Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Operation E3

Yes you are trained to engage armoires vehicles even with small arms... But your not supposed to do it while standing in the open.

But really it's hard to judge as they probably wanted to show off the shooting/grenade launcher and not the ai at this point.

Actually, if you notice, the AI actually got down, and two of them even snuck around and popped up -right next to his vehicle- at 10:07. They just were, as usual, slow to initially react. The first action every time should not to stand there and take aim, but instead get down, open fire, maybe pop smoke and act according to wether they have AT/Anti-vehicle capable weapons or not. If they had a big machinegun with them, they should´ve stayed in this case.

Plus, I doubt the Fennek´s armour is designed to hold back anything bigger than shrapnel and rifle fire at long range. For example, the M113´s armour was so thin that you could puncture it with 7.62 rounds, before the armour upgrades were introduced.

Heading over to the convention hall shortly for day 2. I don't have anything for streaming and my hotel net connection is questionable at best, but I'd be happy to post some post-show thoughts later. The demo I messed with yesterday was good stuff, the controls/responsiveness and the mouse response in particular made it feel much nicer than A2/OA.

Any good info from yourself is welcome, it would be like almost getting it straight from BIS.

Actually, if you notice, the AI actually got down, and two of them even snuck around and popped up -right next to his vehicle- at 10:07.

They didn't. They just came after the noise from the base as always.

And the problem is that AI kept wasting bullets for minutes while Ivan enjoyed his shooting gallery.

Yes the dude is right. You would absolutely stay and wait until an APC wipes out your whole squad and then it's your turn.

YES, Dslyecxi will be there. I'm sure he'll ask the right questions. :)

InstaGoat when in doubt - search:

The Fennek is protected all-round against 7.62 mm AP rounds (STANAG 4569 Level 3) and additional armour can be added if the mission requires.

Actually, if you notice, the AI actually got down, and two of them even snuck around and popped up -right next to his vehicle- at 10:07. They just were, as usual, slow to initially react.

Do you really think those ai flanked or do you think they were just a seperate group approaching from the direction. From what I've seen the ai still looks a2 but still, we haven't seen much so it's to early to say they have/haven't changed them yet.

Was that wounded guy lying in a puddle of blood? I am interested to see the medical system.

Edited by -Coulum-

My comment on what we've seen sofar is the lack of recoil. :(

Ever learn how to managing recoil the correct way?

Heading over to the convention hall shortly for day 2. I don't have anything for streaming and my hotel net connection is questionable at best, but I'd be happy to post some post-show thoughts later. The demo I messed with yesterday was good stuff, the controls/responsiveness and the mouse response in particular made it feel much nicer than A2/OA.

For those of you fretting about the freeaim being off by default - freeaim is, in my opinion, the wrong way to do things. Once upon a time I believed in it, but these days, I think it's a bogus and misguided attempt at "realism". I haven't used freeaim since I was able to turn it off in ArmA1. Keeping it as an option for those who want it seems reasonable, but I don't think there's any validity to calling it a realistic feature at this point. But hey, that's tangenting somewhat... wink.png

Get rip of it once I got myself a TIR

A little disappointed that the AI didn't use that nearby car for cover -seems the logical thing to do but I don't know how hard it is to program non static objects for AI cover. I guess they'd have to figure out a way for the AI to also determine proper stance for height but lateral lean outs should be doable methinks.

It is fluid but fps was disappointing, even though he used fraps, not good.

In car showcase, there is a massive fps gain when he switches to 3rd person view, RTE it probably still very slow.

there isn't much to write about the vid:

- I. Buchta said that if someone will brake the 30 sec barrier on the firing drill he is a pro, he probably doesn't follow Jay Crowe's tweets :)

- heli flight model most likely derived from arma, not TKOH, but they use TKOH sound

- community alpha will feature some simple content and missions, testing for animations and physics, they will release updates to alpha, add more content

- hard to guess how complete A3 is, stratis is finished, limnos is not, they will be focusing on details soon, large number of vehicles and weapons is wip

@Mouse-scroll: Yeah, I have an idea to how do it but its no the place (whislist?) nor the time (too late..) for this.

@AI: WIP. That's it.

InstaGoat when in doubt - search:

I stand corrected.

