Sign in to follow this  
Provac

Armed Assault 3: Keeping it Real

Armed Assault 3

Keeping it Real

If there is one thing that Bohemia Interactive has done right, it's to break away from the norm and make something that they can truly call their own unique military experience. But that does not mean that their efforts are flawless, there are many good/great things to say about their Armed Assault franchise but there is that little something missing every time. This is a short post about my "personal opinions" directed towards the developers rather than the community, although community input to these thoughts would benefit the entirety of the post.

The feelings of freedom

The feeling of freedom in movement and animation, the lack of physics have been amongst the major issues that has not taken this game into the big times. And when I say big times I do not say that they need to be in the big times, or sell out to major publishers. But when you make something, you should at least aim big. Arma3 new features states new better animations and with added physics now. Not much to say beyond "bravo".

Just make sure to make it fluid, responsive and attractive. A trained soldier is a quick, agile and responsive combat machine. This feeling has never been represented well in the armed assault series because of the animation system that has been in place, let's all hope that the animation system they are implementing now will be a significant improvement to the feeling of movement.

Artificial Intelligence

Bohemia Interactive has always prided themselves in their hard work on implementing realistic AI. But in all honesty if you really look at the system, the AI system is so complex that it becomes unrealistic. The AI behaves in ways that does not make sense, having soldiers go prone, crouch, stand every second because of someone shooting on the other side of the map gets relatively unrealistic and annoying. Bohemia should tear down their entire AI platform and rebuild it, make it simpler and more basic and make it more open source to edit and mod for your community to tailor to their own needs. Have a AI that is more responsive and faster, it does not need to reconsider everything around it. It should be constructed with a soldiers brave mentality and getting the job done. Not constantly look for small rocks to prone behind. A soldier is fast moving, shoots you without hesitation or having to do 1000 checks to see if he can shoot.

Many people argue and say that Arma AI is the best out there and nothing can compete, but most of them are mistaking complexity with a strong well made foundation.

In closing so this does not become something out of my head that I eventually don't even understand myself I would of course add that Armed Assault in my mind has always had the potential to be the best of its kind in the whole world beating any top tier arcade/semi realistic warfare shooters out there. It does not need too trade realism to achieve this either, it just needs to be more responsive to its audience.

Good luck Bohemia! I really hope you guys do a homerun with your next release. It looks king so far, and the new features looks really appealing.

This was my 2 cents, my mind is subject to change so don't go and get upset over it. I probably don't even know what the hell I am talking about anyways but felt like posting something as 2012 is a long way away.

A trained soldier is a quick, agile and responsive combat machine. The AI behaves in ways that does not make sense, having soldiers go prone, crouch, stand every second because of someone shooting on the other side of the map gets relatively unrealistic and annoying. It should be constructed with a soldiers brave mentality and getting the job done. Not constantly look for small rocks to prone behind. A soldier is fast moving, shoots you without hesitation or having to do 1000 checks to see if he can shoot.

Nr. 1 Priority of a soldier is not getting the job done, but staying alive.

If that was the case then soldiers would only ever be armed with white flags.

Armed Assault 3?

ArmA 1 was Armed Assault. as in ArmA : Armed Assault.

ArmA2 is not Armed Assault 2 eigther.

ARMA 2 (often incorrectly referred to as Armed Assault 2)

edit the topic to ArmA3 please.

or correct me if i am wrong.

Armed Assault 3?

You are correct, as Arma stands for War in latin.

Armed Assault 3?

And were you in any way confused? I think the topic was clear.

And were you in any way confused? I think the topic was clear.

confused or not. thats was not the point. there is no game named Armed Assault X.

why make a topic with the wrong name. ofcource i understand he refers to ArmA3.

Oh right....

Well, if that was true Gen. Patton wouldn't have said: “The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.â€

This is not a passive thing, and may cause you to die in the attempt.

I trust BIS sees the market direction, understands they have THE sim niche in this arena, and will only allow options to reach into the mainstream market.

