Sign in to follow this  
twisted

The details

Have read the arma 3 feature list and it looks awesome, seriously so.

I hope small touches that can make a big difference are also made. For example, bullet entrance and exit holes on the vehicles and destructible buildings. Debris too.

The way hands shift when holding weapon

Glass that breaks. So it feels like your having more of an impact in the game world.

Not always holding weapon up - especially machine guns

Irregular vegetation at base of trees.

Fences and walls that are not too straight and obvipusly repeated - donte look so copy/pasted

Its crafting kittle toiches that I hppe can make tge game feel a bit more immersive

Although I have a feeling you are going to be told to move your ideas to the Wishlist I agree with you. Little details like this real improve the immersion. To add, I also think that wounds should actually appear where they are hit.

regarding holding weapons up, there is a lower weapon function (tap left ctrl twice for the default bind). It doesn't work with pistols and launchers though.

Yes but the lower weapon thing is very slow, the character does not snap it to their shoulder, I hate using that thing.

Bullet entrance holes will be totally new in gaming, I think it'll be for the next generation.

Bullet entrance holes will be totally new in gaming, I think it'll be for the next generation.

True, however I think the effect of an actual bullet deforming game models would be barely noticable in 99% of cases. What I am for is an improvement of basic decals and visual representation of hits, that is my only issue with otherwise incredible Arma graphics. It is linked to both building destruction (shoot one window, all windows break), vehicle destruciton (shoot into a door of a car, at some point a texture of a clean car changes to a bullet ridden one) and soldiers (shoot a soldier in a foot, both legs get bloody).

All

If you can utilize this thread without having it become a list of suggestions + comments on those suggestions, I won't lock the thread and refer you to the stickies. I'm not exactly sure how that can be done, but I'm willing to give it a go of you are. The current conversation is more or less duplicating the Wishlist & Suggestion structured threads, which are structured for a reason. So, anyways, I'm willing to let this thread be for a short while if you guys are game to try and think of a way to discuss 'the details' without making another suggestion thread.

We can do that. Thanks Max.

Thank you Max

Glass that breaks. So it feels like your having more of an impact in the game world.

This is something I would like to see improved.

As it is now all the windows on one building can get damaged if you shoot the building with a rifle. If you shoot at some windows they can still look totally ok. A better glass simulation would be a good thing.

Improvement of bullet holes on surfaces would be pretty nice. It would help someone pinpoint which direction the shooter is shooting from.

What? Are you talking about those holes that are present in R6 (dunno abou the first one, sure about Rogue Spear), GR, RO2 and so on?

What? Are you talking about those holes that are present in R6 (dunno abou the first one, sure about Rogue Spear), GR, RO2 and so on?

I'm talking about dynamic holes in buildings, vehicles and everything else. If the hole is traspassed, you'll be able to see the other side, and if you shot inside a hole it will be stronger than if you shot directly in a wall, etc.

I'm talking about dynamic holes in buildings, vehicles and everything else. If the hole is traspassed, you'll be able to see the other side, and if you shot inside a hole it will be stronger than if you shot directly in a wall, etc.

That could be possible, in theory, by using some alpha textures, but then again, you would need to be able to assign those textures on the fly using world XYZ coordinates (but then again, the 3d meshes are not really mean to be able to look through/in them all the time....i really don't see this happening...

That could be possible, in theory, by using some alpha textures, but then again, you would need to be able to assign those textures on the fly using world XYZ coordinates (but then again, the 3d meshes are not really mean to be able to look through/in them all the time....i really don't see this happening...

Alpha on the objects with more thickness (wall for example) would look rather weird most of the time. At least in a case of bullet hole.

In most instances I don't think you can really see in to a bullet hole, so I think just having a shadow occluded pit would be enough. They did pretty neat bullet holes on characters in that old Aliens Vs. Predator game.

With ARMA 3 using Physx fully distructable are a possability. I would love to see some work done to to small arm and ballistics environment damage modeling.

With ARMA 3 using Physx fully distructable are a possability. I would love to see some work done to to small arm and ballistics environment damage modeling.

what part of this is NOT a wishlist thread you didn't get?:

All

If you can utilize this thread without having it become a list of suggestions + comments on those suggestions, I won't lock the thread and refer you to the stickies. I'm not exactly sure how that can be done, but I'm willing to give it a go of you are. The current conversation is more or less duplicating the Wishlist & Suggestion structured threads, which are structured for a reason. So, anyways, I'm willing to let this thread be for a short while if you guys are game to try and think of a way to discuss 'the details' without making another suggestion thread.

I think bullet holes in buildings would be kind of novel. I can't see it adding too much if your engaging from 400 500 meters out. As long as bullets still kick up dust and debris I'm pretty happy. That said if they did add it in you wouldn't hear me complaining. But the Humvee becoming suddenly bullet riddled after reaching a certain level of damage always looked pretty weird same goes for the instant change between normal texture to burnt-out texture (sometimes before a fire or explosion even begins:p). I'm more interested in the details for vehicle destruction. I think it could add a lot to have a door fly off after sliding into a tree, or a tyre bursting after a hard impact with a rock instead of just deflating. I guess when you think about it it's still more novel than it is useful but IMHO it would add more immersion than bullet holes. I think this kind of destruction this is in VBS already judging by a video that was on here a while back.

