Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Army of the Czech Republic DLC

It's up to the person that has them to prove they exist.

There is a lot of proof that AI is not all-seeing but zero proof that it can see you through bushes and walls and whatnot.

So sure man - people who did actual tests are wrong and people who only have words like "AI sees through everything!!11" (common sense being that if it was true firefights would last for 5 seconds, common sense is clearly for the weak) are of course credible.

I'm not saying they see through everything but there are odd times where they do get xray vision through buildings, groups of trees and to a lesser extent [For me] bushes.

The difficulty is like I've said, you'd have to have FRAPS running for stupid amounts of time taking up multiple terabytes of space just to catch these moments where the conditions are met

that cause them to behave that way and then hope that it was even captured on screen.

The same with some vehicles having 360 degree vision which was a back and forth "Yes they do", "no they don't" argument for weeks in another thread.

Playing around in the editor it appears to me AI can see through windows with near perfect clarity regardless if they are boarded up, cracked to hell or covered in paint..etc

basicly the AI vision values are the same for clear windows as they are for ones that are next to impossible for the player to see through putting the player at an disadvantage.

If Arma was just some run of the mill FPS shooter like Battlefield this wouldn't be such a problem but complexity of the engine along with large amounts of vehicles, weapons, ammo types, infrantry..etc

combined with an open sandbox enviroment means not everyone is going to see the same things as everyone else.

You can reproduce some bugs at will while others just appear out of the blue and it's just a stroke of luck if you can manage to catch them on video.

There are plenty of bugs people complain about all the time since release that I've never witnessed myself which is why I would never deny they exist.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere here that desktop and server resources do have an effect on the way AI behave, that could be another variable. I'm not a VR guru.

---------- Post added at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

It's up to the person that has them to prove they exist.

There is a lot of proof that AI is not all-seeing but zero proof that it can see you through bushes and walls and whatnot.

So sure man - people who did actual tests are wrong and people who only have words like "AI sees through everything!!11" (common sense being that if it was true firefights would last for 5 seconds, common sense is clearly for the weak) are of course credible.

I'm not saying they see through everything but there are odd times where they do get xray vision through buildings, groups of trees and to a lesser extent [For me] bushes.

The difficulty is like I've said, you'd have to have FRAPS running for stupid amounts of time taking up multiple terabytes of space just to catch these moments where the conditions are met

that cause them to behave that way and then hope that it was even captured on screen.

The same with some vehicles having 360 degree vision which was a back and forth "Yes they do", "no they don't" argument for weeks in another thread.

Playing around in the editor it appears to me AI can see through windows with near perfect clarity regardless if they are boarded up, cracked to hell or covered in paint..etc

basicly the AI vision values are the same for clear windows as they are for ones that are next to impossible for the player to see through putting the player at an disadvantage.

If Arma was just some run of the mill FPS shooter like Battlefield this wouldn't be such a problem but complexity of the engine along with large amounts of vehicles, weapons, ammo types, infrantry..etc

combined with an open sandbox enviroment means not everyone is going to see the same things as everyone else.

You can reproduce some bugs at will while others just appear out of the blue and it's just a stroke of luck if you can manage to catch them on video.

There are plenty of bugs people complain about all the time since release that I've never witnessed myself which is why I would never deny they exist.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere here that desktop and server resources do have an effect on the way AI behave, that could be another variable. I'm not a VR guru.

does anyone know if the ACR lite patch thats on the bis site works with steam version as well? Or do we have to wait still for that one?

Use spoiler tags when discussing the campaign please.

Hey guys. I was wondering if you could help in any way. I'm unable to install the new ACR DLC. Here's what I wrote to store@bistudio.com, I got no response so far.

"Hello I purchased this addon content the other day and have downloaded the addon twice now and tried to install it. I get the error message "Error during execution "setup.exe" Access is denied." Downloaded from Sprocket and via the direct link. Also AVG Anti-virus reports Setup.exe as an Win32/Heur virus, probably a false positive though. Can you please instruct me on how I could possible go about resolving this issue."