(And BTW, your sig - IF you're talking about the U.S.- needs to say 'Liberal redneck blah blah...' Conservatives create businesses and jobs over here, Liberals are the ones crying about losing them... and demanding more pay for less work in the factory.)

confused or not. thats was not the point. there is no game named Armed Assault X.

why make a topic with the wrong name. ofcource i understand he refers to ArmA3.

It just seemed an unnecessary move. Should I correct all your spelling and grammar while I'm here? ;)

Plus they can issue as many press releases as they want, everyone knows it means Armed Assault. If there hadn't been a game called Armed Assault then this game would not have been called Arma 2. Plus it's called ARMA TWO, why is the 2 there if it doesn't refer to ArmA.

But on-topic, improved animations would increase immersion drastically. Hopefully the news physics go some way to making your character feel like he has some weight and momentum.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

And when I say big times I do not say that they need to be in the big times, or sell out to major publishers. But when you make something, you should at least aim big.

This was my 2 cents..

why does everyone say, Bis or arma could be BIG if only they did it right. But only offer 2c for their onions. If bis claimed 2c for every time people offered 2c, i doubt they'd need to make games anymore.

It just seemed an unnecessary move. Should I correct all your spelling and grammar while I'm here?

if you have no better things to do. go ahead ;p

but what so hard about changing the topic to the correct name.

or do you just want to have a discussion with me? you know im righ here. but keep on trolling with me. i dont care. i just want to point out that there is no Armed Assault 3-. its arma3.

, everyone knows it means Armed Assault. If there hadn't been a game called Armed Assault then this game would not have been called Arma 2.

everyone?? hmm. Arma does not mean Armed Assault. Arma : Armed Assault was the European release of Arma(1) the Us version was named Arma : Combat Operations

so maybe i should make a topic about Combat Operation 3

just to confuse and mislead people about the real name. ;)

But on-topic, improved animations would increase immersion drastically. Hopefully the news physics go some way to making your character feel like he has some weight and momentum.

lets cross our fingers. and hope the new rewamped animation system will be good.

The forum category says "ArmA 3 - GENERAL"

The last A is capital letter which indicates that ArmA is an abbreviation for Armed Assault. Same like OFP for Operation Flashpoint

The number one job of a soldier is to stay alive. He is told by his commanders where to go, what the mission is, but in the end, he goes there then struggles only for survival. He completes the mission in an effort to get out of the area so he lives. War is not fought by soldiers, but by commanders. Soldiers are in a struggle for survival.

If that was the case then soldiers would only ever be armed with white flags.
Stying alive IS the top priority, eany other priority is dumbfuck sheepslughter or wannabe heroism. Self and comrade preservation is teached first in boot camp, the rest is hollywood hero bullshit.

Number one job of a soldier is to follow orders :)

Number two job is to stay alive. Hence, soldiers go into danger.

The forum category says "ArmA 3 - GENERAL"

The last A is capital letter which indicates that ArmA is an abbreviation for Armed Assault. Same like OFP for Operation Flashpoint

Mr Španěl begs to differ ;)

It is interesting how much controversy one old Latin word could cause.

Best,

RiE

Number one job of a soldier is to follow orders :)

Not true in every aspect...there are orders you don't have to follow and there may be orders you are not allowedto follow...but too few soldiers read the laws...but everybody should, at least the basic regulations.

Safes you from court martials like Abu Graib incident.

Not true in every aspect...there are orders you don't have to follow and there may be orders you are not allowedto follow...but too few soldiers read the laws...but everybody should, at least the basic regulations.

Safes you from court martials like Abu Graib incident.

I would argue that it's still the number 1 job :)

The way we were indoctrinated is that we must obey an order, but that we can immediately redress the officer.

I would argue that it's still the number 1 job :)

The way we were indoctrinated is that we must obey an order, but that we can immediately redress the officer.

In contrast we werre told what order we don't have to follow and what orders must be disobeyed...this "tradition" in post war german army goes back to 1945 when too many used the excuse "I just followed oders". It was meant to make this excuse not work anymore in future...