Sign in to follow this  
suma

ARMA 2: OA beta build 83780

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Replaces 83740 (fixed broken visibility testing)

[83759] Fixed: AI not engaging through glass and other penetrable surfaces (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/4438).

[83726] Fixed: Lipsync for radio not working.

[83721] Fixed: AI no longer seeing through dense grass (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/5785)

Does that mean AI can shoot when inside the buildings through windows?

They already did, I think there were some building types that had this bug.

I have seen it just yesterday, with 83759 - you can see it with 83780 now if you want. :) I have tested a Chernarusion general store (a repro provided on CIT) and in addition I have tested AI shoothing through UAZ windows at the unit standing behind the UAZ. If you have some other interesting cases which work or do not work for you, let us know here.

[83759] Fixed: AI not engaging through glass and other penetrable surfaces

Oh wow! Never thought I'd see the day......:o

I have seen it just yesterday, with 83759 - you can see it with 83780 now if you want. :) I have tested a Chernarusion general store (a repro provided on CIT) and in addition I have tested AI shoothing through UAZ windows at the unit standing behind the UAZ. If you have some other interesting cases which work or do not work for you, let us know here.

Sounds great. I sure will.

I noticed that AI don't shoot through windows in office building near Chernogorsk, the exact house no. is 969757 in the grid.

Another thing I noticed is that the AI tends to go prone in the building which makes it not shoot out basically due to obstructed/blocked view. Plus the AI's reaction/view seems to be fixed to a certain angle, if you have an enemy AI positioned inside the building and detected you at the outside, it will not check it's surrounding inside the building anymore, if you run inside the building you will not be shoot at unless you walk infront of the enemy.

Edited by Muahaha

Buildings have suddenly become very dangerous places! If anyone can't be bothered to set up a test for themselves, here is a very simple one on the Proving Grounds

In Vanilla I cleared the building with the big glass windows no problem. With the beta I never even got there!

I noticed when shooting through glass myself that the bullet gets a bit deflected if you´re standing in an angle to the window (esp. smaller calibers).

I hope this is valid for AI also!?

I noticed when shooting through glass myself that the bullet gets a bit deflected if you´re standing in an angle to the window (esp. smaller calibers).

I hope this is valid for AI also!?

AFAIK, the penetration and deflection physics are the same for all bullets, including those fired by the AI. :)

I'm seeing units running off when being attacked by an AI unit.

They were just a small groups placed on the map with no waypoints or scripted actions.

You can hear that they spot the enemy and are told to attack but then another order comes to move 200meters. They them seem to move off in any direction 200 meters away.

I also have 3 un grouped M2s, although they can easily see the enemy AI they don't open fire.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/heuous

Has anyone else seen this.

Update

I just placed a waypoint on one of the groups to move it towards the enemy AI and it still runs off in the opposite direction.

I then tried placing a truck with one group and gave it a waypoint to move to the enemy, this time they do advance but when they get out of the truck they won't open fire on the enemy AI.

Enemy AI has had it's ammo removed for testing.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dllbnx

Edited by F2k Sel

@ F2k Sel

Maybe the units are fleeing? Try higher skill or disallow them to flee.

@ F2k Sel

Maybe the units are fleeing? Try higher skill or disallow them to flee.

That does have an effect, set it over 75% and they do stick around but it's not that simple.

I had a group of two stick around when set it to zero but made the leader a sergeant. I had another group of 3 and the leader set as sergeant and skill 50% and they run off.

I should point out that the enemy AI is a single unit mounted in a vehicles mc gun, it isn't even firing. The Enemy AI is out numbered by about 10-1

I think they are trying to engage but somehow are getting the wrong direction. I just had one unit run off 600metes. Even a Civ sticks around longer.

Edited by F2k Sel

Verify with fleeing status, and/or try to set allowFleeing 0. 10:1? Hell, even I would run :D

It's reporting fleeing true when the enemy show.

I can stop them fleeing of course but when you outnumber the enemy 10-1 they shouldn't leg it that easily and that doesn't explain why once some units board a truck and get off next to the enemy AI they won't fire on it.

I even changed the truck for a BMP and it parked along side it but didn't fire.

@F2k Sel

Are they running towards lower left corner of map? if so it indicates error position.

You can also loop this placing a marker on the expectedDestination to see where they are actually planning to go.

edit: did not see last 2 posts.

@F2k Sel

Are they running towards lower left corner of map? if so it indicates error position.

You can also loop this placing a marker on the expectedDestination to see where they are actually planning to go.

edit: did not see last 2 posts.

Well they do run off in different directions, usually it's 200meters which was exactly the distance the leader reports the enemy.

If I substitute the single mounted vehicle gunner for gunner with a driver BLUFOR engage normally and don't run off.

It seems it's confusing them.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

A little more testing reveals the problem seems to be related to the fact that the mounted gunner has no ammo, AI won't fire on that unit at a certain distance 150-200 meters.

They also won't fire on it if they move closer too it, they seem to now know it's not a threat. They will fire on it if it has a driver or you set it to careless never fire.

It also seems to be the cause of the AI running off, they don't do it when it has ammo.

I guess it would be quite a rare thing to happen in a game but I do like to keep shoving AI into machine guns and mounted guns.

AI without ammo has a very high chance to flee from my experience

Dunno about you but that sounds pretty realistic to me.

It would be even better if they scavenged for ammo or loaded weapons.