Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Operation E3

Hey does anyone know what the iranian in this vid is doing?

It doesn't look like the default prone crawling does it? It looks more like he is injured and crawling away. I could be imagining things though.

Hey does anyone know what the iranian in this vid is doing?

It doesn't look like the default prone crawling does it? It looks more like he is injured and crawling away. I could be imagining things though.

He seems crawling in his knees for me

He seems crawling in his knees for me

Strafe prone, which raises your torso like an arch, then he goes to crouch stance - a default animation from prone presumably.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Both actors have moved around a lot with heavy loadouts in different conditions. I guess I will remind you for the last time (since more explanation could be considered as spam:P) that you simply cannot perform with any equipment due to obstruction/damage risk to the markers. With current technology at least. Its all down to acting skills.

Sorry if I came across as condescending there I was trying to make a bit of a joke I understand the mocap imposes restrictions, inevitably the technology will improve and then you guys can have the actors do everything for real.

I looked into this feature but unfortunately it turned out the difference is very neglible so the new prone stance is somewhere in between those two, plus you can quickly adjust your stance very easily (lower your weapon position >> on-side, from under obstacle shooting << or raise it higher >> on-back above grass level shooting <<) - that should be more than enough.

Well in most cases even raising your eye-level a few cm can make a huge difference in your ability to see and remaining in the classic prone position allows you to remain relatively concealed and drop up and down quickly. Moving into the on-back prone position while staying low in a quick or dignified manner would probably be impossible in all your gear and the position itself has all the drawbacks of prone (hard to move out of, not ready to move) while sacrificing the benefits (concealment). So if at all possible adding the ability to bob-up in the prone like the crouch would be a massive step forward and really make much the prone stance much more viable and realistic.

That being said the animation transitions and the general control response looks massively improved and the ragdoll effects particularly from small arms is very nice (40mm grenades throwing people tens of meters probably needs to be looked at :D). Anyway I'm looking forward to the Alpha, thanks for the response and keep up the good work!

Edited by Falcon_565

Well in most cases even raising your eye-level a few cm can make a huge difference in your ability to see and remaining in the classic prone position allows you to remain relatively concealed and drop up and down quickly. Moving into the on-back prone position while staying low in a quick or dignified manner would probably be impossible in all your gear and the position itself has all the drawbacks of prone (hard to move out of, not ready to move) while sacrificing the benefits (concealment). So if at all possible adding the ability to bob-up in the prone like the crouch would be a massive step forward and really make much the prone stance much more viable and realistic.

I agree with you!

I agree with you!

Might as well add 'bob-up' in standing stance: lean over something, i.e. a wall, bush, vehicle roof, on your toes in order to fire briefly. :)

@Smookie,

Can we see new crawling anim with rifle in both hands? In ArmA2, we can only do it in one hand even if with a heavy muchinegun, so weird. Hope it could be improved in ArmA3.

Edited by Lao Fei Mao

On that note, I'd like to see low and high crawling. Low crawling for the slow prone crawl, high crawling for the regular prone crawl. Anyone don't know what I'm talking about? Look it up.

Might as well add 'bob-up' in standing stance: lean over something, i.e. a wall, bush, vehicle roof, on your toes in order to fire briefly. :)
On that note, I'd like to see low and high crawling. Low crawling for the slow prone crawl, high crawling for the regular prone crawl. Anyone don't know what I'm talking about? Look it up.
@Smookie,

Can we see new crawling anim with rifle in both hands? In ArmA2, we can only do it in one hand even if with a heavy muchinegun, so weird. Hope it could be improved in ArmA3.

I would like to see all three of these suggestions implemented as well. Also are we going to see new animations for belt fed weapons (hopefully ones that take longer than reloading a rifle?) :D

@Smookie,

Look up E3 videos :)

Might as well add 'bob-up' in standing stance: lean over something, i.e. a wall, bush, vehicle roof, on your toes in order to fire briefly.

running out of keys:)

Look up E3 videos :)

running out of keys:)

Suggestion: When in any kneeling stance, when hitting rmb (aim), the character could pop up to the next highest kneeling stance. Once going out of ironsights, pop back down. That´d be my suggestion. Try to cleverly implement stance switches without assigning keys to them: Maybe, if players object, add an option to turn it off in the controls menu (aiming popup on/off).

