Sign in to follow this  
echo_2-7

Underwater Warfare?

After seeing a screenshot of a combat frogman, will we finally swim underwater without dieing? Perhaps there would be some missions where as an EOD diver you have to disarm or detonate sea mines, as well as underwater insertion as a SF Diver. Maybe modders can create real-world frogmen like the Navy Seals.

http://www.bistudio.com/images/stories/arma3/screenshots/scr02.jpg

Edited by Echo_2-7

will we finally swim underwater without dieing?

That, at least, is a question we can answer with a definitive "YES!" at this point.

what about breathing??? if you run out of O2 would you be able to die?

Well, it will be ARMA! So, it is possible but it would be hardcore for gameplay :D

Nothing else would make sense.

It wouldn't be too hard to script, so I don't see why they wouldn't implement something like that.

If you go in without scuba gear you will be dying if you're out of air, it would not be realistic if you're not dying anyway. But then again it might be possible that you can not enter diving when you're not wherrying any scuba gear at this point we don't know nothing about the game mechanics regarding this future ...

If you go in without scuba gear you will be dying if you're out of air, it would not be realistic if you're not dying anyway. But then again it might be possible that you can not enter diving when you're not wherrying any scuba gear at this point we don't know nothing about the game mechanics regarding this future ...

Implementing a limited natural air supply without scuba gear should be dead easy. Even Minecraft has that. :D

Implementing a limited natural air supply without scuba gear should be dead easy. Even Minecraft has that. :D

Even Sonic the Hedgehog has that.

I'd say destroyers and even carriers would be possible. There's a balance to such things - Carrier Strike Group, what CSG? :D

zaWSjxTZFMs

There's an epic vid somewhere, showing ArmA 2 frigate action w/ flag cannon vs aircraft, and island bombardment - can't seem to find it. :( These ships don't have to carry ICBMs, or Tomahawks to be in the game, just like the Tunguska doesn't represent the RL version. (Shock!)

US Navy Seals use things like this anyway:

http://www.rebreather-azimuth.com/rebreather-engl.html

rebreathers (almost) never run out of air since the seperate the oxygen from the carbon-dioxide that you exhale, they don't create bubble like scuba gear so they are quieter and MUCH stealthier, and they are a little lighter since they don't have the giant tanks.

This would be the solution to all of the above questions, and it is the solution in use by the military in present day!

Edited by tsb247
More content

There are definitely bubbles in the screenshot, meaning the diver is not using military equipment.

There are definitely bubbles in the screenshot, meaning the diver is not using military equipment.

The fact that the diver is not wearing GIANT tanks on his back and has a small pack on his front indicates a rebreather like the one I posted a link to.

http://www.arma3.com/#screenshots

Rebreather do let out some bubbles, but not nearly to the extent of a standard SCUBA system. They are supposed to be a closed-loop that recycles the diver's oxygen for, "Rebreathing."

Either BI doesn't fully understand how rebreathers work, the bubbles came from somewhere else, or this guy has the smallest lungs on the planet.

The fact that the diver is not wearing GIANT tanks on his back and has a small pack on his front indicates a rebreather like the one I posted a link to.

http://www.arma3.com/#screenshots

Rebreather do let out some bubbles, but not nearly to the extent of a standard SCUBA system. They are supposed to be a closed-loop that recycles the diver's oxygen for, "Rebreathing."

Either BI doesn't fully understand how rebreathers work, the bubbles came from somewhere else, or this guy has the smallest lungs on the planet.

Or maybe a trapped air pocked on the suit somewhere being released or even the release of trapped wind perhaps. :P

Or maybe a trapped air pocked on the suit somewhere being released or even the release of trapped wind perhaps. :P

You gotta let one rip, when you gotta let one rip. :D

Even with a rebreather, you're not going to get out of the other dangers of diving - nitrogen narcosis, oxygen toxicity, DCS, the squeeze....

not to mention box jellyfish and fire coral :P

Would that be some sort of a emergancy Oxygen discharger? Im not sure it really exsist in the form of a small tube i tried to find some info on that but when i try to find some info i only can see info about regular scuba gear thats i commenly known by people.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Ok is this thread going the nasty smelly way? :D

I just hope there is coastline (seen) and wide rand deep rivers/fjords so we can use it tactically. And that we can push at least the small boats back into the water. And last but absolutely not least; rivers may also have bridges - that AI can actually use :p

Also hope you don't loose your gear while in scuba (would be kinda silly :D), only if you don't have scuba, and that the scuba gear is gear you can pick up and equip yourself with during playtime. Also goes for a SAW gunners vest, so you can fit 200 round belts on the body, whereas others have to use backpacks.

I'm assuming so, but this isn't actually fully implemented into VBS2 yet. It's only in beta stages currently.

New underwater rendering is at Beta ƒ

Due in VBS2 v2.00, March 2012

I'm sure the rebreather will look exactly like this:

wty7ir.jpg

Edited by Nicholas

I'm assuming so, but this isn't actually fully implemented into VBS2 yet. It's only in beta stages currently.

I'm sure the rebreather will look exactly like this:

http://i56.tinypic.com/wty7ir.jpg

I was under the impression, that commercial development was at the forefront of innovation, VBS2 still looks like Armed Assault 1. :X

And yea, the blood effect in underwater must be careful also, without flow blood is sinking (or floating when in sea) instead of spreading, so the hollywood-style blood-mist should be avoid.

VBS2 still looks like Armed Assault 1. :X

Think you need to check a few more web sites. I have the 67 page VBS2 presentation for GameTech in Macrh, the features are MIND BLOWING.

As for looks, as has been said many times, the VBS series is not about the extra special graphics that ArmA has had, its military training software so it doesn't need glowing cows.

Anyhow, VBS discussion belongs in the VBS thread.

Edit:

This is the VBS2 beta Underwater Rendering changes. I guess we can expect similar for ArmA3

VB2_1.jpg

VB2_2.jpg

VB2_3.jpg

VB2_4.jpg

Edited by [APS]Gnat