Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Physics for vehicles

We've heard you're redoing the physics part BIS. Just a little inspiration for the developers ;)

Two more videos for those who will say "but that is prerendered" - open source game Rig of Rods:

w7oIYOpzKYw

aExxgpX38jw

Simulate something similiar to this or stick to the infantry BIS ;)

Edited by IceBreakr

Nice ,but this kind of physics are more or less unnecessary for ArmA game

in ArmA 3 all vehicles gets Physx physics , what else you need? realistic destroying , crashing? keep that for race games or GTA like games

Edited by RobertHammer

RobertHammer would like to see the unique OFP destruction-origami-technique back in A3 just because "this kind of physics are more or less unnecessary"? Or even the awful A1 "switch-into-rusty-wreck" damage feature? :p;)

RobertHammer would like to see the unique OFP destruction-origami-technique back in A3 just because "this kind of physics are more or less unnecessary"? Or even the awful A1 "switch-into-rusty-wreck" damage feature? :p;)

Improved ArmA 2 damage should be enough

Anyway if you want super detailed destruction , thats masive hit on performance

Imagine 120 cars in the scene and destroy all the cars with this "super" feature = PC crash 100% xD

Edited by RobertHammer

This looks promising. I'd like to see a car that crashed into a tree actually look like it did, not like it was doused in gasoline and set alight.

Every vehicle destruction or crash looks the same in ArmAII, I'd like to see that change. Also, a tank should be able to drive over and crush smaller vehicles.

I'd like to see a car that crashed into a tree actually look like it did, not like it was doused in gasoline and set alight.

Every vehicle destruction or crash looks the same in ArmAII, I'd like to see that change.

Agreed. maybe it will actually be possible to crash land a heli without it erupting into flames killing everyone inside.

RobertHammer: its all about realism. I remember I drove over a friendly jeep with my APC in OFP, killing occupants. Can't remember any A2 scenes like that... if they're doing vehicles in a military sim they should do it properly. Its 2012 afterall, engine from 2001 won't cut it without a massive rewrite.

Improved ArmA 2 damage should be enough

Anyway if you want super detailed destruction , thats masive hit on performance

Imagine 120 cars in the scene and destroy all the cars with this "super" feature = PC crash 100% xD

Just to creat a atomic bomb explosion over the city and all of our PC crash.:D

I would love to be able to drive a tank over some enemy vehicles, and have the enemy vehicles crush and deform like that....

Agreed. maybe it will actually be possible to crash land a heli without it erupting into flames killing everyone inside.

Using handledamage eventhandler, I don't see why that shouldn't be possible already.

RobertHammer: its all about realism. I remember I drove over a friendly jeep with my APC in OFP, killing occupants. Can't remember any A2 scenes like that... if they're doing vehicles in a military sim they should do it properly. Its 2012 afterall, engine from 2001 won't cut it without a massive rewrite.

100% True!

But anyway, i highly doubt, judging with all the buzz before the old Arma1, Arma2, Arma2OA releases, that we will get it... Not in Arma3, not in any Standalone ArmA3 expansion... ArmA4 or ArmA5 in 2017 maybe....

Anyway, Ohara once said, he expects real-life density/detail for terrain and stuff to be possible rendered with this engine by 2015, IIRC in topics about LINDA we had in 2009.... That alone, would add so much possibilities....

Using handledamage eventhandler, I don't see why that shouldn't be possible already.

There you go - it's not possible to prevent deadly helicopter crashes now. Crash ignores allowDamage nor handleDamage EH.

FYI there are no new engines in the main "scene" of the gaming industry.

The main question is if BIS was to implement something like deformation - how will it perform in multiplayer and won't it burn every possible CPU down since RV keeps track of every single damaged thing on the whole map and how exactly it's damaged. Most engines just remove/reset everything when you move 50m away.

However I'm all for a more "schematic" damage like in OFP with tanks riding over cars killing poor dudes inside - if the game won't become a slideshow like in the example above.

Edited by metalcraze

I myself would love to see this in ArmA 3. But sadly I also feel that this might never come to the ArmA world. :(

Adding this would an automatic polishing for the crash landings of aircraft in the game.

Im all for it, i think physics is the future of anything that call's itself a sim. Iracing has some level of deformation, and i have seen some nasty pile ups online that didn't crash the server or my computer...and at that time i was using my old Hp pavillion laptop. I think rig of rods deformation physics is too cpu heavy but something like it can be made to work more efficiently in A3. Even before deformation i hope the vehicle dynamics/chassis/tires are realistic first and foremost. I agree with the poster... it is nearly 2012, tech is moving on, the dev's have got to keep up, their is no excuse really. Look at the character physics of GTA4 from nearly 4 years ago, physx is great but in 2012 ragdoll alone doesn't cut it in my opinion. Euphoria (GTA4) set the bench mark for character physics in the games industry a long time ago. LFS set a bench mark for vehicle/Racing sim physics in games years before Iracing even existed. I really hope BIS don't overlook this area.

Edit, i also hope their is support for force feedback wheels to complement the new physics in A3 ;)

Edited by freeman83

I'm sure almost anything is possible using scripting. But I thought I was paying bi for this game so they could do the scripting while I do the playing. I guess I'm just a lazy customer though.

I myself would love to see this in ArmA 3. But sadly I also feel that this might never come to the ArmA world.

Adding this would an automatic polishing for the crash landings of aircraft in the game.

Yeah I doubt we will see much if any improvement in arma 3. Its too bad because in a future setting vehicles will be an even more important factor in war. in a "simulator" you would think they would be represented better. I guess There heading in the right direction with physix though.

There you go - it's not possible to prevent deadly helicopter crashes now. Crash ignores allowDamage nor handleDamage EH.

AllowDamage is a cheap mans HandleDamage, and will typically get ignored due any HandleDamage EH's. There might be differences to how certain types of damage are handled (i.e. caused by explosion?), but a very simple HandleDamage on editor placed heli with me as driver made the heli invulnerable to crash damage at least.

I have to agree with ICEBREAKR on this one. All too often I see posts on the forums or see conversations on Skype that shoot down potential game improvements. The responses range from "what more do you want" to "it's not that kind of game". In previous versions of the games we used to play rock/paper/scissors, but with tanks and lightposts. Most times the lightposts won. Then there were landing lights that would destroy a vehicle, etc. I guess what I'm getting at is that when we point these things out to the devs, they tend to get fixed. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so to speak.

There should be some kind of vehicle deformation, but I doubt that we will see it in Arma3. Maybe in the Expansion or in Arma4. Let them make sure that PhysX works without Problems, then they can expand on it

Lol we all wish Tonci. Imagine how complex that would be with the amount of things that can mess up your vehicle in Arma - mines, rpgs, small arms, collisions. Oh jesus. :D

With time maybe the engine will handle it starting at least with some basic deformation, GPU's can do physics and these will become more and more powerful. The only problem is multiplayer but again let's see how Arma 3 will arrive. Anyway i trust BIS and i believe this engine will keep growing, afterall the military also sees benefits in using this engine as well.