Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Arma 3 Community Alpha - Announcement!

Well, other than really good PR, probably they have made some changes to the way mods are handled, and want to get user feedback on that.

Yeah, this and this:

We are exploring the possibilities regarding smoother mod integration. The DayZ popularity has certainly played its role in prioritizing this issue.

http://www.thereticule.com/arma-3-wont-use-steam-workshop-will-have-better-mod-integration/

Makes sense. And give a chance to keep modders revving up for day 1 releases. (replacement packs for the whiners; trolololo)

*Looks at posted url, noticed it's the same one posted in the steamworks thread..forgot to take that into account, major facepalm for self*

I knew it was going to happen when I saw it was you that posted. :D

23 February 2012 ,Daniel Musil about modding :

"Following E3, we plan to open up the game to our players. This process starts with the release of a playable build of Arma 3. We call it the 'Community Alpha'. It's intended to enable people who'd like to try the game early on in development help us to shape it up - and make Arma 3 the greatest release of the series. Ours is a large and complex game - being developed by a relatively small team - so we really appreciate your opinions, thoughts and feedback.

The Community Alpha will be quite limited in terms of the assets it includes, with the goal of providing enough content to experiment with the brand new bits of gameplay and technology. It also enables our passionate community to prepare their mods for the very latest version of the Real Virtuality engine. Then, later on in the year, we'd like to open up our game up even further with a more extensive beta program. The exact details, however, we intend to set out closer to their launch."

How are they going to set up access to community alpha (and beta)? Is it free access or must you purchase some kind of voucher?

Nobody knows yet for sure, but will be a closed and an open phase. Check first post for updates.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/14/interview-bohemia-talk-arma-3-modding-day-z/

A bit about the alpha in here. This bit is the best though

Ivan: We are now busy working on the public community alpha which is due for release in this autumn. It will be similar to our E3 hands-on demo, but it will contain the 2D mission editor and allow modifications. I am confident we will be able to showcase many major improvements and new features in this early build and give the community an excellent toy to ease their waiting for the final game.

Wait so there's an alpha and a beta going to be available?

What does the word "community" mean? Forum users?

Also when is gamecom

What does the word "community" mean? Forum users?

Think more along the lines of community service.

Nobody knows yet for sure, but will be a closed and an open phase.

Does closed phase mean that only a select group of people will be allowed to participate?

I have a question... If we happen to get in the alpha, and we're addon makers who already have models ready-to-go, will we be able to use ARMA 2's O2 editor to get the addons into the alpha?

"Open Alpha" usually means WIP version to test stability and features - no need to get overexcited/hyped or utterly disappointed. Progress of developing software Alpha -> Beta -> RC -> Final.

Think more along the lines of community service.

So punishment for people convicted of crimes? We have a lot of those sorts on here I can tell you ;)

Community ... punishment ... crimes ... well what are you speaking of ?

@ EgegaardDK : let's remember what Maruk, the boss, himself has said a little while ago

We hope to be able to come up with smart combination of free and closed P&C Alpha of Arma 3.

From my point of view, that mean that BIS is thinking about 2 ways to have access to Alpha

- the free one being a kind of demo, the thing with showcase we have seen during E3, so everybody can get a hand on it.

- the other one, a Play & Contribute version of the thing, more or less based on Carrier Command P&C model.

+1 to "Old Bear" ^,

Either way, no doubt about it, it will be a huge success. And will relieve a'lot of the "tension" in the community.

Cant wait! :)

From my point of view, that mean that BIS is thinking about 2 ways to have access to Alpha

- the free one being a kind of demo, the thing with showcase we have seen during E3, so everybody can get a hand on it.

- the other one, a Play & Contribute version of the thing, more or less based on Carrier Command P&C model.

That doesn't sound right. Why would it be called closed if it is available to everyone?

@Timnos : Well ..., in my opinion if you have to pay for something it's not to be called "open", so if only those having subscribed the P&C Arma3 Enthusiast version are having access to another version, it will called a "closed" version, whatever their number will be.

@Timnos : Well ..., in my opinion if you have to pay for something it's not to be called "open", so if only those having subscribed the P&C Arma3 Enthusiast version are having access to another version, it will called a "closed" version, whatever their number will be.

Let's hope that your right mate, I'd be devestated to miss out on all the fun, oops, I mean testing.:)

Sounds good, thanks for the update on what Maruk said.. ;)

Im sure it would be the right descesion to make it P&C, because it will bring alot of alpha testers to the game.. And im sure that BI want to release only the best of the best for the final version ;)

Who would pay to be an Alpha tester?

and then get the final release in the end, off course :)

I would :yay:

Edited by EgegaardDK

At the moment, the thing that is devastating me is that I had planned to spend 3 months buried deep out off world playing Arma3 Community Alpha all Summer long ...

I'm pretty sure they said the alpha will include a 2d mission editor so that should give it alot of hours! ha