Sign in to follow this  
h34dup

[CAMP] Lions of Kandahar

Headup, where is the link for the campaign?

Not yet on armaholic nor on first post...

Correct, until the link is public on Armaholic I am holding off on posting it here, only hidden in my earlier post at the moment for the more observant.

Yeah, I found it 20 seconds after posting....

Hey there, thanks for the early feedback and glad you are liking it so far, my comments are above in red.

And I expect a lot of people will experience Variable's problem with ONS A2 version versus OA/CO version (I did myself initially). I tried to call this out in the download pages and the first post of this thread, but it's inevitably confusing.

No probs at all. I'm loving the feel of this thus far and I knew some of the 'funnies' would be from my setup.

A couple of minor 'quirks' after completing the training run if I may :-

* The square box that comes up on the right, containing Abdul's thoughts mentioned the market twice or possibly three times, but we were at waypoints about halfway round the course in the scrub at the time.

* This is probably me being very picky sorry, but should Col.Jarred (the company commander) really be taking the training run?

No probs at all. I'm loving the feel of this thus far and I knew some of the 'funnies' would be from my setup.

A couple of minor 'quirks' after completing the training run if I may :-

* The square box that comes up on the right, containing Abdul's thoughts mentioned the market twice or possibly three times, but we were at waypoints about halfway round the course in the scrub at the time.

Yeah that was sort of just me writing stream-of-consciousness style to give players something to read, the run is rather long (as it should be)

* This probably me being very picky sorry, but should Col.Jarred (the company commander) really be taking the training run?

Probably not, but the book mentions he is an avid runner, and since he isn't introduced in Mission 1 but plays a central role throughout the Camp, I wanted to give players some time with him.

By all means keep it coming, your feedback is great to hear! Glad you are digging the feel of the Camp, this is something I am really proud of in terms of the result.

Woo-hoo!!! It is now live on Armaholic! First post updated, links can be found here as well:

Download from Armaholic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18194

Alternate Mirror #1: http://www.armaholic.net/colombia/scenarios/campaigns/LionsOfKandahar-v05-beta.rar

Alternate Mirror #2: http://www.h34dup.com/uploads/arma/LionsOfKandahar-v05-beta.rar

If you enjoy this Campaign, please do me a huge favor and rate it or comment on it on Armaholic! Help other players find this Campaign and enjoy it too!

Thanks to everyone who helped me over the past 4+ months as I went from an intermediate editor with a lot of lofty ideas, to having a Campaign with full voice and intros/outros under my belt. Special thanks go to Wiki, Kommiekat, Laqueesha, and AZCoder for being the core support, contributing to everything from Voice Acting to Play-Testing, nothing was too much to ask from these guys and this Camp would not have been possible without their help!

Congrats on release I know it was a lot of work for you!! Hopefully I'll have some time to play it soon :p

Guys, do you also have error window with message "Cannot load texture ONS_core\inv\cc_130h.paa" wenn you launch this campaign with all needed addons. I have operation Nortstar v0.5 for OA/CO.

Guys, do you also have error window with message "Cannot load texture ONS_core\inv\cc_130h.paa" wenn you launch this campaign with all needed addons. I have operation Northstar v0.5 for OA/CO.

Yes, this error message is a known issue and has to do with the ONS addon, not the Campaign. It's nothing to worry about and can be disregarded as it won't affect anything.

[Note to self. Will be up late tonight, must get coffee]

Looks absolutely awesome. I loved the book and am quite curious to see how this plays out. Many thanks for creating and sharing it with us!

As I'm enjoying my first full playthrough of the Camp myself, I have picked up one bug worth noting in Mission 6:

In Mission 6, the radio, and as a result, much of the dialogue, is disabled during the Canadian mission. The task hints and descriptions are enough to help guide you, but be aware of that-- easy fix in an update probably in the next week or two.

A few more very minor tweaks to be made for the next update, but nothing major on my end. The key is to play with only the required addons, even unrelated mods can potentially affect the experience.

Congrats on the release!

I'm on mission 3 (i think).

-nice attention to detail

-nice ipod music choices going

-interesting interaction with the UAV (that was a surprise for me!)

