Sign in to follow this  
EDcase

Helicopter flight model from TakeOnHelis

Option to have realistic heli flight model in ARMA3?  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Option to have realistic heli flight model in ARMA3?

• YES: I'd like realistic mode option.
    • NO: Leave flight model as it is.

Some people who buy ArmA 3 will also buy TOH just for the flight model, yes or no?

No, because as stated before, ToH is a very different game to Arma 3 as a whole.

Some people who buy ArmA 3 will also buy TOH just for the flight model, yes or no?

I'm actually considering buying TOH for the simple fact that I find flying in sims enjoyable and I'll take any excuse to support BIS...although I can say with a great deal of certainty that I'm not going to buy or play carrier command.

This is an awesome opportunity for BI if they allow MP compatibility between TOH and Arma3. Currently some sims are trying to work their way from jet combat flight sim to FPS such as FighterOps and DCS. By going this path BI is taking a shortcut and essentially making the ultimate combat simulation. If TOH allows FPS mode then its obvious that it would fit with Arma3 no problem if the devs approach this with MP compatibility in mind. Advantages allow for more realistic missions and even more realistic use of helicopters. The current FM for Arma2 is not that bad I actually like it and also fly DCS KA50 so I know the difference between the 2. I've beaten every mission in FSX and acceleration including all the helicopter missions which are alot of fun. FSX is not just about flying from point A to point B but also completeing missions and earning rewards/medals for the log book. From my flying these sims I can see some big advantages if they choose to allow MP compatibility.

Ideally arma3 should have a combined mod with TOH which allows same maps in both and fast switching from flying the helicopter to FPS mode. With a clickable pit the pilot has more freedom to use the helicopter realistically such as autopilot, proper TADs(does A2 already have this if not why not?) drones should have variable height(IRL they fly quite high), ground targetting should allow for ground stabilise for both UAV camera mode and TADS and then simple slew and lock. (like DCS KA50)

Further potential for more money for more addons for BI:

1/ Realistic terrain addons with larger terrain blocks or Global map.

2/ Ship combat addon like dangerous waters/688I(possible already?)

3/ Realistic tank addon like TOH except tanks are like steel beasts modelling.(individual tank or make a pack with SDK so community could make the rest)

4/ Aircraft addon- Jet combat with Lockon FC2 level avionics or the ultimate would be Falcon 4/DCS A-10C but whats needed is just basic FC2 level to allow realistic combat A/A and A/G. Just look at the JSF in A2 it needs a targetting pod view like the Commanders view in the Abrams but with ground stalising and lock, laser(could include codes for buddy lasing etc) and CCRP delivery mode for LGBs in the HUD plus CCIP for iron bombs for accurate delivery.

I'm actually considering buying TOH for the simple fact that I find flying in sims enjoyable and I'll take any excuse to support BIS...although I can say with a great deal of certainty that I'm not going to buy or play carrier command.

I'll buy the CC only if it has same physics fidelity as Men Of War series.

No, because as stated before, ToH is a very different game to Arma 3 as a whole.

That's Pretty much the reason why I voted "No". Also lets say that they did import the flight model from TOH into ArmA, Then won't that mean that if you wanted to play TOH all you have to do is get into a helicopter in Arma? Doing this could reduce the sales in TOH. No point in buying TOH if Arma has what TOH has plus a fully featured combat simulator. BTW I could be wrong.

TOH Say Count : 5

...Also lets say that they did import the flight model from TOH into ArmA, Then won't that mean that if you wanted to play TOH all you have to do is get into a helicopter in Arma?

BOH?? So by jumping into a chopper in A3, SUDDENLY I'm really playing TOH. Or by jumping into a chopper in TOH, SUDDENLY I'm playing A3... oh hang on... does it not go the other way...??? If both games conflicted in their design, then surely your argument would make perfect sense.

Or by jumping into a chopper in TOH, SUDDENLY I'm playing A3... oh hang on... does it not go the other way...??? If both games conflicted in their design, then surely your argument would make perfect sense.

