Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Interface.

i would prefer the radial menu over the current action_sensitive one any day.

+1 :D

I've played some games where it had a radial menu. It was nice to be able to just hit Q or some key, and move the mouse to the option you want to select. It seemed to make the quick action menu alot more organized as well.

i would prefer the radial menu over the current action_sensitive one any day. The 1-0 commands can stay just as they are now (some reorganising and some additional commands would be more than welcomed though)

+1 Radial Menus could work just as effectively and be easier to use than the current system. No, radial menus does not mean ArmA 3 would be like OFP-DR. It wouldn't lessen the effectiveness of commanding your squad either. You could do a radial menu the same as with the standard menus, bunch of options, one button for "more" if all available actions don't fit on the particular menu. It could work. But, oh well. I do think a radial menu would be good at least for attachments and weapon selection, like these radial menus from AA3 (America's Army 3; Armed Assault 3 is ArmA 3...):

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/7/77/4blademenu.jpg

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/2/2e/8blade.jpg

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/5/57/Commoradial.jpg

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/4/4b/Weaponradial.jpg

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/0/06/Grenradial.jpg

And, if they were like the AA3 menus, the middle yellow button could be a button for more options, like more commands or actions. It could work and still be just as complex as the current system.

Keys, shortcuts and very well made + working context sensitiv menus are always faster than going through colored radial/box menus.

Bigger issue is the useability and the design of an interface so it feels right and not like something put together to have a temp or perm workaround (see ACE2/PR). Guess you can ask 10 interface designers and you will get 10 professional but different answers about what is nice + handy. :)

Keys, shortcuts and very well made + working context sensitiv menus are always faster than going through colored radial/box menus.

Bigger issue is the useability and the design of an interface so it feels right and not like something put together to have a temp or perm workaround (see ACE2/PR). Guess you can ask 10 interface designers and you will get 10 professional but different answers about what is nice + handy. :)

Those PR pictures seem to indicate that keys can still be used to perform actions, that Project Reality system actually looks like the best of both worlds.

Why creating/developing a brandnew interface system into A3 if the old one just needs improvements and polish here and there?

Its only a concentration/multitasking issue that some people have and can't memorize the last key they've pressed. Of course they will deny this and try to find "ideas" + "solutions" to cover their aging. :don 16:

Guess the next idea is that ArmA should be only a turn-based game like chess and MP is only via mail/morse/light signs. Slowmo but with a fancy + colorful interface... :p

And being complacent to assuming that you never forget things isn't going to give you much help either.

Personally i havent enjoyed a single interface that required me to move the mouse to operate it, for me its a hassle, much slower than pressing buttons on a keyboard and i hate having my ability to aim taken away.

If you scratch your nose during gaming, do you use your keyboard or your mousehand?

EDIT: Anyone remembers the radial to change your suit mode in Crysis? What a waste, individual buttons for the modes would have made running up to a guy in speedmode and then punching him in the nose in strength mode so much more intuitive.

Edited by NeMeSiS

The two things are not mutually exclusive.

I've said so before and I'll say so again. The AI in Arma2 is surprisingly potent. Often its apparent lack of intelligence lies in tweaking, poor user interface, and lack of useful feedback. As always I believe that the simple solutions deliver the best performance.

Currently there are three major problem areas.

1. AI acts inconsistently with given orders-- this is often directly affected by a seemingly poor pathfinding ability.

2. AI fails to give consistent and useful feedback-- either in the form of audio, UI elements, or other clues.

3. AI doesn't really differentiate between Stealth and Danger mode in any meaningful manner-- and their differences aren't capitalized.

The Quick-Command interface is a step in the right direction. Yet its got some major teething problems.

1. The context is sometimes too sensitive and results in wildly different effects.

2. Ordering units to attack (leaving the formation) is NEVER useful and should be removed.

3. All the team selection stuff is largely worthless.

Form the Interface side of thing I'd rather have a traditional layout. I'm not particularly sold on radial wheels (particularly those navigated by the mouse). Having said that presenting things in circles isn't fundementally wrong.

Areas of Improvements

#1 by 2020 I expect most soldiers will be carrying a GPS/PDA type hardware. In the fiction lets use it! Let players -- in a drag and drop environment-- sort soldiers into fireteams, tweak formations, and so on in an easy to understand visual user interface. Yes. I absolutely want the ability to Stack two into the F1 slot/button or even to customize formations on the fly.

#2 an easy way to string together waypoints + the ability to define the orientation I want the unit/selection to have. Ghost Recon did this very well.

#3 in first person give me a simple and wholly consistent button driven approach to ordering troops around. One button for the improved 'context sensitive' quick command interface. One button to freeze or unfreeze all soldiers currently following me. And finally One button or key combination that lets me change ROE on the fly.

#4 Introduce more different and robustly functional ROEs that actually offer meaningful differences! Currently Stealth mode isn't stealthy. An Assault mode which forced the AI to stay close and ready would equally be very handy.

