Sign in to follow this  
goldblaze

Controls improvment

Hi, I'm kinda wondering a little if aram3 will have any kind of control improvements, the arma2 controls aren't terrible, but would be nice if the controls were a bit better, allowing for friends to get into the game a little.

What do you mean... improvement? How?

What is wrong with the controls currently?

That's like saying I don't like what I don't like. What don't you like and why? Then how do we improve it?

Are you insinuating less controls? If so then the answer is no there will be no improvement, if anything there will be more.

Grenade selection will have a separate button at least they better :mad:

What do you mean by "would be nice if the controls were a bit better"? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Organize the control menu better? Or fewer controls? What?

I think that using ALT for turning player's head is genius. I miss it in all first person games, especially in FPS.

you can improve your controlls at your own :-)

you have to think away from the default keyboard setting and set the keys like you need, default is maybe enoth for a arcade shooter but not for Arma.

i use a RDFG instead of WASD cause you have waymore commands reachable without breaking your hands. :-)

and to the normal improve. i have a hand full of options:

1. make leadder climbing automatic

2. if running against a fence then let the soldier automatic over this fence

3. if bipots implementet make this automatic.(e.g. prone)

4. keep mousewheel commands clean as possible

-- use instead a TOH "button" like setting

5. gray unuseable commands from an close item out before removing it

-- sometimes a action flashes in for only a second cause that you can select it before

JUST MY 50 CENTS

and to the normal improve. i have a hand full of options:

1. make leadder climbing automatic

2. if running against a fence then let the soldier automatic over this fence

4. keep mousewheel commands clean as possible

-- use instead a TOH "button" like setting

5. gray unuseable commands from an close item out before removing it

-- sometimes a action flashes in for only a second cause that you can select it before

JUST MY 50 CENTS

1. what if you DON'T want to climb the ladder, you just want to get close to it?

2. what if you DON'T want to vault it, but take cover behind it

3. what if you DON'T want to deploy the bipod when in prone position, because it limits your mobility?

Nothing automatic for god sake

We just need more functions to do it manually - for example that Bipod etc

Ladders wouldn't be so bad, tradition is the only way you would automaticly climb the ladders is when approaching from the front rather than the sides or behind..IE the only side you'd want to climb the ladder unless intentionally running into it for...whatever reason.

I think that using ALT for turning player's head is genius. I miss it in all first person games, especially in FPS.

Funny thing is that when I've played L4D2 after having a session of ArmA I tried to press ALT and turn my head to look back several times.

Every shooter has to have a look around button.

Absolutely agree with RH. If anything we need more player control, more buttons.

Firing mode button separate from grenade selection button is a must.

I'd gladly use shift+space for resting weapon/deploying bipod too like in ACE. BIS seriously, copy that thing from ACE.

Throw or roll grenade mode would be nice too.

Edited by metalcraze

1 you will never look a leadder up and against it if you dont to want use it

2 same here you prone you reach the fence

3 bipoding is a 2 staged thing...

--you can turn the weapon free...

--you can make the bipod as turnpoint

i never mean here a BF like bipod (put in&out everytime)

if you want to stabelize it on an object you need a key

but not if you use the weapon on the flat ground

at some points its really needed for more keys but not on all

And with SLK animations mod there is a lot of advanced soldier controls and actions in ArmA 2. This mod for ArmA 3 will improve player's control greatly :)

SLK animations are completely unrealistic though. I still want ArmA to be authentic, not just have "all the things" for the sake of having more stuff.

Seeing a soldier shooting while lying on his side or crouching like he is trying to take a dump makes me laugh.

Funny thing is that when I've played L4D2 after having a session of ArmA I tried to press ALT and turn my head to look back several times.

Every shooter has to have a look around button.

Absolutely agree with RH. If anything we need more player control, more buttons.

Firing mode button separate from grenade selection button is a must.

I'd gladly use shift+space for resting weapon/deploying bipod too like in ACE. BIS seriously, copy that thing from ACE.

Throw or roll grenade mode would be nice too.

Happens to me all the time if I play some other game. The Freelook button is BIS greatest Idea ever!

are you insinuating less controls? If so then the answer is no there will be no improvement, if anything there will be more.

:banghead:

1. what if you DON'T want to climb the ladder, you just want to get close to it?