Speaking of vehicles, does anyone feel like some of the vehicle interiors feel a little bit sterile? I mean they're isn't a scrap of evidence inside a Humvee that would point towards the fact that the guys driving it have probably been living in it for the last 48 hours. Not even a water bottle on the dashboard? These guys must be like camels!:p Just simple stuff like an open ruck on the backseat with some magazines/MREs in it when it's not occupied by a soldier or a playboy center page taped to the roof or inside of a door to make interiors feel a little bit more lived in. Even more if it's a WW3 scenario, these guys have probably been in their vehicles either driving or waiting around for orders for days on end. The soldiers uniforms have already gone down this path with OA with dirt on the knees and elbows to make it look as though they've been out on patrol for a while. I think theirs a saying that goes something like "An inspection ready soldier isn't ready for battle and a battle ready soldier isn't ready for inspection." And I can't help but think some of the vehicles in ArmA 2 were straight off the production line. I'm sure I can think of plenty more details I think my next rant will be about facial expressions or lack there of. Thanks for keeping this thread opened Max!:D

Holes from .50 and above would be nice. I'd love to do some holes in this shield:

scaled.php?server=464&filename=lfu4thsept060ic0.jpg&res=medium

I think bullet holes in buildings would be kind of novel. I can't see it adding too much if your engaging from 400 500 meters out. As long as bullets still kick up dust and debris I'm pretty happy. That said if they did add it in you wouldn't hear me complaining. But the Humvee becoming suddenly bullet riddled after reaching a certain level of damage always looked pretty weird same goes for the instant change between normal texture to burnt-out texture (sometimes before a fire or explosion even begins:p). I'm more interested in the details for vehicle destruction. I think it could add a lot to have a door fly off after sliding into a tree, or a tyre bursting after a hard impact with a rock instead of just deflating. I guess when you think about it it's still more novel than it is useful but IMHO it would add more immersion than bullet holes. I think this kind of destruction this is in VBS already judging by a video that was on here a while back.

Speaking of vehicles, does anyone feel like some of the vehicle interiors feel a little bit sterile? I mean they're isn't a scrap of evidence inside a Humvee that would point towards the fact that the guys driving it have probably been living in it for the last 48 hours. Not even a water bottle on the dashboard? These guys must be like camels!:p Just simple stuff like an open ruck on the backseat with some magazines/MREs in it when it's not occupied by a soldier or a playboy center page taped to the roof or inside of a door to make interiors feel a little bit more lived in. Even more if it's a WW3 scenario, these guys have probably been in their vehicles either driving or waiting around for orders for days on end. The soldiers uniforms have already gone down this path with OA with dirt on the knees and elbows to make it look as though they've been out on patrol for a while. I think theirs a saying that goes something like "An inspection ready soldier isn't ready for battle and a battle ready soldier isn't ready for inspection." And I can't help but think some of the vehicles in ArmA 2 were straight off the production line. I'm sure I can think of plenty more details I think my next rant will be about facial expressions or lack there of. Thanks for keeping this thread opened Max!:D

I agree with this post. Those little details add very much to the immersion.

I think my next rant will be about facial expressions or lack there of.

Something I really miss from OFP is the AI facial expressions. Sure, they could go from an angry face to a silly grin in the middle of a fight, but it just gave them a little bit of character. Now they're just expressionless, dead-eyed drones. An obvious benefit of having facial expressions is using setMimic in cutscenes. It's hard to make players care about characters in a video game, but even harder if they can't show any emotion. In that GamesCom video where you see Miller go to see Nikos, the narrator says the NPCs are 'quite expressive', but in the video all that seems to mean is his mouth moves and his eyebrows go up and down rigidly. Hopefully AI expressions will be restored to at least a Flashpoint standard.

In that GamesCom video where you see Miller go to see Nikos, the narrator says the NPCs are 'quite expressive'

Yeah I actually forgot about this little mention about facial animations at GC, which sort of makes my rant invalid because not having played the original OFP I would just love to see any sort of emotion in a firefight from the characters. Even if like you said they grinned half way through a firefight I don't see it being that unrealistic and it's still better than nothing. I've seen soldiers laughing and smiling while taking fire taped on helmet cams. Mind they're usually at relatively safe distances with good cover and I'm not sure how common it is when they know they're not being filmed. Anything would be better than the 'dead-eyed drones' as you put it which pretty much sums up ArmA2 faces perfectly. Ok so a little bit of a rant but at least we know BIS is working on facial expressions which is a detail I'm really happy about.:)

Something I really miss from OFP is the AI facial expressions. Sure, they could go from an angry face to a silly grin in the middle of a fight, but it just gave them a little bit of character. Now they're just expressionless, dead-eyed drones. An obvious benefit of having facial expressions is using setMimic in cutscenes. It's hard to make players care about characters in a video game, but even harder if they can't show any emotion. In that GamesCom video where you see Miller go to see Nikos, the narrator says the NPCs are 'quite expressive', but in the video all that seems to mean is his mouth moves and his eyebrows go up and down rigidly. Hopefully AI expressions will be restored to at least a Flashpoint standard.

Some mimic functionality was just restored in an OA patch (or beta), btw :)

a small detail i keep notivng in arma2 that i hope arma3 changes is more variation in vegetation. and that includes size and simply rotating the grass/flowers around so they dont all look the same. i feel stupid writing it, but that's one of the things i notice a lot after playing for a while. the sameness of things.

Some mimic functionality was just restored in an OA patch (or beta), btw :)

And wasn´t working AFAIK.

Yep, facial expressions would be really nice.