Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

Combat Record

On the ArmA3 site there's a "Combat Record" link that right now simply shows as "classified"

Please tell me there ISN'T going to be an infantile BF3/CoD style "unlock"/achievement system in BF3.:(

On the ArmA3 site there's a "Combat Record" link that right now simply shows as "classified"

Please tell me there ISN'T going to be an infantile BF3/CoD style "unlock"/achievement system in BF3.:(

How did you get to that conclusion :) ?

I see it as a section for future user made pictures and videos :)

While I don't enjoy multiplayer unlocks,

I do very much enjoy after action stats.

Most kills, most accurate, most kills per death, noobie of the battlefield, personal nemesis, most vehicle kills etc.

I know a lot of prople are like "this promotes ramboing" or bla bla bla.

But this is fun.

After a game that has been competative in spirit, an opportunity to examine how you did compared to others is fun.

Also I like there to be enough different catagories so that you have a pretty high chance of seeing your name appear in at least one of them. Even if it's only for being the absolute worst player.

Edited by Baff1

I think the problem was

Record ≠ Record :D

I think they are talking about record in the sense of videotapes and "recordings" of combat not "who is the best" style records ^^

Unlock system..wouldn't that be the Armory in multiplayer?

Dunno, I haven't played BF3 yet.

With BF2 you gain rank and as you rank up you can unlock weapons for the classes. In BF3 this is present but also applies for vehicles so you need to play in a helicopter for some time before you can unlock flares, anti tank weapons and rockets, thermal imaging and so on.

Given the way Arma works I don't see this happening, if there is a sort of gun game mode then sure but as the core? Not a chance when you can just bypass it through editor.

You mean ARMA 3 right?

It's wholly inconceivable that BIS would employ an achievement system, the ensuing shitstorm would be beyond mortal comprehension.

Thanks to the endless possibilities of the mission editor, any achievement system in Arma3 would be completely and utterly pointless.

How did you get to that conclusion :) ?

I keep asking myself the same question with all these alarmist posts, blowing misinterpretations of the smallest shreds of info way out of proportion. Remember how BIS said they would avoid AI commanding in the campaign because people didn't like it much in Arma2?

"Oh noez! BIS are removing AI from the game COMPLETELY!!!! WTF ARE THEY THINKING!?!?"

And then when they said most missions would cover a limted area, not the whole island...

"Oh NOEZ! BIS is putting LOADING SCREENS between different parts of the island!! WTF ARE THEY THINKING?!?!"

I wish I could understand the thought processes leading people to draw these insane conclusions, but I just don't. :rolleyes:

I wish I could understand the thought processes leading people to draw these insane conclusions, but I just don't. :rolleyes:

Well thats just because people are stoopid...

Well thats just because people are stoopid...

I would not go that far. They just dont bother to inform themselves well enough before they post. The wishlist thread is a perfect example :p

Remember how BIS said they would avoid AI commanding in the campaign because people didn't like it much in Arma2?

"Oh noez! BIS are removing AI from the game COMPLETELY!!!! WTF ARE THEY THINKING!?!?"

Hahaha :D the thing is, thats actually true

I had many comments like that on the Arma 3 youtube videos ^^

T

I keep asking myself the same question with all these alarmist posts, blowing misinterpretations of the smallest shreds of info way out of proportion. Remember how BIS said they would avoid AI commanding in the campaign because people didn't like it much in Arma2?

And then when they said most missions would cover a limted area, not the whole island...

"Oh NOEZ! BIS is putting LOADING SCREENS between different parts of the island!! WTF ARE THEY THINKING?!?!"

Hahaha :D the thing is, thats actually true

I had many comments like that on the Arma 3 youtube videos ^^

HOLD ON!!! are you saying the ARE removing the A.I. from the game???!!!!:eek:

Based on the facts that english is not my first language, I probably misunderstood your post and the fact that I will avoid searching for more official information on the matter, I will now make and angry post and refute all explenations from other forum members that disproove my theory.

Bonus:

Angry thread timeline:

*Enter the Angry post*

*Enter the Explenations*

*Enter the Denial*

*Enter the moderator*

*Enter the insult to the community*

*Enter the temporary ban*

*Enter the 2 weeks later angry PM to the moderator*

*Enter the perma ban*

/off topic

...because the term "COMBAT RECORD" infers a historical record of combat actions/achievements and hence , possible "rewards" such as ranks,medals and god forbid , unlocks.

As was stated , because of the very nature of the game , unlocks seem unlikely (except possibly in the campaign) but rank restrictions in MP are feasible.ie not able to use certain assets without a certain rank.

They could make it so you need to qualify on a vehicle type (pass an "exam" mission which would require you to employ various skills needed to use it well) to use this type in MP (perhaps there could be a score system allow customizing how good a pilot needs to be to fly or drive on a particular server). You'll then be sure that your pilot is competent enough not to crash the helo your entire team is flying 5 minutes after takeoff, or that he know how to fly a "realistic" mode helo before letting him/her into the cockpit.

I don't see that happening. If they did you would have to play on a BIS server with no addons. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty sure your going to be OK. Nobody will have record of your intense TKing. So your secrets are safe.... for now.:j:

I would not go that far. They just dont bother to inform themselves well enough before they post. The wishlist thread is a perfect example :p

That and there seems to be a great deal of paranoia.

Thanks to the endless possibilities of the mission editor, any achievement system in Arma3 would be completely and utterly pointless.

Some people like the drama they've initiated :) Nothing quite like that feeling of hallucinating a scenario, then getting all riled up & angry over it. Then at some point someone has to "deny" the scenario. Someone has to point out that the scenario was in fact imaginary. It's like an adult explaining to a child about bad dreams :D

Now, seeing as we can dream and talking of jumping to conclusions ... if it was a recording data save / replay / edit feature like you get with GTAIV to make movies I would wet myself :eek:

But, instead I imagine it will be some DRM guest book sign in feature with loads of additional bloat-ware for sys-tray and tied to steam account via MS live in parallel and the need to purchase a dongle for expansions ... :( When will BIS ever learn. I bet you dont even get arma3 pre-sets with your Live account for Quick Shot joystick and auto fire .... I wont be buying it. Will it come with a Duncan Firewheel?

Edited by mrcash2009

I like Dragon01's idea, something similar to the America's Army training courses would add some more depth to multiplayer, restricting untrained players from certain weapons or vehicles (of course this could be an option in the server settings). I would also like to see ribbons from completed courses kept in a profile similar to DCS FC2. Medals and other stats could also be recorded. Of course the medals would be for doing the actual action required for them like in RL, and not a medal for getting a bajillion kills. I think I might get alot of purple hearts though lol.:p

Why turning sandbox game where you can do everything into a medal/unlock arcade?

Not only stupid crap like "dumps taken" stats should be kept as far away as possible from a game that should be about teamwork - stats on the map screen should also be removed since you can easily confirm kills just by looking at them

I agree multiplayer should be about teamwork, an achievment system would only encourage glory hunting Rambo-style antics.

I could put money on it being user videos/after action reports of successful missions.