Sign in to follow this  
Flash Thunder

PC tools registry mechanic rant/help BEWARE

Sorry if this is against forum rules but i seriously need to vent some steam...

Okay so my anti virus Nortons virus definitions were out of date and needed to be updated so I updated them next thing that happens is I get this symantic installer .exe on my desktop. Figured it was just some new software or something seems legit.

Later I find out because I left my computer to do some errands that it was PC tools registry mechanic malware garbage that I guess Norton automatically installed onto my PC.

The irritation came in form that this software automatically runs everyday at a set time and cleans your registries.. Now thats fine and dandy but when i get to my computer again I find that my PC is non functional pretty much, none of my USB ports work, CD's don't auto play, nothing even launches when going to MY computer, start up menu recently opened programs disappeared and certain websites like youtube and gametrailers were only displaying in basic HTML like just text looks like i made it on ms paint FPDR

So today I spent around 6 hours trying to figure out what the hell was wrong and finally learned that i could restore my system back to certain time period instead of doing a complete factory restore which would suck ***** :eek:

Had to restore my system TWICE to get the damn computer to not freeze and to let me update the definitions and to fix the registries that this crap screwed up in the first place.

So not only did Norton install 3rd party software without my permission it also ran without my permission and did a scan and fixed these so called registry errors and ended up giving me a nightmare of issues with my PC.

Right now my system seems to work as it did 3 weeks ago due to the system restore (thank god for that)!

I just wanted to know if there's a way I can block this program permanently from ever running on my PC again even though its not installed currently but i have a bad feeling that Norton will install it again in the future and I'll have the same issue.

Im struggling to see how Norton could install this software without my permission and then allow it to fix registry errors by itself and then when you try to recover the deleted registries and edited ones it doesn't even work...

If this happens again I'm going after Symantec for sabotage

Has anybody had this issue before?

EDIT

I recently switched to Microsoft Security Essentials, thanks for the feedback! :)

Moderators can close if they feel necessary.

Edited by Flash Thunder
Switched

Instead of using norton, use Avast! Antivirus ;)

Much better.

I'll have to look into it soon, this whole problem got me scared now, that whenever it updates again the sabotaging will begin. Seriously so many problems from fixing my registries, I cannot see how it would be a good thing to let this software be on my computer. :eek:

I like Avast! since they take security seriously and don't use it as a marketing tool. Well, they do sort of since they offer pro security, but they still don't do stupid things like what you have noted above ;)

good god, norton is the most intrusive piece of bloatware out there...

I would use nod32 or some sort of free AVG(avast would be my choice, i still have it on one of my laptops) + ccleaner for sorting our the registries and alike

Norton? I feel sorry for you brotha'. I had some adventures with him too...

After that, I used to use Avast, then I took a Script Pack to the HDD

I can recommend Avira. It killed everything Avast and NOD werent able to.

Sure, it has it's commercials, but it's not intrusive. Me & few my buddys recommend it - give it a try, it's a really good software.

Edited by JonPL

I used to have Norton, and killed it about 2 years ago after all the annoying process crap.

AVG 2012 is decent, though im using avast too along with malwarebytes and its working very well.

CCleaner is great free little tool for registry and junk cleaning.

Tune up utilities is great tool for most task aswell.

Also you don't necessarily need to restore to factory and loose your files, unless restore ( revert ) is disabled. Restore to factory is like new install ( laptop right? ), where system restore is reverting registry, personal file and/or programs before the changes has been made to your PC

I'm also pretty sure that no program ( unless malware etc..) will install anything without permission, unless you keep clicking next, next...without opting out ;)

I used Avira for a long time but switched to Microsoft Security Essentials after a colleague recommended it to me. Never looked back. :)

Instead of using norton, use Avast! Antivirus ;)

Much better.

Avast! All the way bro :bounce3: I've been using it since as far as I can remember, never had a virus on my PC. Another great Czech company.

People still use Nortons?

I use AVG.

Sadly yes. It's installed on most systems by the OEM. It's always the first thing I nuke on people's computer when they come to me with problems or I just happen to see they're running it lol.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials as it doesn't annoy the crap out of me. No update or "You haven't scanned in a while!" pop ups all the time.

I use Avira and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Oh yes indeed.

Thanks Pufu for mentioning CCleaner, just used that to do some tidying up.

I run nothing but have Malwarebytes scan about once a week just in case.

Real time protection is mostly crap IMO.

Real time protection is mostly crap IMO.

I have to disagree with that, there have been numerous times when my antivirus found a virus i what I was downloading, on removable media and so on...

Thanks for the positive feedback, looks like Norton is not the product that they boast about, I will see what I can do to uninstall it and put a different anti virus software.

Im still going to call Symantec up and chew their asses out for sabotaging my PC. :D

Sucks that I had to go back 3 weeks to get the system to boot fine, had to reinstall a few programs again.... what a fucking headache this debacle was.

Try Kaspersky internet security - the latest 2012 version is excellent.

Microsoft Security Essentials here. It's done a wonderful job of protecting my computer.

So today I finally uninstalled the bloatware that is Norton especially since the newer version started doing shit every time my computer went idle for like 20 minutes and no way to disable it from happening.

So I did a regular uninstall and did the Norton removal tool route to make sure it deleted it completely from the registries but who knows if it actually did... Im not a complete computer whiz.

Anywho I decided to get Microsoft Security Essentials, its free and from what Ive seen on a couple videos its good enough for me. Hopefully that is the case, I have more faith in you guys then I do in a corporation like Symantec. :D

Hopefully MSE wont be trying to install shit software like registry cleaners on my computer without my proper permission ;)

Cheers

So today I finally uninstalled the bloatware that is Norton especially since the newer version started doing shit every time my computer went idle for like 20 minutes and no way to disable it from happening.

So I did a regular uninstall and did the Norton removal tool route to make sure it deleted it completely from the registries but who knows if it actually did... Im not a complete computer whiz.

Anywho I decided to get Microsoft Security Essentials, its free and from what Ive seen on a couple videos its good enough for me. Hopefully that is the case, I have more faith in you guys then I do in a corporation like Symantec. :D

Hopefully MSE wont be trying to install shit software like registry cleaners on my computer without my proper permission ;)

Cheers

It doesn´t have to, you already installed Windows yourself :p

Nah Win 7 is great.