Sign in to follow this  
h34dup

[CAMP] Lions of Kandahar

I'd be wary of adding new vehicles as it'll add dependancies that are likely to reduce the potential audience

As cool as the RG-31 is, and as excited as I am to do something with it, the MRAP will not be making an appearance in LoK-- it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the story, ODA331 used GMVs (Ground Motor Vehicles), assault-customized HMMWVs that are approximated by the SOV from vanilla OA. I would like to do something more recent in a separate project, with the OCP (multicam) uniforms, MRAPs, and other fun details, but that is one in a bucket of a dozen ideas to play with after LoK.

Been working through the intros/outros-- finished M6 outro, M7 intro/outro, and M8 intro. Working on M8 outro, still a good bit of work left. The release date may have to be pushed back a week or two. The cinematics are good (in my own humble opinion), so they're worth taking the time to perfect.

Wow glad you have the patience for that.. I could spend all day hunting down the odd behaviour of an AI unit but can't fight through 5 minutes of that stuff :p

Things are getting a bit intense-- my obsession with this project is at what I hope is the height, feels like it's getting a bit unhealthy. Talk about an artist suffering for his art-- my mind is constantly occupied with this Campaign, I sometimes have dreams about the story, or dreams that I'm trapped in the editor somehow haha. It's tough to focus sometimes when I'm not working on this project, but I know that this Camp has the potential to be really well-received, and I'm at the home stretch here basically.

Just need to finish off these cinematics and make the fixes uncovered during testing and then I can have a break and maybe do a short and quick SP scenario release.

Things are getting a bit intense-- my obsession with this project is at what I hope is the height, feels like it's getting a bit unhealthy. Talk about an artist suffering for his art-- my mind is constantly occupied with this Campaign, I sometimes have dreams about the story, or dreams that I'm trapped in the editor somehow haha. It's tough to focus sometimes when I'm not working on this project, but I know that this Camp has the potential to be really well-received, and I'm at the home stretch here basically.

Just need to finish off these cinematics and make the fixes uncovered during testing and then I can have a break and maybe do a short and quick SP scenario release.

Well good luck then and don't burn yourself out. I'm sure they will be on the level of the official BIS campaigns although I must admit I've never played those :p

I'm sure they will be on the level of the official BIS campaigns although I must admit I've never played those :p

So let's hope it will be even better hehe...

Edited by Variable

Well good luck then and don't burn yourself out. I'm sure they will be on the level of the official BIS campaigns although I must admit I've never played those :p

So let's hope it will be even better hehe...

I am beginning to feel confident that this Campaign will go over well, and perhaps for some players it will be up there with BIS-released content or Op: Cobalt / Blood on the Sand (which set the standard in my eyes). If people who have played one of my SP Scenarios enjoyed them, they will get more to like in Lions. My style of editing is pretty simple and rather safe, but I tried to bring as much variety into the missions as possible, within the confines of Rusty's actual story.

The intros/outros are going well- they serve their purpose either by providing a closer look at the story, or by helping set the stage for the missions by showing conditions in the AO. Good progress last night saw me get through the outro for M8 and the intro to M9. Should be able to get even more done in the next day or two.

Edited by h34dup

Decided this morning that I'm going to cut M14 - Epilogue from the initial release, and I'll release it in the first update (or as soon as it's ready). This is in the interests of getting the Camp out ASAP, so I'll have 2 less cinematics to worry about and I'll have more time to actually make the scenario and work out the voice stuff, etc.

I've been really inspired by Far Cry 3 and Skyrim, and would like to give the Epilogue enough time to make it a more detailed "treasure hunt" that allows you to revisit scenes from the Camp and collect intel, hunt down randomly-spawned enemies and IEDs.

Great news all: this weekend I finished the last of the intros/outros and checked off most of my project list! All that is left to do is to tie up some loose ends, get a few voice acting lines in, and have my little QA team do a second round of play-testing.

The planned public beta release date for the Lions of Kandahar (LoK) Campaign is this Friday, December 14, 2012!

Thanks guys, yes this Friday looks to be the ETA, I'm going to submit to Armaholic Thursday evening EST, assuming there are no disasters (everything is triple-backed up).

So looking forward to this, h34dup! The source material is compelling, and you've got a great track record, not to mention a clear dedication to the project. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

More tweaks and improvements made last night, test builds were sent out to my testers, along with the last minute voice lines. There may be one or two bugs or voice lines missing from the public release, but things should be pretty much good to go by Friday!

To everyone who has posted their words of support, offered to help, or even just lurked and followed this project's progress, thank you! In a couple more days you guys will get to check out the result of 4 months of work (surprised that's all it took!), I hope you will enjoy.

Packed everything up into a single Campaign, aside from a few missing voice lines, everything should be good to go for the initial release. I'll take some time tomorrow to go through everything once more before submitting.

As a beta and a first release, there are bound to be bugs and fixes to be made. My plan is to release a first update around Xmas time.

Submitted to Armaholic! Keep an eye on it Friday for a link to download the public beta. I'll update the thread when it's up in the newsfeed.

As a thank you to those observant followers of this thread, you can download it now if you want from here.

Hmmm I receive an error message after the first intro "cannot play this campaign it depends on an addon inko_disposable". I installed it (link), but still the same error message.

Anyone else getting this?

Yeah, it is because you havent the good version of ONS.

There are 2 versions, and you've taken the Arma 2 version whereas you need to take the Arrowhead version.

Take it on armaholic.

Yeah, it is because you havent the good version of ONS.

There are 2 versions, and you've taken the Arma 2 version whereas you need to take the Arrowhead version.

Take it on armaholic.

Thanks Wiki. I got the wrong version somehow... The version of the link in the first post is good. Fixed.

Great so far...

Here's a few little things that I've noticed so far :-

* Just a thought, but it might be worth adding Mad_Buildings to the requirements list as it's a separate download and required by Rasmaan : http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=17250

The following might just be on my game, so worth seeing if others get the following :-

* Lt.Col.Bolduo was outside of the hangar at the start, not behind Capt.Shef as he stated. Consequently the 8 hour debrief was done outside of it.

* Sgt.Zack was also outside the hangar, a little way from the marker.

* There's a big camo net inside the hangar.

Great so far...

Here's a few little things that I've noticed so far :-

* Just a thought, but it might be worth adding Mad_Buildings to the requirements list as it's a separate download and required by Rasmaan : http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=17250

A very good point, thanks for reminding me about this, I'll try to PM the Armaholic guys and I'll update the first post

The following might just be on my game, so worth seeing if others get the following :-

* Lt.Col.Bolduo was outside of the hangar at the start, not behind Capt.Shef as he stated. Consequently the 8 hour debrief was done outside of it.

This is downright strange, never heard of this happening to myself or any of my 5 testers-- I'm pretty sure there was only one release of Reshmaan too right, or I'd be inclined to suggest it's the island and a moved building. Either that or if you are running any mods outside of the requirements it can definitely lead to unpredictable behavior. Hopefully that's just a freak occurrence.

* Sgt.Zack was also outside the hangar, a little way from the marker.

* There's a big camo net inside the hangar.

This is supposed to be on-purpose, part of the decor ;)

Hey there, thanks for the early feedback and glad you are liking it so far, my comments are above in red.

And I expect a lot of people will experience Variable's problem with ONS A2 version versus OA/CO version (I did myself initially). I tried to call this out in the download pages and the first post of this thread, but it's inevitably confusing.

Headup, where is the link for the campaign?

Not yet on armaholic nor on first post...