'll do later. I do have the M9 holster. I also modeled the M7 and M9 bayonets, gas mask carriers, medic bag, ALICE ruck sack, PASGT flak and helmet, RBA and IBA vest, LBE, LBV and M203 vests.

For the items you can put in your inventory I have as "items" dogtags, M7 & M9 bayonet, individual field dressing, rifle cleaning kit, earplugs and angle head flashlight. "Magazine" items include canteen and MRE.

I'll make the E tool, which was often carried on the ruck, M60 & M249 spare barrel, poncho tents, sleeping bag, hygiene kit and socks.

Plus much more.

Holy crap! Now thats what I'd call "rich inner world"! :D

@Fingolfin, I have, sort of. I considered a lot of things such as doing Vietnam era units and making just the M1 helmet, but in the end it would require me making more stuff that will slow me down, plus I already have about 369 units plus I have other units planned like Rangers and Sailors and Airmen and other logistic units plus early 2000 troops. The config file is over 11,000 lines with just 80s and 90s and I don't really want to add a whole new era of Marines and Soldiers to it just yet .esp since I haven't started on the early 2000s.

Thanks guys for your comments. It motivates me to continue with enthusiasm knowing people are looking forward to my hard work. :D

Have you considered adding some early 80's marines with the old M1 steel helmets?

You mean like these?

M16A1

M1911A1

M69 flak vest

ERDL BDUs

M1 steelpot helmet with ERDL cover

You mean like these?

M16A1

M1911A1

M69 flak vest

ERDL BDUs

M1 steelpot helmet with ERDL cover

I think he means a bit later. I've seen pictures of the US Army like in your picture but I have also seen pictures of the US Army with US woodland BDU's and a woodland covers on their M1 helmets. With some wearing the PASGT vest and some wearing the M69

I think he means a bit later. I've seen pictures of the US Army like in your picture but I have also seen pictures of the US Army with US woodland BDU's and a woodland covers on their M1 helmets. With some wearing the PASGT vest and some wearing the M69

Exactly:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/US_Marines_behind_fence_Grenada_1983.JPEG

http://www.kingsacademy.com/mhodges/03_The-World-since-1900/13_The-Reagan-80s/pictures/FSH-592_US-Marines-in-Grenada_1983.jpg

To do Marines and Soldiers with M1 helmets would mean I would have to make a whole new set of Marines and Soldiers. Like I said before, I have about 369 individual units in game. I'm not crazy about making new groups right now. Though I will probably make a M1 helmet for the navy guys. By the way that is a freakin awesome picture, though I'm quite curious why those devil dogs feel the need to set up their mg team towards the jungle instead of a clear field of fire.

Seeing that picture also brings to mind how do ya'll feel about M60 bandoliers as backpacks, carried by the ammo bearer? The "backpack" would be of 4 m60 bandoliers which will carry 4 100 round belts for a total of 400 rounds. It would have horrible clipping issues from the cloth straps draped over the gear though.

Edited by Delta Hawk

(...)

Seeing that picture also brings to mind how do ya'll feel about M60 bandoliers as backpacks, carried by the ammo bearer? The "backpack" would be of 4 m60 bandoliers which will carry 4 100 round belts for a total of 400 rounds. It would have horrible clipping issues from the cloth straps draped over the gear though.

That's a pretty sweet idea IMHO, even with the clipping issues ;)

By the way that is a freakin awesome picture, though I'm quite curious why those devil dogs feel the need to set up their mg team towards the jungle instead of a clear field of fire.

To cut down the trees ofcourse...

A lot of that older gear borderlines on a Vietnam mod, which I won't do alone. I'm already doing this by myself.

But I'm still working. I made a CVC helmet last week for tank crews along with smaller stuff. I'm thinking about making the .45 shoulder holsters common with tankers. This week I'm making a ST-138 with PRC-77 and I might make a PRC-119 also depending on how well this goes. I'm thinking about making the 6 color chocolate chip flak cover for the "Desert Storm" units, what do ya'll think? That will probably be a week and half project. Hopefully within a couple weeks I can weight them and have them in game.

There's no such thing as "too much 6-color DBDUs" so I say bring it! :bounce3: