Sign in to follow this  
EDcase

Helicopter flight model from TakeOnHelis

Option to have realistic heli flight model in ARMA3?  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Option to have realistic heli flight model in ARMA3?

• YES: I'd like realistic mode option.
    • NO: Leave flight model as it is.

Just want to throw something out here for discussion...

I Don't know if this is even possible but:

Would you want to have the high fidelity (hard/realistic) flight model from TakeOnHelis incorporated into ARMA3? (as an option of course)

Just want to throw something out here for discussion...

I Don't know if this is even possible but:

Would you want to have the high fidelity (hard/realistic) flight model from TakeOnHelis incorporated into ARMA3? (as an option of course)

Although during the little Cam 1 trip to the BIS stand Jay Crowe mentioned the A3 flight controls would be the more arcadey setting I think the expert mode should be there for those who want to use it.

It should also indicate to passengers that it is enabled for their pilot so you can tip your hat to him/her when you get dropped off at a waypoint.

Or if they crash you can also rib them for it and tell them to go back to arcade settings.

Yes.

BIS please add this. You can keep this as a server-side option and leave the old flight model as it is but add this on the optional basis at least.

No need for realistic cockpits - even just the flight physics will do

Yes, i'm going to be used to flying realistically in TOH so maybe an option in difficulty settings

I doubt , they will port whole realistic flight model - maybe just few things - like animations

Although during the little Cam 1 trip to the BIS stand Jay Crowe mentioned the A3 flight controls would be the more arcadey

I'm sure that is in relation to the amount of switches one would need to press/use to get the chopper rolling.

btw, flight model in RV engine (a2 at least) cannot be changed on the fly via some sort of game options.

I'm all for increased realism regarding the way the air vehicles behaves. That has nothing to do with the amount of user input needed for it though (TOH system)

I'm sure that is in relation to the amount of switches one would need to press/use to get the chopper rolling.

btw, flight model in RV engine (a2 at least) cannot be changed on the fly via some sort of game options.

I'm all for increased realism regarding the way the air vehicles behaves. That has nothing to do with the amount of user input needed for it though (TOH system)

You are right Pufu, I didn't word it correctly. He did seem to mean it was just the complexity of the inputs like switches etc.

The physical flight model of the helicopters will be the same I would imagine, although the control inputs may possibly be dumbed down a little as well.

Yeah, thats why I said that I don't know if its possible.

I think a few things should be options in ARMA3 like turbulence, dissable auto yaw, realistic power limits etc.

This may not be possible; but damage/failure if flight envelope exceeded. eg. rotors rip off if turning too fast at high speed.

I could live without the switches if they are too difficult but its more about how the helicopter behaves and removing the flight 'helpers'.

On a slightly separate note to hijack my own thread: The rotors MUST be deadly in ARMA3. No more walking though the tail rotors. (Not really an issue with the Comanche though ;))

Also the blades need to have collision detection to be damaged/destroyed by strikes with objects. Light damage could introduce shaking/vibration and less response to Cyclic controls.

Edited by EDcase

well then BIS is making a mistake not adding this realism settings in arma 3 and it should be the standard control not just in expert. when they really wanna make a good war simulation this is the way to go. we have enough arcade war games with this flat arcade controls...

Of course they will not make Arma 3 have the same level of physics as their helicopter game, other wise, why would they make the helicopter game?

If you could buy Arma 3 + Take On all in one, who on earth would just buy Take On alone? Think of it from a marketing point of view.

Of course they will not make Arma 3 have the same level of physics as their helicopter game, other wise, why would they make the helicopter game?

^^ This.

We know that ToH will have two realism settings: one watered down easy one for noobs and one more fully featured setting for the hardcore guys. Arma3 might get the easy one, but I wouldn't even hold my breath for that.

Well let us first play ToH and see how it is, okay?

If you could buy Arma 3 + Take On all in one, who on earth would just buy Take On alone? Think of it from a marketing point of view.

What would be interesting is if they could add Take On as a module into A3, then there would be an incentive to buy both.

So then Take On users could make the most of the flight system they will have practised (for many months) before A3's release.

Would be nice if the maps got ported into A3 as well. ;)

Exactly. It's like how people wanted ArmA's content ported to Arma 2 by BIS. It wouldn't make much sense.

Yes, but not too complicated to make it a sim within a sim.

People who don't want to shoot stuff and want a high fidelity, high quality helicopter simulation? You don't have to have the opening panels in Arma, just the flight model, because the current one is shitty, and considering the amount of cross over work between the two games, it wouldn't make sense for it to NOT be incorporated.

Apart from, you know, a major selling point of Take On is the improved flight modeling...

Apart from, you know, a major selling point of Take On is the improved flight modeling...

Thats not ALL it is though. ToH has a fully working Virtual Cockpit, A3 so far doesn't. ToH has the opening panels, A3, so far, doesn't either.

In every other respect they're sharing pretty much everything, the only really really noticeable difference between the two is the view distance and map size, and the design of those maps themselves.

I think the difference is that they are sharing the technology to facilitate creating an identity for each product. Sharing the nuts and bolts of terrain rendering makes sense between sim titles, because no matter what sim you're making, you need a landscape. What makes TOH special is its attention to detail on helicopters. Sharing that tech would start a tendency of redundancy between titles.

I don't think Arma 2's helicopter model is shitty.

Obviously it is not realistic, no where near as realistic as a proper simulation, but for an infantry simulator I think Arma 2 helicopter flight models are great.

I voted realistic, but maybe a mix sim/arcade would be better. Like Arma2 is ok for me, and I dont use helicopters in coop missions, so...

I think the difference is that they are sharing the technology to facilitate creating an identity for each product. Sharing the nuts and bolts of terrain rendering makes sense between sim titles, because no matter what sim you're making, you need a landscape. What makes TOH special is its attention to detail on helicopters. Sharing that tech would start a tendency of redundancy between titles.

i disagree. both titles could easily have advanced flight models and still sell to its targeted audience without blurring the lines between the two. The technology is an enabling feature of both platforms, but what determines their success is how players engage with the virtual world. Game design is important. I doubt sharing technology will create any precedence for redundancy in either title.

Edited by Ebolavirus
typo

i disagree. both titles could easily have advanced flight models and still sell to its targeted audience without blurring the lines between the two. The technology is an enabling feature of both platforms, but what determines their success is how players engage with the virtual world. Game design is important. I doubt sharing technology will create any precedence for redundancy in either title.

Are you going to buy Take On? Would you buy Take On if you got just as good an helicopter flight experience in ArmA 3? I bet if you asked these questions to a lot of people and got them to answer honestly there would be some people who would not buy Take On if the helicopter models were comparable.

I'm definately going to buy TKOH. Gamespots' visit at E3 convinced me. I wasn't sure before. And I'd still buy it if Arma 3 had the same advanced flight model.