Sign in to follow this  
ArmAriffic

Codemasters Guildford Studio to close!

(from PC Gamer)

News arrives from GamesIndustry.biz that Codemasters is closing down its Guildford studio, which has previously worked on the recent Operation Flashpoint games, and the poorly received console shooter, Bodycount.

Codemaster’s official statement says that the publisher will be concentrating on growing the teams based at their Warwickshire and Birmingham studios, responsible for racing titles like DiRT, GRID, F1 Online and F1 2011. The closure of the Guildford studio means we’re not likely to see any more shooters from Codemasters in the foreseeable future.

The studio closure has affected 66 members of staff, who “are now involved in a consultation period.†The Codemasters statement says that employees at Guildford “will be encouraged to apply for suitable positions on campus and in the Birmingham studio,†where Codemasters plan to form another team to start work on a new racing title.

“As Codemasters looks to take greater leadership in the racing category, the company is proposing a studio structure that adds resource and strengthens our best-in-class racing teams.†reads the statement. “The output from the studios on the Warwickshire campus and in Birmingham is on the increase.â€

Dirt 3 was the last racer Codemasters released on PC. We gave it a score of 88 in our Dirt 3 review. F1 2011 is out later this month.

Keep it as flame free as possible please :)

Keep it as flame free as possible please

Then you'd better ask for closing the thread. ;)

@PurePassion:

ironman544.jpg

I'm sure there'll be lots of sickening gloating from BIS sychophants over this, but either way, 3 poor performing shooters in a row with Bodycount being an absolute strike out. 'Course Codemasters is to blame too, the flaws in those projects could be seen in every preview.

I'm sure there'll be lots of sickening gloating from BIS sychophants over this

If you dont like it, you can always leave :yay:

These are the BIS forums, afterall.

So finally now it's more than official that OFPlaughsmileyR was a total failure (ok ok, it was commonly known already since before its release :D ).

Many people warned CM that such a game concept like DR was would not conquer the market. But they didn't want to listen and created the Guildford studio to increase the work on the game.

Well, there you go...

If I'm not wrong it has been developed in their Southam studios and not at Guildford. In any case it doesn't matter anymore.:D

Shit happens:eek:

Hahahaahhaahhaahahahahahhahaah..

I'm sorry but karma is my best friend.. how are you doing mate.. I knew for a long time you would come (again..:yay:) but how the #*$&@#*($& are you doing?:)

So the old lass can finally rest in peace, buried with full military honours.

OpFlashpointRIP.jpg

Buahahaha..., only a matter of time i suppose.., and highly predictable.

Remains to be seen if CM are gonna be awkward and not sell the title to anyone else.

Why are you guys happy that 66 people lost their jobs? The actual villains probably didn't.

CM has no problems to screw over their fanbase why should they care for their employees? I'm sorry for the guys which lost their jobs, but what are you going to expect from a company with a business model like CM's?

If I'm not wrong it has been developed in their Southam studios and not at Guildford. In any case it doesn't matter anymore.:D

Shit happens:eek:

You might be right, but at least according to this news the Guildford studio was established to support the work on the game:

(German - sorry :p ) http://www.4players.de/4players.php/spielinfonews/Allgemein/447/121055/Codemasters.html

Sadly it's the common developer that suffers the most here. I hope they'll find a new place to do their artistic work. The top dogs, however, should really find themselves a different profession.

Lenton and his accomplices can sell their quackery somewhere else then the gaming industry from now on.

Edited by colossus

Why are you guys happy that 66 people lost their jobs? The actual villains probably didn't.

Collateral damage.

I don't think anyone is taking pleasure in individuals losing jobs -but when a lying, decpetive company that has ripped people off goes down - people cheer.

When Enron went down, secretaries, laborers etc... all went down -we're not cheering that fact tho it's an unfortunate byproduct of the POS company they worked for.

Personally, I'm f*ckin glad they sank.

Yipiiiiieeeeeeee, see ya never again codies fooling the gamers market with any OFP title!!

Best CM news I read in many years.

@employees

As long as any of the realistic simulation hardcore CM games are not added to your cv I am sure (and I also hope) you can get a job elsewhere as soon as possible :)