Sign in to follow this  
lNTRUDER

P&C BETA first impressions

There should be a waypoint on neutral islands guiding to where the command center is supposed to be. Go near the wreckage and when this "crane hook" icon appears press USE (F) key.

Construction "shield" will appear in shape of Command Center.

It takes a while to build so no point in waiting ...just dock back to carrier and sail to another island

I don't see any waypoint in the hud. Do you refer to a triangle in the map? I went there with a walrus with a resource-module, there was a wreck building as you say, but I never had the icon to use it, no matter how close I was.

edit: and solved. But of course, I had to scout the island first. :P

Edited by Turin Turambar

Unit pathing seems to need some work. Not so bad on the field but when docking it can get quite bad. I've had two Walrus units hump the wrong side of the carrier.

Actual feedback I can give is unit locations need to be more obvious. At a glance when controlling a unit I should be able to tell where all the other units are.

Very first impressions.

The mouse movement is the menus is horrible. A combination of mouse acc. and laggy mouse.

Ok, this is mostly solved. I think it's not enough to change some graphical options, you need to restart the game, once i exited the game and ran it again, my mouse was fixed.

Only played a few minutes. Is there a way to use a joystick for flying? Doesn't seem to recognize my MSFF2.

Ok, this is mostly solved. I think it's not enough to change some graphical options, you need to restart the game, once i exited the game and ran it again, my mouse was fixed.

Works for me to, now it's nice and smooth.

I really hate the fact, the game stops running when you alt+ab out of it. Since there is no acceleration feature you have to wait ages before something is produced again. You cannot surf the web in the mean time, since the game pauses when you alt+tab. I even tried windowed mode. Windowed mode has the same bug :(

Can any of you post a video with some gameplay :) Be sure to capture some music as well, it's made by a BAFTA winner after all :D

Now I have found the manual (whoever put it in a folder called 'manual' should be shot - who on earth would ever look there!!!) I am liking this very much. It seems to be quite hard - I am getting used to the nice lady telling me 'Walrus Destroyed'!!

Anyway I haven't played anything quite like this before which is a good thing. I hope the marketing people get on with promoting it as I think people will find this a refreshing change to your normal FPS or RTS.

Loving it. Crash bug is annoying me, when you take on enemy carrier I get a crash. Have reported in bug reports.

quick question. is there any way I can gift a copy of the game from bi store?

wanted to get my friend in on this as well just so he can see the environments.

Strangest mouse behaviour ever...

It seems the more I crank up the in game details, the more the mouse cursor is accelerated too...

Even though the game still feels pretty fluid...

Can someone tell me how on earth to play this game?

- I start the game, prepare to engage an island.

- unload troops, commence attack.......

- loose my vehicles one by one by an overwhelming force + static weapons.

- get a message one of my islands is under attack

- pack my stuff to help the island but before I arrive the island is lost.

This happened now 3 times in a row and it happens under 15 minutes of playing (every time I tried that is).

Am I missing something? Are there other ways to defend an island than me trying to get my carrier there?

How can the AI take in island in minutes while I am figthing wave after wave of enemy forces without even getting into a single base?

Boy............must I suck at this or what? :D

Foxhound ... click on the island that gets attacked and change it to a defensive, this will give you more time to get there and help defend it

It's fairly trivial to take over an enemy island. Say an island has a shielded command centre. Use a unit as a scout until you find a generator and then hit and run the blasted thing with Mantas. Turn on the auto aim in options if you have trouble (I find it bloody hard to aim anything in a Manta frankly). Repair and repeat as necessary. The longer approach is to slowly crawl across the island with Walrus units. Less risk of blowing up with a repair unit following you around but much much slower. Clear the command centre and hack away.

I am not able to drop the Command center.

I drove to the Green Triangle nearby. pressing F does not make any action.

How do I use the Drop Command Center?