I'm running windows 7 Ultimate 64. Any help or where I can direct my problem to would be appreciated.

It's a false positive, AVG is a rubbish antivirus. I use Kaspersky and it brings up no issues:

acrnovirusesavgisrubbis.jpg

Edited by Placebo

It's a false positive, AVG is a rubbish antivirus. I use kaspersky and it brings up no issues:

that's what I figured but it still doesn't help me with the install problem. I've redownloaded this several times and it still refuses to install. Really quite angry about this problem.

What's denying access? AVG? Have you disabled AVG completely then tried installing it? Running the installer as admin?

What's denying access? AVG? Have you disabled AVG completely then tried installing it? Running the installer as admin?

Ahh, I should've tried it with AVG disabled, that seems to have been the problem. I'm an idiot. Thanks Placebo.

I'm not saying they see through everything but there are odd times where they do get xray vision through buildings, groups of trees and to a lesser extent [For me] bushes.....

think this is a better place for your guys discussion.

I didn't find the campaign overly great and I didn't like the relative lack of cutscenes and voice acting. Those are usually the things that seperate BIs campaigns from the excellent usermade campaigns out there and I am sorry to say this campaign wasn't nearly as enjoyable as some user made ones, so without those things it was really not to enjoyable.

Although the maps are rips of previous maps they are still different enough for me to want to play on them instead of old Chernarus. Unfortunately they don't look very good however do to the LOD issue from 1.62. trees more than 10 metres away all look like paper for me.

But I found the the czech soldiers were all very neat and I think that they are a good enough reason to buy the DLC. I just hope that BIS has something better planned interms of mission design and campaign for arma 3.

In fact the campaign shows off what I seek in an Arma campaign, a varied experience.

In this aspect, several fan mission makers could learn a thing or two, they always do the same shit, infantry missions after infantry missions, all even in the same scope (squad vs squad, on the attack, usually). No stealth missions, no search missions, no ambush missions, no tank missions, no transport missions with choppers, very few truly combined ops missions, etc. Arma allows for a ton of variety, but few mission makers use it.

Well, some of the mission makers DO try to offer variety i their missions:

Sick1, Zipper5, SaOk, myself...

Go first person in the touring car. Turn left, turn right. Prepare to question how cars work over at Czech.

Go first person in the touring car. Turn left, turn right. Prepare to question how cars work over at Czech.

Yep. Also check out the license plate.

Yeah :) Skoda Octavia has its steering wheel anim reversed.

So when is BIS going to admit this was released too early by accident? I like the new DLC but there are A LOT of things that seem to point to an accidental early release :D eg:

Obvious bugs,

Things that seem unfinished (soldiers using same face, tree roots sticking out of ground, texture oddities, no real polish on campaign, Cut scenes etc),

Non proof read mission instructions,

EULA not in English,

No announcement of release,

The fact it wasn't supposed to be out until mid Aug.

Heh anyway like I said, I like it and don't want my tenner back :) . I just have to give you BIS guys a poke when you mess up. I aint no fan boy :P. The main reason I don't mind is that even though it's a mess up, I know you will fix it. That's all I ever ask from a developer.

-------New bug----

I'm sure the rest of you have seen the odd levitating trees by now with their cut off roots? I put this on Devheaven if anyone wants to add to it: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/39789 Looks pretty bad to me.

The characterisation lazy has cropped up several times now in reviews by community members and I am afraid I must concur with this harsh judgement. It is not only the amount of bugs, but also the nature of them, that present an image of a sloppy production process for this DLC. It certainly appears to fit the infamous mould of the 'It compiles, let's ship it' school of software release. It is not just some language errors that escaped through the cracks, there are significant failings all across the board with this release of the Army of the Czech Republic DLC.

Producing content that moves, makes sounds and looks good in a screenshot is allright for a hobbyist, one places the addon on desert island, gives it a spin in the editor and then deletes it from the drive to make space for other things. With freebies from an amateur various faults and concentration on a single aspect to the exclusion of others are to be expected and accepted, but a software company delivering a product to paying customers should strive to attain higher standards. In this case, the professionals appear to have dropped the ball and released a product in alpha status without conducting basic testing according to industry standards.

