Sign in to follow this  
Craig_VG

Bulletin board update?

Its an ok feature, though it obviously should be discretely integrated into the post in question rather than taking up large amounts of space under it.

Also I took the freedom to show my gratitude to everyone in this thread not yet thanked. Your welcome :p

Edited by sparks50

Interesting additions imo, but I agree that the Thanks feature should be more subtle rather than being in a large separate box.

I would like to thank jblackrupert for pointing out that the thank you option is fucking annoying in its current state.

EDIT: Also,

For anyone using AdBlock Plus this following filter will get you rid of the oversized thanks box:

forums.bistudio.com#div(id^=post_thanks_box_)

:)

EDIT:

And this is for the anti-social types to remove the addthis.com features (if you don't script block them already):

forums.bistudio.com#div(class^=addthis_)

Edited by Deadfast

Just my personal opinion, but I think it would be more sincere from a person to say thank you on their own accord when they type it in their post,

without the help, or system of saying thanks to do so, and then adding some reward thanks count to it like how many people you have thanked,

or thanked you.

it almost seems contradictory for some people because some could abuse it just for the numbers.

I think if your going to use this system then lose the numbers of how many you thanked and how many thanked you,

i find it rather childish, do people really need a reward or stats for saying something that ethical should be said anyways.

I always thank people if they make a comment that appreciates the help I have offered, or helped solve a problem or provided

some info on something, its in my heart to go out of my way to do such things cuz I care, not for stats, stats make this feel

uneasy almost fake, and seriously what are the stats for could someone explain?

or is it when you get to a certain point of number of thanks you feel like your something specail because folks found your posts useful,

I mean comeon, then if i dont thank anyone folks would look at me different cuz I didn't kiss their ass for giving them a thanks,

or am i throwing this all out of proportion?

Focus on the game not the forums, If someone has an issue with a forum layout or finding something then theres plenty of good

moderators as well as other folks around to point the way, or do their part and help.

The Following X Users

Say Thank You to

XXX For This Useful

Especially this one is bad as it adds a huge area to each post.

Reduce the text to:

Thanks by

Also remove:

It adds only useless height to short posts.

People can still check in in the profiles page.

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

For anyone using AdBlock Plus this following filter will get you rid of the oversized thanks box:

forums.bistudio.com#div(id*=post_thanks_box_)

:)

EDIT:

And this is for the anti-social types to remove the addthis.com features (if you don't script block them already):

forums.bistudio.com#div(class*=addthis_)

Awesome, thanks (first and probably last use of the thanks system right there :D I prefer thanking this way...)

Especially this one is bad as it adds a huge area to each post.

Reduce the text to:

Also remove:

It adds only useless height to short posts.

People can still check in in the profiles page.

Has my vote too :)

Something like on Disqus; like / dislike, with a counter seems more than enough.

I think the thanks option isn't bad, better than useless posts I think, but perhaps some small tweaks to presentation :)

The social bits are fine, people can disable it with browser tools themselves, it doesn't take up extra vertical space.

Edited by Sickboy

yeah, i would like a option to turn off the "social" for the anti social population.

also if it is really necesary to have this thank you stuff, get rid of the huge windows, and simplify it to a youtube standard of thumbs up or down(down, may allow for massive flaming venting without offensive posts being used)

then if anyone so desires to "know" who liked and who "disliked"(for to track IP and get home adress of said person) then they can click on the liked link instead of seeing a massive window.

edit: seems the thank you function is turned off again :D

and for the love of all that is holy, spare us of these COD stats of how many thanks youve clicked.. :)

Show only thanked messages button or search option for thread would be useful to filter you useless chit chat and offtopic replys in threads and immediately seeing those replys that have most reading value.

Edited by Hanzu

I intend to reach OVER 9 THOUSAND posts without a single thank.

You just failed because of this great old post. ;)

Edited by Hanzu

Thanks button will shortly be removed :)

Actually it is already :/

I don't think removing it completely is good, but do not bloat the forum with the big boxes. Keep the "Thanked by xx,xy,yy" left of the quote/reply/Multiquote button plz

No, removing it completely is good, very, very good :)

No, removing it completely is good, very, very good :)

This post was thanked by:

NeMeSiS

this post was thanked by:

Nemesis

lol :)

I don't understand why taking the thanks button away is progress. Because 4 people have made a noisy objection to this, it's taken away?

So what's going to happen now? We'll get dozens of replies in response saying "thanks", where it could have all been kept tidily in a few pixels under the original post. Threads here get long and unwieldy because of "thanks" posts, the thank system was ideal for removing the pages and pages of posts and now it's gone. We're going backwards here.

do we really want the kind of community were friends are pixels on facebook, and gratitude is expressed in a mouse click on a pre frabricated thank you button and not in a personal way?

oh wait, that is everyday life for many.....

anywho, a thumbs up or down counter thing would be ok (in the same line/bar as post number small, unintrusive and informative).

but the tested thank you system was a fail imho, expect abuse to the fullest so make it so small it can possibly be if implemented again.

and dont show us the names, make us click on thumbs up or down to see who clicked what if we so desire.

Thanks for being so diligent about removing that feature it messed the hell out of the forum layout and flow.

If someone wants to thank a poster they can do so on their profile page or in their reply that's the way it should be. :)

and gratitude is expressed in a mouse click on a pre frabricated thank you button and not in a personal way?

I would.

I don't understand why taking the thanks button away is progress. Because 4 people have made a noisy objection to this, it's taken away?

So what's going to happen now? We'll get dozens of replies in response saying "thanks", where it could have all been kept tidily in a few pixels under the original post. Threads here get long and unwieldy because of "thanks" posts, the thank system was ideal for removing the pages and pages of posts and now it's gone. We're going backwards here.

I wouldn't be against its return for the opening post only in certain release type threads (user missions, A&M:C etc), but I really don't see it as being necessary TBH and the initial implementation looked like crap. And no I don't see anything wrong with a bunch of "thanks" replies to release type threads as they 1. give the creator a sense of appreciation (more than a few lazy people pressing a button would do) and 2. they naturally bump the content release thread up the forum :)

I was hoping to collect a lot of thanks statistics and then lord them over people. Please bring it back.