2. what if you DON'T want to vault it, but take cover behind it

3. what if you DON'T want to deploy the bipod when in prone position, because it limits your mobility?

Nothing automatic for god sake

Exactly. I fucking hate the automatic bipod deployment every time I try to aim in Red Orchestra 2 or Battlefield 3. Automatization is a pain in the ass and reduces the control you have.

Exactly. I fucking hate the automatic bipod deployment every time I try to aim in Red Orchestra 2 or Battlefield 3. Automatization is a pain in the ass and reduces the control you have.

It's actually not completely automatic in BF3. It only deploys if you tap the right mouse button. If you just hold (maybe this only works when you DON'T have it toggle sights), it doesn't deploy. I have mine set up where I hold to look through sights, and when I release the mouse button my sights go down. So maybe that's why I don't have that issue. Either way, there at least should be the option to deploy a bipod. Controls aren't the issue that needs improvement. It's animations. Improved animations will make the controls seem/feel alot better. Well, I hope they will.

Roger that, it's the animations.

The control menu, though, however much I love it for the freedom it gives me, is essentially the devs jamming toothpicks into a newb's eyeballs and needs to be overhauled.

It's actually not completely automatic in BF3. It only deploys if you tap the right mouse button. If you just hold (maybe this only works when you DON'T have it toggle sights), it doesn't deploy. I have mine set up where I hold to look through sights, and when I release the mouse button my sights go down. So maybe that's why I don't have that issue.

I've set it on hold to sight down too, but still, it can be a nuisance.

:banghead:

I have a vision...

Arma 4 :D

Fueling your car: ALT+F4+CTRL+APPMENU COUNT TO 10 AS FAST AS POSSIBLE

Fueling your low rider car: NUMPAD 0+DOWN ARROW+x3TAB+x8WINDOWS

Grabbing cold beer from your fridgerator: ALT+TAB+WINDOWS+07819173@$*COPYIGHTSIGN+BISDIDN'TDOTHISTOPISSYOUNOOBSOFF <script type= "text/javascript"> compile advanced tacticool control scheme.write </script>

<tr>

<td>

:p

Edited by Flash Thunder

No. For one that limits your FoV, so I can only turn so far that should be deployable due to the fact you need to pull it down into the ready position.

However, as far as controls go they need to have 1,2,3,4,5, etc. for the weapons or let us map them like that. I'm tired of pressing F to cycle my weapons RoF to. Just let it be F or something for the weapon i've got it if it allows for it.

I was going to post saying the control system is 'without peer' because I love that ArmA provides so many key options to bind against (double-press, shift-combo, ctrl-combo, alt-combo) and provides a choice between toggle and hold-to-make for many important actions. However it then occurred to me...

1. I shouldn't have to cycle through fire modes for all weapons just to get to grenades. Weapon selection (or weapon type selection) needs to be bindable and fire modes needs its own key. This is the norm in other shooters and would help people transition.

2. The action menu is pretty awkward if for no other reason than the act of bringing it up (scrolling the mouse wheel) means your starting selection is unknowable and because there seems little consistency to the order of items, you actually have to scan the whole thing to get what you want.

3. I don't begrudge veterans having the option to keep using what they know but you will never convince a new player that the AI command menu system is in any way sensible or intuitive.

The answer to 2 & 3 (maybe even 1 also) is some sort of clickable rose that appears as long as you hold down a key (one key for 'actions', one key for 'commands'). Arrange all vehicle interactions on the top, all weapon interations to the right, all self-interation on the left, and anything else cascades in a menu underneath. Similar for AI command.

I'd like to see improvements on wheeled vehicular controls. I don't use my G25 in ArmA 2 because it doesn't have 1:1 mapping. All it does is increase/decrease rotation speed of the steering wheel as it always goes to full lock, even if I just turn my wheel 1 deg.

For example: In an S-curve I steer left to enter the corner and when I steer right in the game it is slowly turning from the left to the right when in real life the wheels point to the right when my steering wheel points to the right.

It seems that the delay used for keyboards is also applied on game controllers.

However it works almost perfectly in tracked vehicles - aside from the horrible deadzone.

Proper 900 degrees steering for all vehicles would be a nice touch to have.