If the AAN screenshots are taken as an indication of the moment work was under way on this product it seems hard to believe that no time was available to conduct a proper review of the components making up this release. There was evidently time to devote to making screenshots for marketing purposes, but judging by experience of using this initial release version even basic tests of the functionality of the content have been neglected. Given the uniform high standard of the British Armed Forces release this downloadable content is quite disappointing in comparison. Releasing work of this quality is basically unprofessional.

Regards,

Sander

The characterisation lazy has cropped up several times now in reviews by community members and I am afraid I must concur with this harsh judgement. It is not only the amount of bugs, but also the nature of them, that present an image of a sloppy production process for this DLC. It certainly appears to fit the infamous mould of the 'It compiles, let's ship it' school of software release. It is not just some language errors that escaped through the cracks, there are significant failings all across the board with this release of the Army of the Czech Republic DLC.

Producing content that moves, makes sounds and looks good in a screenshot is allright for a hobbyist, one places the addon on desert island, gives it a spin in the editor and then deletes it from the drive to make space for other things. With freebies from an amateur various faults and concentration on a single aspect to the exclusion of others are to be expected and accepted, but a software company delivering a product to paying customers should strive to attain higher standards. In this case, the professionals appear to have dropped the ball and released a product in alpha status without conducting basic testing according to industry standards.

If the AAN screenshots are taken as an indication of the moment work was under way on this product it seems hard to believe that no time was available to conduct a proper review of the components making up this release. There was evidently time to devote to making screenshots for marketing purposes, but judging by experience of using this initial release version even basic tests of the functionality of the content have been neglected. Given the uniform high standard of the British Armed Forces release this downloadable content is quite disappointing in comparison. Releasing work of this quality is basically unprofessional.

Regards,

Sander

Spot on.

Been playing the first mission, and is it me, or is the A.I almost dead on accurate with their accuracy....

I also found them to be quite accurate. Frustratingly so - the machine gun toting farmers are especially deadly. Not only that but they are also really good at spotting and far better than your own guys who are supposed to be recon. At the moment I'm trying to approach an area through woods and even with all of them on stealth and prone the enemy AI mostly gets the drop on them and the medic is almost always the first to go, poor guy. It all adds up to an annoying amount of restarts if you want to complete the mission without losing a squad member.

Edited by Snafu

This really does feel rushed. I hope it is just rushed and not laziness. I've been playing the campaign and while I am having fun it feels like very little effort was put into it. When I first read the amount of missions in the campaign I was pretty excited. Unfortunately after playing it I gotta say it's very bland. This doesn't feel like the usual BIS campaign. What I was really hoping for was a great campaign to inspire me to get back into mission making.

I do appreciate the added content though. Hopefully you plan to fix things up in future patches.

I do enjoy the new units and vehicles. The terrains are a bit of a let down to me since they are my preferred toys. Not withstanding the fresh look well it's basically some parts of Chernarus with light modifications. It's disappointing. Can't say anything about the campaign because I'm at the first mission. I was mostly using the firing range and test the weapons which was quite fun. Had a go at the SP and now I'm starting to play the campaign. It's also disappointing to hear that there are no intros nor outro's I'm curious about the flooding though.

Rushed release? I dunno!

Quality control is the weak (Achilles) spot of BIS. They will have a new chance with A3 . . .if it's going to be a buggy release that label will stick than for the lifetime to BIS. They can't allow themselves to screw up on that matter in question. At least the missions gotta work without game breaking flaws. It's the first thing a new buyer tries out.

I'm not entirely disappointed though. If I consider what DLC's I can get from other developers for the same price and it's content. seeing it from that point of view it's content rich . . . 2 semi new terrains 1 other cutout of Takistan, Unit's, vehicles, campaign.

I don't complain. My only wish is that they get their facts with the quality control straight.

Sometimes I'm wondering if it ever will be possible to release a flawless ArmA game. Given the magnitude and the scale of this game I doubt that seriously.