-k

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 AM ----------

Interface for inventory.

I've never been a fan of the weapon cycle of Operation Arrowhead. It worked passably well in Operation flashpoint-- but in those days you carried less equipment and all your grenades were organized under the same tab. Check my signature for a closer analysis-- as well as a suggested solution. For Arma3 however I feel that the optimal solution is the tested and true 'numbers select the weapon' that we've come to expect in PC first person shooters.

Let me press 1 for primary. 2 for secondary. Better still let me define the number shortcuts in the inventory screen somehow. (simply mouse over then press 4 to assign a weapon/equipment to button 4 etc) A character could toggle firemode by having the weapon selected then pressing its number. Worked very well in Delta Force.

I would also again like to push for a central 'PDA' interface that handled all personal and squad level administration. Something like the TAB button would do nice. Perhaps the TAB button would let you switch between a few different pages.

1. Navigation: Map, compass, GPS, whatnot

2. Personal Admin: Inventory, define shortcuts, attachments,

3. Squad Admin: For leaders-- organize fireteams, formations, whatnot. For subordinates-- see who is in your squad etc.

4. Room for Scripted/mod additions. An obvious example would be a screen to cover ACRE style radios.

The TAB button would remember which function you last used, and each page would also have its traditional keyboard shortcut.

-k

I have never before bought an item of hardware just to play a computer game.

I am thoroughly enjoying Operation Arrowhead and I bought a Logitech G110 gaming keyboard.

This is a standard keyboard with 12 extra keys down the left side numbered G1 – G12

There are 3 more "menu" keys giving me effectively 36 extra keys.

And each key can be programmed. By the press of one key I can order:

1-7 Halt, 7-2 Danger, 8-2 Diamond, 3-4 Engage

And with another I order:

7-4 Safe, 7-6 Stand up, 3-1 Weapons free, 8-3 Wedge

That’s just two orders. I have programmed another 10 orders in menu 1

In menu 2 I have orders related to communication or administration

Menu 3 is reserved for testing new orders.

-

Interface for inventory.

I've never been a fan of the weapon cycle of Operation Arrowhead. It worked passably well in Operation flashpoint-- but in those days you carried less equipment and all your grenades were organized under the same tab. Check my signature for a closer analysis-- as well as a suggested solution. For Arma3 however I feel that the optimal solution is the tested and true 'numbers select the weapon' that we've come to expect in PC first person shooters.

Let me press 1 for primary. 2 for secondary. Better still let me define the number shortcuts in the inventory screen somehow. (simply mouse over then press 4 to assign a weapon/equipment to button 4 etc) A character could toggle firemode by having the weapon selected then pressing its number. Worked very well in Delta Force.

I have to disagree with this because the last thing I want is to have my weapon selection fix on the number keys, let alone that we already have use for those key. Besides you can already assign other key to switch between primary and secondary, adding another opinion for switch between launcher class and main won't be too much problem.

For Arma3 however I feel that the optimal solution is the tested and true 'numbers select the weapon' that we've come to expect in PC first person shooters.

Let me press 1 for primary. 2 for secondary. Better still let me define the number shortcuts in the inventory screen somehow. (simply mouse over then press 4 to assign a weapon/equipment to button 4 etc)

What? This is actually becomming less common IMO now that less FPS games allow you to carry 50 million different weapons at once. Either way, it doesn't fit in ArmA. And I'm sure there are a lot of people unaware of this, but ArmA 2 already features key controls for switching to secondary & sidearm. IIRC, it basically works like this:

[b]Current:	 Control:	 Switches To:[/b]
Primary	--------to Secondary-->	Secondary
Secondary ------to Secondary-->	Primary
Sidearm	--------to Secondary-->	Secondary
Primary	--------to Sidearm---->	Sidearm
Secondary ------to Sidearm---->	Sidearm
Sidearm	--------to Sidearm---->	Primary

As far as weapon firemodes & muzzle selection, I still think a hierarchical selection method is most appropriate (weapon -> muzzle -> mode).

Edited by Big Dawg KS

So you are saying your much rather prefer the same system that toggles between EVERY piece of equipment you have? And the satchel detonation stuck in the action list?

I mean i have found myself numerous times throwing a smoke grenade in the head of the game instead of a damn frag...Why is weapon switching associated with fire mode is another thing that is hard to grasp.

I am well aware there is a dedicated key for switching between primary and sidearm, but that is not the real issue here.

There should be 1 dedicated key for switching between weapons, and one dedicated key for switching between firemodes...grenade and other explosives should have their own dedicated key...

Edited by PuFu

So you are saying your much rather prefer the same system that toggles between EVERY piece of equipment you have? And the satchel detonation stuck in the action list?

I mean i have found myself numerous times throwing a smoke grenade in the head of the game instead of a damn frag...Why is weapon switching associated with fire mod is another thing that is hard to grasp.