-nice informational updating throughout the mission in various forms.

I will HAVE to finish this before more "nice" comments can be given out but this campaign will be up there with the big ones for sure.

I had one personal situation in a mission (I can't recall the name):

The one with the mortar attack.

I get the mortar and tripod but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to set it up.

It's almost like one of those ACE things.

Perhaps a bit of instruction on that? I just stood and watched the guys lay waste to the baddies.

I had one personal situation in a mission (I can't recall the name):

The one with the mortar attack.

I get the mortar and tripod but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to set it up.

It's almost like one of those ACE things.

Perhaps a bit of instruction on that? I just stood and watched the guys lay waste to the baddies.

Re the mortars :-

I mouse wheeled to get the mortar calculator up and then just clicked on the place I wanted to hit, but as to whether my random firing into the air after that hit what I was meant to I've no idea!?

Chinook pilot's voice :-

Was this done by Wiki? Anyway, I LOL'd big time. Maybe I shouldn't have but it's high pitch and composition tickled me - thanks :)

Great going h34dup, this certainly has a very professional feel to it. Onwards and upwards...

Edited by HackerSlasher

Re the mortars :-

I mouse wheeled to get the mortar calculator up and then just clicked on the place I wanted to hit, but as to whether my random firing into the air after that hit what I was meant to I've no idea!?

Chinook pilot's voice :-

Was this done by Wiki? Anyway, I LOL'd big time. Maybe I shouldn't have but it's high pitch and composition tickled me - thanks :)

Great going h34dup, this certainly has a very professional feel to it. Onwards and upwards...

I can't get it set up on the ground.

After I load it as Gear on my back, I go to the designation spot, Drop it and that's that. I have no idea what to do to set the Mortar on the Tripod. The computer calculator should pose no problem.

I can't get it set up on the ground.

After I load it as Gear on my back, I go to the designation spot, Drop it and that's that. I have no idea what to do to set the Mortar on the Tripod. The computer calculator should pose no problem.

I think went to the tripod with the mortar carried, then looked at the tripod and mouse wheeled to get the deploy or create the mortar option, but I can't remember exactly sorry.

I think went to the tripod with the mortar carried, then looked at the tripod and mouse wheeled to get the deploy or create the mortar option, but I can't remember exactly sorry.

You are correct-- with the Mortar backpack on your back, go to the Tripod bag and aim at it, then you will get an action to assemble the mortar. This is outlined in the Editor's Notes of the briefing too.

EDIT: I'll make a note to add a hint for this in the next update.

Edited by h34dup

^^^^

Sorry man, didn't mean to create additional work for you just because of my ignorance....

Not at all my man, this is a rough beta, there will inevitably be bugs and points of confusion. It is good these things are being identified now so they can be addressed, it takes no time at all to add a convenient hint for a point of confusion like this.

Speaking of, now that I'm hearing more from testers, another potential source of confusion in Mission 11 ("Holding on at all costs") which I will address in the next update - there is a satellite phone on the hood of the GMV next to Ron, you are supposed to use this to call in AC-130 support to defend your position. Takin the Talibs on by yourself will inevitably result in failure, use the firepower of the Spectre to even the odds!

Wow this is really something... I've just bought a copy of the 'Lion of Kandahar' and I'm going to finish it off before playing your campaign. Although I am tempted to start it now :P

I've started the campaign last night and I'm amazed by the amount of thought and effort you put into it. Great job!

Headup, have you contacted the author to let him know about this great tribute to his novel?

Hi!

I think this campaign is the most realistic one I've played so far. Love that we drive around in Humvees, it gives a sort of Generation Kill feeling. I am really enjoying it.

I have a problem though, in mission 7. We reach the first village, but everybody just sits still. You're supposed to hang tight and await further orders but nothing happens. Any ideas?

Also, like Kommiekat I really cant set the mortar up in mission 8. When i pick up the mortar bag from Ole Girl, run over to the tripod bag and look at it, I the only action available is "pick up tripod" or ACE action button "drag tripod". Maybe the campaign is not Ace compatible at all times?

Thank you for this awesome campaign!