Suggestion: When in any kneeling stance, when hitting rmb (aim), the character could pop up to the next highest kneeling stance. Once going out of ironsights, pop back down. That´d be my suggestion. Try to cleverly implement stance switches without assigning keys to them: Maybe, if players object, add an option to turn it off in the controls menu (aiming popup on/off).

That's the right track to be thinking on but often these kind of things limit alot of control and can be quite frustrating. Ie. using your example with rmb triggering raise in stance, what if you are behind a low wall in the lowest crouch with enemy on the other side of that wall. Then another enemy comes around the flank. You press rmb to aim and shoot him but that also raises your stanc, exposing you to all the enemy on the other side of the wall.

Just saying, it is great to have actions that automatically trigger other actions, but it is tricky to do so without taking away control.

No. That would be horrible and unintuitive. And most of all disorienting - see RO2 where there is no way to aim and keep your head down. So either you aim and expose yourself or you don't see anything and your weapon isn't ready to shoot.

ArmA3 uses CTRL for stance switching just like Raven Shield where it wasn't a problem.

Smookie! I have asked this, and I ask thee again: what key do you use a modifier for those duck & cover mechanics, is it the left CTRL + WSAD? :)

Appreciated

Smookie! I have asked this, and I ask thee again: what key do you use a modifier for those duck & cover mechanics, is it the left CTRL + WSAD? :)

Appreciated

I wonder that too. I'd like for it to be ALT+WASD really, kinda like how Medal of Honor Airborne did it.

BIS games have keyboard settings you know

The new stance animations operate as modifiers. Like Arma 2, you still hit Q or E to lean, X to crouch, and Z to go prone. But you can take an additional step left or right by hold Ctrl and hitting Q or E again. These adjustments are specific to each stance, so if you’re crouched and hit Ctrl + W, you’ll poke your head and upper body up a bit. If you’re prone, you can twist to the right by hitting Ctrl + E.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/arma-3-e3-hands-on-preview-8-questions-answered/

BIS games have keyboard settings you know
The new stance animations operate as modifiers. Like Arma 2, you still hit Q or E to lean, X to crouch, and Z to go prone. But you can take an additional step left or right by hold Ctrl and hitting Q or E again. These adjustments are specific to each stance, so if you’re crouched and hit Ctrl + W, you’ll poke your head and upper body up a bit. If you’re prone, you can twist to the right by hitting Ctrl + E.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/arma-3-e3-hands-on-preview-8-questions-answered/

Perfect! Thanks, one single modifier key expands the freedom of action by 100%* - easy to learn, hard to master.

*125% if you include firing, while lying on your back.

in41RSxgPyPoy.png

I just hope you won't have to hold CTRL like you do with Q or E to lean (unless you double-press them of course). You get the idea. The modifier should remain permanent unless you start moving.

I just hope you won't have to hold CTRL like you do with Q or E to lean (unless you double-press them of course). You get the idea. The modifier should remain permanent unless you start moving.

It will most likely be a simple Toggle / Hold selection in main control options. For fast CQB PVP I'd go for hold, in longer firefights you may want to use the toggle.

Ya, mang. Ya regaining faith in BIS, yet, mr.g-c? ;)

P.S. I have never tried SMK in ArmA II. :/

Ya well... that shit is like a drug you know what i'm saying dawg?

Total addicted... No other choice than this... See how critic i often be at ArmA Series... Now imagine what i start to throw at people when i'm live seeing them playing COD whaterver, or BattleField xyz. and this in the age of almost 30 or older...

Can only bear such crappy high-speed corner-shooters when having at least 4 beer and a package of cigarettes, otherwise i get a too high pulse... hahahah.

Haven't tried smookies addon either, but alone from the video i got wet pants... Now this Stuff implemented in ArmA3 and i can't say how much this enhances infantry combat, especially in CQC. Impressive! Highly!

Just wanted to say awesome work at E3, ARMA looks swell :P