Everything before that can go to my post, But everything stated there is pretty much not targeting anything I said, I never stated "by jumping into a chopper in TOH, suddenly your playing A3". Your came out of the blue with all that. And The word "Suddenly" is marked in red because your not suppose to type in all caps, unless it stands for something.

Please read my post correctly.

Edited by Haystack15

Please read my post correctly.

Oh I see... so....

if you wanted to play TOH all you have to do is get into a helicopter in Arma?

So what exactly are you saying/referring/implying here? Are you referring to MP compatibility? If you are, its not suggested in your post, maybe you should take a bit more care before hitting the reply button. As I read it, you seem to be suggesting TOH will suffer a loss in sales all because A3 "hypothetically" uses the same FM. So by design, TOH offers players absolutely nothing over what A3 already offers?

TOH will have VERY different missions and playing style to A3 so you can't compare the two as conflicting.

I don't think A3 will be able to have a FM as complex as TOH but I'm hoping that it can use some TOH features to make it a bit more real/complex.

So what exactly are you saying/referring/implying here? Are you referring to MP compatibility? If you are, its not suggested in your post, maybe I should take a bit more care before hitting the reply button.

;)

As I read it, you seem to be suggesting TOH will suffer a loss in sales all because A3 "hypothetically" uses the same FM. So by design, TOH offers players absolutely nothing over what A3 already offers?

FPDR The point of TOH is for players to experience a realistic helicopter flight model. If that was Incorporated into ArmA then yes they will lose sales because ArmA will have what TOH is really trying to give to the player.

So Yes TOH will still have the "Realistic Flight Model" to offer to the players, But what I'm saying is People might be more tempted into Buying Arma instead of TOH if it has the "Realistic Flight Model" and a "fully featured combat simulation".

Edited by Haystack15

FPDR The point of TOH is for players to experience a realistic helicopter flight model. If that was Incorporated into ArmA then yes they will lose sales because ArmA will have what TOH is really trying to give to the player.

The fact that you change what people say by manipulating their quotes is fcking childish. If you are unable to reply without twisting quotes to suite your own lack of words then maybe you shouldn't reply. I also believe you assume too much and my original reply stands.

Technology is ubiquitous, get use to it. The argument "TOH will lose cash because arma has it..." is quite a shallow.

Surely TOH is more than just a realistic helicopter flight model to players? Think about it, if you can...

I'm going to buy TOH as I am an aspiring commercial helicopter pilot

I'll also buy ARMATre

In my case, ARMA isn't stealing TOH's profitability or marketability

Edited by Montanaro

I would like certain elements of more realistic flight....

1.You should get turned into shredded meat if you walk through an MH60 tail rotor.

2.If you tilt the helicopter too far forwards, and you are flying something with external benches, the passengers should fall off.

3. There should be an ability to rappel in from larger helicopters like the MH60.

4. Helicopters with two or even three engines should have the effect of just one or two engines being lost modeled.

5. Instruments and cockpit layout could be more realistic. However, I don't want to have to pull a billion switches each time I fly.

6. More realistic crashes.

7. NO MORE AUTO-HOVER!

No point in buying TOH if Arma has what TOH has plus a fully featured combat simulator.

i completely agree with this - BIS arent stupid enough to do encorporate the whole flight module into ArmA3, unless they boost the RRP of ArmA3 and decrease the RRP of TOH. but i dont see that happening either. theres a million pros of this, and a million cons - it could happen, but its more likely it wouldnt.

7. NO MORE AUTO-HOVER!

im curious here, why is auto hover a problem for you ? surely if you dont like it you would just leave it turned off ?

im curious here, why is auto hover a problem for you ? surely if you dont like it you would just leave it turned off ?

He can't help it. :(

The fact that you change what people say by manipulating their quotes is fcking childish. If you are unable to reply without twisting quotes to suite your own lack of words then maybe you shouldn't reply. I also believe you assume too much and my original reply stands.

What a meany head, I wasn't using such profane language on you. I'm sorry, but after a statement like that I think I'll just let you count to ten and go cool down.

