Sign in to follow this  
myshaak

X: Rebirth

Yeah, Freelancer could have used a better flight model. I really can´t express it, mybe metalcraze can better explain what we mean when we say no soul. The Areas where quite empty, apart from a few space stations and factorys and a planet here and there.

By "no soul" I mean that sectors look generic

Space isn't generic. Freelancer for all its mediocrity got the 'Space' bit right.

You had stations hidden in gas clouds, you had a system with a dead star which extreme radiation slowly ate through your ship, you had a lost Spain ship flying among debris and you could see all those capsules carrying people inside, you had a system that looked like a tunnel with weird planetary remnants... Every time you jumped through a wormhole into an unknown sector there was a chance it will be completely different to where you've just been.

X has none of this. Square sectors filled with same things and with N,S,W,E exits

Space is much more interesting beast than that.

Space isn't generic. Freelancer for all its mediocrity got the 'Space' bit right.

You had stations hidden in gas clouds, you had a system with a dead star which extreme radiation slowly ate through your ship, you had a lost Spain ship flying among debris and you could see all those capsules carrying people inside, you had a system that looked like a tunnel with weird planetary remnants... Every time you jumped through a wormhole into an unknown sector there was a chance it will be completely different to where you've just been.

X has none of this. Square sectors filled with same things and with N,S,W,E exits

He summed it up very good. Where did you find the spain ship?

It's true that sectors look a bit similar, but between that and "no soul" I think there is quite a difference.

I only have Terran Conflict, and I'm not a die hard fan, but I appreciate the big universe, the complex environment and its economy, the variety of things you can build. Not to mention the small things, like all the battles. To me that's a pretty good soul.

This is pretty much it!

@ Tonci87

Must be in some of the Omicron Systems in the southeast of the map!

And that is what FL has to offer and I'm not missing these in X.

Fl -a great game for 6-10 hours and then I becomes really boring, same old routines, not to mention arcade style of flight and combat and push for the main plot. X gives more freedom not to mention management of fleets, trade and production.

same old routines

Well that bothered me a little bit in X3 You had to grind so much to afford a good ship or factory, it was really a routine job

You can make money in many ways.

- trading

- doing different missions for cash (transporting, taxi, enforcing, assasinting, building, protecting etc)

- pirating other ships

- boarding other ships

- searching for salvage wrecks, reapiring and selling them

- picking up unowned cargo crates

- mobile mining

- hunting Xenon, Khaak or even Pirates for cash

- smuggling illegal wares

Some are more profitable than other each way allows to make cash. Routine is when you only stick to one way of making money e.g. buy at one station -> sell at other station x 20. For sure that's bit of boring.

I leave the computer on overnight so I have lots of wonga in the morning.

Privateer 2 had the best story in the genre so far.

Christopher Walkens pirate mothership. The one that looked like a giant squid with loads of fighters streaming out of it.

I concur about X being soulless.

But the economic model and the AI management is in a league of it's own.

Edited by Baff1

Gnat;2068852']hmmm ..... will X3-Gold mean I get it for free ?

don't think so. For what I see it's only for the superbox

Woot another expansion before Rebirth?

These guys always deliver,can't wait to play it.Hmm so Torus gets destroyed,apparently Terran military wasn't that great if one woman managed to bring it down.

Egosoft shut up and take my money!!

Holy old thread batman!

Well it's for significant reasons, hadn't been following the game too closely but watched these last night and IMO it's looking absolutely stunning, day one purchase for sure.

... day one purchase for sure.

Yup, same here. I haven't touched an X game since "X: Beyond the Frontier" and "X-tension", so it will be interesting to see how the gameplay has evolved after all these years. :)

I played the hell out of x3: Reunion and x3: TC and I sure as hell am looking forward to play Rebirth! Unfortunately, the info about the game was so sparse that I almost forgot about it... Looking forward to grabbing some Advanced Nova, arming it with HEPTs and wreak some havoc!

Yeah I played it and loved it back in the day when I was purely a sit hunched over the PC kind of gamer, I've evolved (devolved?) for my sins into more of a lay in bed using a controller in front of the 120" projector screen, so whilst I can still play PC games with a 20M HDMI cable running through the walls (I kid you not) previous X games just didn't work with a controller, thankfully now that problem is no more, and seems that to please the demographic like myself they haven't had to dilute the game or its scope so the hunched over PC gamer type will enjoy it just as much as ever! Hard to believe they made all that with a staff of 20 as well!

Certainly looks impressive, i am not familiar with the X- games is multi-player available or are they normal single player?

Certainly looks impressive, i am not familiar with the X- games is multi-player available or are they normal single player?

All X games so far have been single player only, and from what I have read this is still the case with Rebirth.

Yep Rebirth seems to be singleplayer only but they have plans for an online X:

http://holdtheline.com/threads/a-chat-with-egosoft.5970/#post-148578

HTL: What does the future hold for the X-Series after Rebirth? Any chances X: Online Universe becomes a reality? Any future projects you can share with us? Can we expect the Rebirth to have the same continued support we saw with the ‘trilogy’?

​ES: Absolutely. X Rebirth is only the start of a new era of X games. We have big plans for this game and beyond. X Rebirth will be extended just like the X3 games were, if not more. After working for almost seven years, we first want to bring out version 1.0 and show it to our community. Then the discussion can start and we can decide together where we will take it in the future.:)​

It sure looks interesting.

My main problem with previous X games was the lack of long term motivation. I simply stoped playing at some point.

I simply stoped playing at some point.

Yeh, same.

But does look real nice .....