I am well aware there is a dedicated key for switching between primary and sidearm, but that is not the real issue here.

There should be 1 dedicated key for switching between weapons, and one dedicated key for switching between firemodes...grenade and other explosives should have their own dedicated key...

You must have missed my last sentance:

As far as weapon firemodes & muzzle selection, I still think a hierarchical selection method is most appropriate (weapon -> muzzle -> mode).

With each tier having its own selector.

You must have missed my last sentance:

most likely, since i see you edited your post.

Anyways, that doesn't change the fact that having a wide selection of explosives IE~2 smokes (diff colors), 1 frag, 1 satchel, 1 flashbang (or whatever other nade that you want)~ associated with the same key for changing weapons IE~1 rifle, 1 secondary, 1 sidearm~ (as you talk about only firemodes and muzzle selection) is a challenge to work with.

Edited by PuFu

Different grenade types would be different muzzles if they continue using the same method. So you have primary/satchel/throwable -> different grenade types. It wouldn't make sense to have secondary and sidearm included in the cycle since they take time to switch to (and there are already keys & actions for this).

Using a hierarchical selection would allow much more flexibility than just giving each one a different key/number.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

If a new way to control AI is introduced I sincerely hope that BIS will keep that old number system. Its not only because I'm so used to it, but it is very important for all voice-activated programs.

I would also like some settings to turn off stuff I dont want on my UI. I hate the floating console icon since armed assault.

I don't think many people will disagree with that, with a slight change, one key for primary/secondary, one for main to launcher, one for main to general explosives, one for fire mode selection/grenade type switch, sounds logical, as long as the keybroad is not already filled with used key that is(secondary moves like sit down, salute, weapon on back etc could go back to action menu through))

Re. interface:

I’d like the ability to set a series of attack lines/behaviours using the map on the fly, in a much more intuitive way than presently.

Use the right-click function of the mouse to bring up a set of orders while in the map to plot FUPs/target/issue orders etc.

So... I’d have my section standing ready at the start of the mission. I’d access the map, quickly highlight the target (in a way my friendly AI understood), draw up lines of approach with combat stances assigned, give the “Go†order when done, and then let ‘em rip.

I know stuff like this is sort of possible in the map (creating waypoints on the fly), but I’d love to see much more use of the right mouse button in assigning stance/engagement/reaction levels while in the map.

more realistic map grid system, 8-digit with letter identifier for the section of the map (many maps are separated into two section, both with letter designations ) i.e. AB12345678 for example. Also, I'd like map reading to play a much larger role in gameplay. Have contour lines show up all ways and in black or red. Let them stand out.

I don't think 8 digits or letter identifier is really needed. 8 digits would make gridlines appear too crowded, and now that grid direction is handled correctly (unlike Chernarus/Utes), interpolating to 8 digits are very easy and accurate. No maps exceeds 00-99 although a common "mistake" (or convenience) is using 00 at grid origin causing a crossover at the origin - but this can be fixed by offsetting the island coordinates, as done in the vanilla JCove Lite (VBS) maps. An offset of (-) 10 should be enough to cause 10 to be at the origin and not be able to see any crossover grid. I have made an artillery system where you type in coordinates (6 or 8 digits supported; target grid or observer grid if polar mode), but I have never felt the need for a map to support them.

Map reading in gameplay - that's up to the mission maker. I tend to do it for myself (no GPS or fake simplified GPS with grid readout only, depending on unit class), but I think it would be a bit too elitist to have in a vanilla campaign. You want to attract new players to the game, not scare them away before they "get into it". Certain special missions where it makes perfect sense (like the OFP escape mission, navigate by stars) may be ok though.

Contour lines always show up for me (afaik). What I don't get to know is their elevation, which was shown in Arma1. Height indicators otoh, can get extremely hard to read sometimes, so yeah, standing out makes sense.

Height indicators otoh, can get extremely hard to read sometimes, so yeah, standing out makes sense.

... and with that, might be nice to have a configurable colour scheme. So people who have a colour blindness or weakness (which is fairly common) can set up the editor/map to how they like.

Speaking of map, anyone feel that Map with terrian texture annoying? At least I am, never feel that useful in combat.

I think they need to merge certain actions into one key or command, as that would simplify actions under any kind of menu inherently. Half the functions under the command menu dont actually work (when commanding ai) and could either be cut or merged with something else, simplified and reworked. My gripes are as much with the command key structure/controls as with the actual interface and menus, though. As for the HUD, I've always found minimalistic HUD's more sexy, even non-existent ones.

Also, there is a long delay when you move things between a crate or backpack and your inventory, and it would be possible to shave seconds off by eliminating that delay. Having to wait .5 seconds for any transactions makes it harder to guage wether you really double clicked on said item. I don't want to waste any time pulling an RPG out of my backpack when staring down the barrel of a tank.

when in fact you accidentally pushed "pistol".. oh damn, thats no good, and i never posted that letter to mummy dearest.