How I do mak Screenshots? :butbut:

everyything seemed excelent. other than one of the vehicles being unable to find its way to dock, some dodgey distant textures and HORRIBLE mouse acceleration, it was all magnificent, and ran (for me) wonderfully

Great potential, Crazy mouse acceleration, every game I have played ends up crashing around an hour. Guns on the carrier don't seem to ever fire on their own. (enemy carrier sits there and pegs me) I wouldn't mind a slightly better interface when trying to tell units to dock individually instead of having the dock, dock all.

I am assuming there will be better animations overall as they are currently bland, (as expected in a beta) Better AI.

I'm glad we got a working beta version to play, i'm a prem contributor as I believe in this game, just needs some more love.

I don't know why my carrier doesn't shoot at things automatically, and when two carriers meet up, the lack of being able to escape is not cool. Also the barge supply vessel doesn't ever seem to land or show up at the carrier visually either.

Edited by saviorofevil
left out info

The Manstas need some work on their controllability, They seem to hit their limits in pitch and yaw really fast making them fell a bit stiff when controlling them, especially with a controller. They don't seem like the should need this much time to make a 360 standing still quite frankly. Also when using a Xbox controller you have no elevate button (i suggest using the right stick button for this) and that means its really hard making gunruns.

And i think something is up with the canons on the carrier, I started shooting around and everything was fine but then i drove the carrier around for a bit and the canon fired in the same place no matter where you aimed them. (I am uploading a video on this. where i reproduce it)

One of the biggest gripes i have so far is the turbo/afterburner/boost. You can only use it when its full and i guess that is sort of fine fine, but only if you can stop using it as you please, Since I'm using a 360 controller i see why it is the way it is (left stick button is boost). But pressing the boost button again should stop using it and allow it to recharge faster.

Nice graphics, complicated enough gameplay to promise far more than the standard casual gaming experience, and above all it's Carrier Command. I am so happy I'm almost crying. Please, Bohemia, take all the time you need to finish this just the way you intended. Way to go! :D

I see your problem .....

using a Xbox controller

Learn to man up and play mouse/keyboard :)

Wow - just wow! I think I'll spend all night playing this! IF I can sort the mouse out - it is horribly slow.

Walrus and Manta movement is a royal pain in the posterior. Carrier guns don't seem to be able to shoot straight - they go off in some fixed direction even after rotating them. I can't plant a ACCB - urm, whatever the new name for them is - on the triangle. F does nothing.

I can't work out the radial menu - mouse pointer vanishes. The map scrolls randomly. I can only assign one vehicle waypoint at a time. I can't work out how to program a vehicle to go to an area and start doing stuff.

But fix all that crap and just... WOW. This has the potential to be something truly amazing!!!

It has the Carier Command feel, and I love that. Too many positives, initial negatives:

Mouse movement again. Really nasty - especially combined with the too-small nav buttons in the game.

Controls and buttons need to be much bigger.

A 'reset to default' option in controls please.

Needs many hot keys - 'next gun' on the carrier a big one.

Hot keys or buttons to jump to a SPECIFIC gun on the carrier - not just 'next'.

Show waypoint back to carrier when manually controlling vehicles needed.

A disable time warp option please - the original game gave a fantastic feel of scope, of 'being there', and giving you contemplative time as you travelled across the seas.

Needs many hot keys - 'next gun' on the carrier a big one.

Mouse scroll wheel.

everytime i meet the red carrier, i die.seems i am about four time as squishy as he is. the forces on the defensive island at my back dont do jack shit. at the moment of death the game crashes. its a beta allright.

Mighty promising game though. looks nice and crisp and things move with a proper feel of weight. some might feel they're underpowered. to me they feel realistic.

I really like what they did with the UI. I will be buying the xbox port of it, as well as this PC pre-order.

Some things i havent managed to figure out: i built a new manta, because i ran one out of fuel. how do i move it into the deceased ones' slot? If a unit runs out of fuel, is it possible to rescue it with another unit? perhaps a manta with a sling? how does that sling work anyway?