Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Army of the Czech Republic DLC

Because I want to keep all of the games/DLC organized by one method of purchase.

That method should be Sprocket than. It keeps downloads and keys all in one place so you can easily reinstall anytime. Patches are available as soon as they are released. You can install the stuff anywhere. You can even burn the installs to DVD if you wanted something physical and reinstall from that anywhere you'd like. Also the money goes directly to BIS.

Steam can't do any of that.

Sometimes even with Steam ArmA II, OA, and the modules have occasional trouble acting together under CO.

Especially with Steam I think you mean. :) I started out with Steam installs, and after 600+ hours played scrapped it entirely and switched to all Sprocket downloads. Now I have everything installed to a single folder, everything works flawlessly. No permission issues since it's not installed under Program Files. No file path issues with shortcuts because Steam installs everything in novel trilogy length paths.

Edited by kylania

That method should be Sprocket than. It keeps downloads and keys all in one place so you can easily reinstall anytime.... Steam can't do any of that.

You're kidding right? You can backup everything with Steam. Also, reinstallations are about a million times easier. Just reinstall Steam, then click on everything once to reinstall. With Sprocket, you need to download a separate install file for everything, then all the patches, and then install it all manually.

I like to get as much money as possible to BIS too, but Steam is just so much easier and convenient that anything else out there.

I'll get ArmA 3 via Sprocket or whatever is necessary, but since I have A2, OA, BAF and PMC through Steam, I'm going to wait for ACR to hit Steam. Simple as that.

I'll get ArmA 3 via Sprocket or whatever is necessary, but since I have A2, OA, BAF and PMC through Steam, I'm going to wait for ACR to hit Steam. Simple as that.

This. And still waiting, impatiently at this point.

Because I want to keep all of the games/DLC organized by one method of purchase.

but that's the worst possible way to keep things: all in one place and out of your hands. why would you want *that*? that's the real question

Because I already own multiple copies of the game and that is where I have the most complete set and the one I use. Also because no matter the format, I still don't OWN the game. Why do you care what I want is the real question.

Why do you care what I want is the real question.

Because he's a steam fanboi and can't comprehend life before Valve.

Wait what? I do hope you are not talking about me. I hate steam. I just so happen to enjoy saving money and not caring that their EULA is the same as everyone else. If not, then disregard.

No, not you, fear not. The fella you were replying to. :)

I think you're confused, Tankbuster. I was putting Steam down, GRS was defending it, and I'm the fanboi?

does. not. compute. :confused:

anyway, GRS, if you have multiple copies and use Steam for convenience, I can't blame you. I mean, in my eyes it's a mistake, but who am I to tell you what to do? keep supporting monopolies and hurting developers

Ok, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure. :cool:

I think you're confused, Tankbuster. I was putting Steam down, GRS was defending it, and I'm the fanboi?

At least one of us is confused, that's for sure. :)

does. not. compute. :confused:

anyway, GRS, if you have multiple copies and use Steam for convenience, I can't blame you. I mean, in my eyes it's a mistake, but who am I to tell you what to do? keep supporting monopolies and hurting developers

Yeah....

And I'm hardly "defending" steam. If you had read my posts, you will note that my reason has nothing to do with support for steam. If I had them all from sprocket, I'd do the same.

:j:

I buy nearly 90% of all my games through Steam now a day's. So reliable and rarely lets me down.

The "mistake" is on your part thinking Steam "hurts developers".

However, your anti-Steam rants are getting off-topic.

what hurts developers is buying from Steam instead of directly from developers. monopolies also hurt economy, in case you didn't know. your argument is invalid

what hurts developers is buying from Steam instead of directly from developers. monopolies also hurt economy, in case you didn't know. your argument is invalid

If steam causes hurt for developers, then why do they still use it?

Frankly, I think you are speaking out of your arse.

Also, you obviously have no idea what a monopoly is.

Some board game with a creepy man on the box cover.

Yeah, maybe that's what he meant, though I don't see how a board game hurts the economy... Maybe if it makes people buy fewer computer games? :) To stay a bit on topic, I'm getting a "Out of memory" error on the Thorn Tree mission, just after the "defend" task is completed. Anyone knows why that happens, never had any such problem before. I'm using the Steam version of OA.

Yeah, maybe that's what he meant, though I don't see how a board game hurts the economy... Maybe if it makes people buy fewer computer games? :) To stay a bit on topic, I'm getting a "Out of memory" error on the Thorn Tree mission, just after the "defend" task is completed. Anyone knows why that happens, never had any suck problem before. I'm using the Steam version of OA.

So a monopoly based on monopoly increasing sales of it and other board games to hurt game devs..woah..that is deep.

That's ridiculous.. The PC market has never been that healthy since the digital market got that big. Steam does take 30% as far as I know, but for indies it's 70% of the sales that get directly back at them. Back in the days when they needed a publisher they wouldn't get half of that, not even close. Before Steam and the like they never got that much attention anyway. People buy on Steam because it's more convenient, however nothing is stopping BIS from making ArmaIII Steamworks and getting 100% profits from the keys they sell themselves on their website, if the price is better people will buy on their store.

Anyway Steam has plenty of competitors, nothing is forcing devs or publishers to use it. You have plenty of great quality alternatives. Steam is nothing close to having a monopoly nor is it likely to happen on Windows or any other third party operating system, that's the most ignorant thing I'm hearing a lot these days..

Notch himself said recently that Minecraft never sold that fast and there was no point for him to join Steam while Minecraft is at its pick of popularity. Steam is a good thing because as a service provider with a huge consumer base, it will always give your game the best chance to sell. It's hardly hurting anyone nor anything. Although it's up to the devs or publishers to do whatever they want, fanboys wanting everything on Steam can be annoying that's true as are those with a blind hatred toward it.

I don't know about him but you in the other hand certainly don't..

Edited by dunedain

The figures are irrelevant. Any way you look at it, Sprocket is the best way to make sure your money goes to BIS.

I'm sorry, I thought this was the ACR DLC thread, not the "Steam sucks!"/"Steam is awesome!" thread...

I'm sorry, I thought this was the ACR DLC thread, not the yet another "Steam sucks!"/"Steam is awesome!" thread...

Fixed that for you.

Edited by MadDogX