For those of you fretting about the freeaim being off by default - freeaim is, in my opinion, the wrong way to do things. Once upon a time I believed in it, but these days, I think it's a bogus and misguided attempt at "realism". I haven't used freeaim since I was able to turn it off in ArmA1. Keeping it as an option for those who want it seems reasonable, but I don't think there's any validity to calling it a realistic feature at this point. But hey, that's tangenting somewhat... ;)

Any particular place you will post anything you might learn? I am interested in what your thoughts are on the game.

Edited by InstaGoat

Watching over the better quality vid again.

The heli seemed to be a dumbed down version of ToH, start up was much much faster and I also spotted that the temperature gauge wasn't functioning. Maybe a side effect of the rapid start up perhaps.

It appeared to change rotor pitch when lifting off though and I have noticed that the rotors still tilt like during a Take On flight.

Noticed the guy doing maintenance on the Fennek as well, will this be a functional feature or just an animation used in armoury or faction preview type missions?

I would't expect they have done the AI even remotely yet, which would explain why we see so little of it. If not even physX is done to the stage they feel confident to showcase the lot of it, I doubt they will show the AI any sooner than at release of alpha, due to their complexity and time consuming tweaking, IMO.

Anyways, I too hope the mouse scroll menu is being placeholder. I presonaly would rather have a single key to enter and dissembark vehicles and / or interact with objects like (house) door opening, climbing a latter etc..change position in vehicle would propably be easier to bind to some of the F keys, like F1 to F10 or whatever.

Little dissapointed to see the magical radar still there, I really hope it will be off by default. I also noticed some kind of progress (rank?) icon...Not game changing in any way for me personaly but anyone else noticed it?

Sounds from the LB M134 were astounding, LOVE it and i expressed my delightfulness with sounds generaly already heheh.

Smoke - IMO, could use little more work. still reminds me a lot A2 smoke.

Ragdoll- looks fun :)

Maybe it was the default heli simulation?

They said TKOH model will be optional.

Little dissapointed to see the magical radar still there, I really hope it will be off by default.

True - radar should be off at Veteran just like crosshair.

What about the radio chatter? i think its an important factor for the atmosphere...im pretty sure the arma 2 sounds are placeholders, but will there improvments to the system and something like dynamic combat voices? enjoyed the presentation, finally one in good quality, even if not the best.

YES YES and YES, I should propably make my little wish in the proper thread but I would absolutely love the backround radio chatter, just like in ACE.

Guys send a "We want Arma 3" request to them (right under the video)

http://e3.gamespot.com/live-cam-tour-2/live-cam-day-2/

Actually after yesterday's presentation, the czech website video, TotalBiscuits and Dslyecxi (both TBR) impressions, we should leave them alone, E3 is big and there are a lot of games to show. We ain´t getting a great video quality nor new information there anyway.

Should give it a rest in my opinion. We've seen what the presentation essentially has to offer and should probably just wait for BIS to upload high quality, more detailed ones to their channel. The Doupe.cz video is better quality than anything we'll see from Gamespot.

For those of you fretting about the freeaim being off by default - freeaim is, in my opinion, the wrong way to do things. Once upon a time I believed in it, but these days, I think it's a bogus and misguided attempt at "realism". I haven't used freeaim since I was able to turn it off in ArmA1. Keeping it as an option for those who want it seems reasonable, but I don't think there's any validity to calling it a realistic feature at this point. But hey, that's tangenting somewhat... ;)

Hi, would you mind asking them about state of AI as well as planned enhancements as thats something the Dev's tend not to answer here. Like what was that hint at interior pathfinding all about. Thanks!

Ever learn how to managing recoil the correct way?

Yes, and it should be done in game with the mouse not done for you ala kiddie fps

I'd like BIS to post a whole E3 demo presentation in at least 720P (grabbed with fraps or the like) instead of low quality cams we have seen. Don't get me wrong, it's better to have something then nothing, but i think people will want to see this in the quality it deserves.

Ivan said they are not cutting anything out. We will see if that's true when it comes to the improvement done to recoil in 1.54

I'd like BIS to post a whole E3 demo presentation in at least 720P (grabbed with fraps or the like) instead of low quality cams we have seen. Don't get me wrong, it's better to have something then nothing, but i think people will want to see this in the quality it deserves.

They will but probably at the end or even after E3

They will in given time. Saw the last oficial video at ARMA3's oficial channel? There is a "Coming soon.." for every showcase of Camp Maxwell.