Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Operation E3

Ivan said they are not cutting anything out. We will see if that's true when it comes to the improvement done to recoil in 1.54

1.54 wasn't really that realistic. It made gameplay better, but no trained soldier will let his barrel climb towards to sky like that. You can hold down even an M14 on full auto, but the barrel will shake all over the place, in three dimensions, not just up and right.

Controlling muzzle climb is much too messy with a mouse, unless you are blessed with one of those trackballs no one bloody sells anymore.

Spam this sucker everywhere, since it's unlisted! This is the footage from the same demo, which had been used yesterday on E3, only this time Ivan didn't run off the cliff in the APC. :D Starting from 9:00 there's quite an interesting engagement; shame none of those infantrymen had any M136. ;)

Love the new SFXs, AH-6 interior ergonomics, driver's-hands-on-wheel, the new inventory/backpack/weapon addon systems.

I wonder if they've done anything with AI yet.

Those guys did just sit around and pour bullets into the APC to no effect, but on the other hand it took Ivan a long time to find them all, even with thermals, and eventually he gave up. Are they better at hiding now? Because it they can find cover and actually STAY in it now, they will present a stiff challenge to players. One well-placed AI with good sight lines can ruin a mission in seconds.

Ivan somewhat cagily kept us from seeing the fireteams at work in the village engagement. One enemy ran away behind a tree, but died facing the wrong direction.

LOVE the pain effects, but you alpha people should be sure to disparage their CoD-inspired blood droplets on screen.

(...)

LOVE the pain effects, but you alpha people should be sure to disparage their CoD-inspired blood droplets on screen.

To be honest, a part of me died the moment i saw that jell'o being sprayed on his face. Did not like that. Not one bit.

Second, what the hell is that flying thing? A UAV?

Edited by Evil_Brownie

You guys complaining about smooth movement, crosshairs, blood effects, ... remind me of care-bears ArmA edition.

(And I guess some of them will even get angrier once they figured out why I used the term care-bear.)

OT:

I LOVE what I'm seeing so far. I think I was never as eager to play an alpha version of a game as now.

Yeah, the marmalade hit-screen needs to go.

Good lord, you guys are beefing about everything. That sucks... Simply take what you get.... I think the blood adds a whole new level of immersion, even it isn't very realistic....

The vehicle seems to light like there is no weight at all when driving

Good lord, you guys are beefing about everything. That sucks... Simply take what you get.... I think the blood adds a whole new level of immersion, even it isn't very realistic....

You don't have to like everything. The jelly hit screen is a product of Call of Duty and every other subsequent triple A shooter the consoles have seen, it does not belong in a milsim.

The vehicle seems to light like there is no weight at all when driving

PhysX isn't finished yet. I don't how many times that has been made clear. It's NOT finished. So STOP complaining about it.

You don't have to like everything. The jelly hit screen is a product of Call of Duty and every other subsequent triple A shooter the consoles have seen, it does not belong in a milsim.

You realise the jello can be fixed in 10 seconds, unlike the new animations system, which, apparently, you guys don't care about.

And the new stances ROCK! Check it out,

I think he actually leaned OVER the wall to fire the weapon; standing upright + on the tips of your toes = awesomesauce courtesy of Smookie. ;)

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

You realise the jello can be fixed in 10 seconds, unlike the new animations system, which, apparently, you guys don't care about.

Yes I do, so we can't comment on it due to the time it takes to fix? Lots of issues with games today that could be fixed in 2 minutes but nothing gets added or removed unless the developer says so.

Yeah, the marmalade hit-screen needs to go.

2nd that

If you start seeing blood like that, it's too late and you should be finished.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

And the new stances ROCK! Check it out,

Completely agree, I'm a big fan.

2nd that

If you start seeing blood like that, it's too late and you should be finished.

Hehe I don't mind it so much but your probably right here -should be used only for lethal or near lethal head shots.

The blood on the screen is a great way to give you an indication that you have been hit.... there's no better and easier way to implement that. Or should I punch everbody in the stomach for the "real feel"?

The blood on the screen is a great way to give you an indication that you have been hit.... there's no better and easier way to implement that. Or should I punch everbody in the stomach for the "real feel"?

You sound like a typical Call of Duty player, no offence. This is a milsim game, not a happy arcade shooter. I don't need big indicators of my health, I don't need a big red flashing screen when I get hit. Oddly enough the game has worked fine in the past, yet now we need to go down the mainstream path? Normally the fact that you are dead, severely injured and drop to the ground or the sound of a bullet penetrating your stomach is usually enough of an indicator. Maybe they could add the Unreal Tournament sounds when we get a lot of kills as well? "Ultra kiiiiill"

The jelly screen is a casual indicator derived from awful console games, shouldn't be in ArmA - We have done without it.

Edited by Sethos

They could do a blurry screen thing. I guess, it's still not totally realistic (realistic would be to have no overlay effect), but it's be more realistic than blood.

I'm not sure if I liked parts of the new inventory. I like being able to see all mags individually and not just an icon with X amount of mags or X amount of grenades. Also the gear customization looked cool but I hope you can attach the IR and Flashlight at the same time and Ivan was just switching between them for the sake of the demo. It kind of looks like there's different "tabs" for the load bearing vest and backpacks which is great. I guess it's early days though, can't wait to see more. MOAR!

Hahah even Lord Ivan messed up with the goddamn scroll wheel interaction menu. Kill it! Kill it with fire!

The AI looked very ArmA2, still shitty reactions at <50 meters. Those animations though! Dayum! Looking really nice especially that new lean!

Most disappointing thing was no chambered round after tac reload and no bolt locking/charging animations after a dry reload. :(

Still overall, and taking into consideration it's still very much WIP and the PhysX 3 overhaul being a massive setback it's miles ahead of what it was last year. Very exciting stuff!

Well look at it this way: The blood screen doesn't mean your eyes are bleeding or 90% of your face is covered in blood. Yet it indicates _pain_ which you can not show.

So it's just a little help to get the message across.

edit: Sorry, looks like I didn't refresh the page for too long. Now my answer is way too late...

Well look at it this way: The blood screen doesn't mean your eyes are bleeding or 90% of your face is covered in blood. Yet it indicates _pain_ which you can not show.

So it's just a little help to get the message across.

@zimms I absolutely agree! Thanks!

They could

1.Push the character out of balance when he gets hit -light hit (recouchet on his vest)- and add a burst of blurry vision when he takes a more bit serious hit. (still no wounds)

2.Light injury: depending on where, strongly handicap movement

3.Hit that wounds you badly: incapacitated for a long time, enough to stay out for the rest of the fight, like in real life

4.Lethal hit: dead

edit: or if you get a light injury in a serious firefight, only start feeling it after your adrenaline lowers