Sign in to follow this  
Cripsis

Wargame: European Escalation Gameplay

In this european escalation, I´ve already seen quite suprising ways to play. Yesterday one team-mate built around 50-80 cheap rifle squads that he spread around the map (edges). I though he was joking (since I made few mistakes at start and we had only one zone captured, and even lost it early), but once he began to attack with those, the victory came fast. Still the opponents were playing quite poor too, my one AA-guy dropped at least 5 cobras and they constantly attacked with tanks very close each other which could be easily scared with arty.

But of the best aspects in this game is the possibility to play in different way. And you dont need to be fast. Someone said the leading player in league make only 12 clicks in minute (I make 9.8) while in starcraft 2 the best (koreans) use 200-300 clicks in minute.

Excelent game, and it only gets better.

I'm glad you said that, I do worry with games like this you are so busy rushing around getting new orders in that you don't get a chane to admire the visuals or enjoy a particularly fierce firefight. I imagine the scale of the maps has a lot to do with this, an aspect I find lacking in WiC and CoH.

Not just the scale, but realistic speeds for the units do a lot to keep it at a manageable pace (I'm pushing 30, I don't even ATTEMPT to play Starcraft online). Once you select a platoon of tanks and click, there's a slight delay, they form up, then move out, and they move at a realistically slow pace, depending on terrain. There's also a chance to get a track stuck in mud if you take it off road, or throw a track, or move really slowly through swamps. There are roads, but that makes holding key terrain that much more important in this game. I won a match by holding a key ridge along my enemy's primary avenue of approach, and stopping the attack that nearly wiped out my ally. Making sure to keep units supplied and keeping the trucks protected from your FOB to your lines keeps things slow, too, since you're going to need to slow down to protect your trucks.

I've seen player attempt tactics that could be exploitative - One match saw one of my enemies drop all his points into FOBs and Artillery pieces (The FOBs are basically giant supply hubs). But arty gets pretty spread out at range, and since he couldn't project enough force to get a sense of where my forces were concentrated, he spent a lot of his time shelling an empty objective zone that I moved out of to control the ridge I mentioned earlier. This game is GOOD, I could see an actual military using it, or a version of it, for Officer training.

From what I've heard they're going to reset everything for the release (Tomorrow?!).

But I'll take this as a chance to focus my unit deck on rocket launching vehicles, Tank destroyers and AA infantry when it's starting again.

Setting up ambushes in surrounding areas and sending out ninja SF Forces to disturb enemy supply routes/command vehicles has proven to be the most successful tactic for me to counter the enemy tank avalanches of BMPs and T-62s.

First time I see this game :O looks really nice indeed, I like cold war RTS games, the last one good Cold War title I played was Cold War Crisis mod for C&C Generals.

Is this game available on the market yet ?

From what I've heard they're going to reset everything for the release (Tomorrow?!).

But I'll take this as a chance to focus my unit deck on rocket launching vehicles, Tank destroyers and AA infantry when it's starting again.

Setting up ambushes in surrounding areas and sending out ninja SF Forces to disturb enemy supply routes/command vehicles has proven to be the most successful tactic for me to counter the enemy tank avalanches of BMPs and T-62s.

Yeah, they are resetting. I really don't want to rebuild my deck, but it's not like I won't enjoy the process.

Aww, I was looking forward to the head start. I hope the SP earns me some command stars, I was really looking forward to the campaign portion too.

I'm sitting on the fence on this one. I hated RUSE, but I love WiC. Hopefully there will be a demo coming out soon.

I'm sitting on the fence on this one. I hated RUSE, but I love WiC. Hopefully there will be a demo coming out soon.

That is exactly how I felt. I played the demo of RUSE and I was really not convinced by the gameplay. World in Conflict single player of course goes without saying that it is excellent.

And Wargame? I just love it. In fact their terrains are such a stunningly good representation of German terrain, that they are to blame for my ambition to remake Celle. :o

Except for the heightmaps of their maps: there are no rolling hills, just either water, flat area or plateau. But the layout of the fields and forests are superb, many possibilities of approaching an objective.

Heck, I even sacrificed my lunch break to get a taste of the first single player mission...

And the first thing I learned: Do not play this game when in rush. It's no fun then if you can't spend time looking at the towns and units.

If you have steam you should have just pre-ordered and get it refunded if you don't like it since it was still technically a pre-order. :)

this game need spectator mode (or does it have one?) , i would like to watch the battles (interactive screensaver)

Except for the heightmaps of their maps: there are no rolling hills, just either water, flat area or plateau. But the layout of the fields and forests are superb, many possibilities of approaching an objective.

I thought those maps looked a bit flat in the videos. I'm still considering getting it though.

I don't think elevation is really feasible without some really involved game mechanics to handle it. You would need some sort of visualized map layer to tell you where the dead ground is, and whether you have line of sight. This was an issue I had with the Men of War demo, which has much more detailed terrain. I couldn't tell what was defilade and what was in the open, and bullets seemed to be zipping through the ground.

Wasn´t a problem for Total Annihilation 15 years ago. Just saying....

And yeah, in MOW I have a hard time to judge heights.

Hows the MP interface and player integration? I mean, your profile, clans, statistics, CW.... I really like what WiC offered (IMO, one of the best in-game built "that thing").

they did have mountains in ruse so its not something they cant do

yet to pick it up..over to gamestop tomorrow :D

It isn't bad in TA's spiritual successor Supreme Commander either. I could see it being an issue from a zoomed out strategic perspective but you can zoom in pretty far in WG:EE it would seem. That would probably be good enough. I'm going to monitor this thread and use that to decide if I want to get it or not.

I think you'd enjoy it, Jakerod. The terrain can seem a bit flat, but the way it's implemented with plateaus is much more like Steel Panthers than Supreme Commander. Makes holding that terrain above avenues of approach much more important since a rolling hill would be a nightmare to get your units into an actual hull-down position, and now it's just calculated based on their position. Actually, now that I think about it, this is like a real time Steel Panthers 3, which is just awesome!

Think il get this one looks quite cool.

Edit: Well i bought it, played the SP for a bit was ok. But the mutliplayer keep crashing to a blackscreen as soon as it starts.

Edited by Opticalsnare

Btw. there is some hills on the new maps (not just the plateau(s)). So far spotted one, but would expect more. :) I was wondering why my tanks dont shoot the nearby enemy, but once I zoomed down I noticed that I was climbing on the hill.

Rivers of Blood has some of those hills.

Well, I finally bought the game. Now I just have to figure out if and how you resupply the supply trucks. :butbut:

Well, I finally bought the game. Now I just have to figure out if and how you resupply the supply trucks. :butbut:

bring them to a F.O.B :)

EDIT: note, if you have artty units firing and being resupplied by a FOB, you must wait for them to be fully stocked before the trucks will be restocked

Yeah, I was a bit hasty with that post. I probably should have launched mission #2 (Crossroads) first.. :rolleyes: Thanks anyway :D

First impression is good, although the UI could have been a bit more embellished.

Alot of spam in this game.

its easy to counter, thats the point of RUSE and wargame, everything has a counter so you must use good tactics