Have a nice day Sir, :)

i completely agree with this - BIS arent stupid enough to do encorporate the whole flight module into ArmA3, unless they boost the RRP of ArmA3 and decrease the RRP of TOH. but i dont see that happening either. theres a million pros of this, and a million cons - it could happen, but its more likely it wouldnt.

You could be right, Pufu Also said something somewhat similar to you, Said here

I'm sure that is in relation to the amount of switches one would need to press/use to get the chopper rolling.

btw, flight model in RV engine (a2 at least) cannot be changed on the fly via some sort of game options.

I'm all for increased realism regarding the way the air vehicles behaves. That has nothing to do with the amount of user input needed for it though (TOH system)

Continuing from what I'm saying Because of TOH requires a fully working cockpit (Usable buttons), They could be dumbed down. But the Standard US Layout Keyboard has over 101 keys, Plus you can do some Combo's. So it might not be dumbed down as much.

I Can't predict the future Though. :(

Edited by Haystack15
Found who said it

I just don't like the fact that the feature is there at all. It's the most blatantly unrealistic thing I've seen in ArmA2, despite the fact that I find it quite unhelpful anyways. Real helicopters don't have a magic hover button.

What a meany head, I wasn't using such profane language on you.

apologies for the profane language. I take offense to you misrepresenting what was said by directly changing the comments within the quotes.

OT I have no direct opinion as to how much of the TOH FM I'd like to be incorporated into A3. I will leave those opinions until I purchase TOH. However I would like to see some advancement in flight over the throttle up and go scenario we have now.

apologies for the profane language. I take offense to you misrepresenting what was said by directly changing the comments within the quotes.

OT I have no direct opinion as to how much of the TOH FM I'd like to be incorporated into A3. I will leave those opinions until I purchase TOH. However I would like to see some advancement in flight over the throttle up and go scenario we have now.

I'm also sorry for what you took offense of, I would also like to see improvements in the flight model in Arma. But just not a import of TOH. I'm a big fan of Arma and Flight simulators, I have High hopes for TOH. I just don't want to see a copy paste action from TOH that could mess up the audience interest in it.

If that happens then I will have less people to talk about how sweet it is.

They do, actually.

Correct, If i'm not mistaken, Bell Helicopters has an autopilot that will do the auto-hover and that tends to correct a few things,

Edited by Haystack15

I think it's not entirely accurate to say that jumping into a helo in ArmA3 would replace the need to purchase ToH. What they (would) share is the same flight model - not the same gameplay. Look at the example of MSFS and MSFC. If the only, single thing you cared about was the flight model, then I'd suggest that the helos in ArmA3 would not have the instrumentation or controls that the ToH has.

Anyway :) the poll option to module the FM within ToH and plug it in to ArmA3 is missing :)

Correct, If i'm not mistaken, Bell Helicopters has an autopilot that will do the auto-hover and that tends to correct a few things,

I'm not sure about bell but I would imagine they do. I know that the Apache has a digital stabilization system that allows it to hold itself in one spot, and the Ka-50 has an autopilot that allows the pilot to set a 'hover point'. The helicopter will then reference that spot and stay there. I think a former (or current) ah-64 pilot on these forums talked about the automatic stability and control systems of the blackhawk in a similar autohover argument a while ago in the ArmA 1 forums.

No point in buying TOH if Arma has what TOH has plus a fully featured combat simulator. BTW I could be wrong.

So DCS automatically cancels out FSX because they both simulate flying, but DCS theoretically offers more?

I'm really quite dumbfounded at how you could compare A3 with ToH even if the only thing that they actually have in common which affects the gameplay itself is the Helicopter Flight model. I don't know how many times i've said that ToH has different/IMMENSELY bigger maps than A3's one, that it is completely civil focused to appeal to the simmers who DON'T have a boner for blowing stuff up.

Not everyone who buys ToH buys Arma 3 as well. Is it so hard to believe that such people exist?

And most importantly - you can't blow stuff up in Take On

Yes I can see how not adding Take On's flight model will completely make people who want to fly in Apache and blow tanks up go and buy Take On