guiltyspark

Ragdolls = In .... Realistic wounds ???

Who here wants accurate depiction of battlefeild violence  

695 members have voted

1. 1. Who here wants accurate depiction of battlefeild violence

• I want to full gore
    • i want to see it toned down a bit , but i want dismemberment
    • i dont want realistic wounds

Regarding the ragdoll physics, when ArmA 2 first came out around two years ago this month, some of the death animations in the early videos appeared to be ragdoll physics, when they were in fact just plain ol' death animations. ;)

Just some thoughts from a practical perspective. Aren't new game mechanics like dismemberment going to mean a pretty radical change to both the wounding and first aid systems? Magical, patch-you-back-up-to-100% healing will now make absolutely no sense whatsoever (as if it does now) when your character is missing, say, his left arm, no? Or, what do you do when a squadmate loses a leg? Call and wait for a medevac? Not that these things couldn't be done or wouldn't be interesting to play out, but the point is that when discussing the possibility of adding things like dismemberment, we should be cosidering it is much more than a graphical feature.

can you add a " either,or -im just happy they have ragdolls now" option lol

Regarding the ragdoll physics, when ArmA 2 first came out around two years ago this month, some of the death animations in the early videos appeared to be ragdoll physics, when they were in fact just plain ol' death animations. ;)

Yep, I'm not convinced it's ragdoll till da BoSSmAn says so.

I remember solus added a "hit" animation in which the soldier would get knocked to his a$$ sitting stunned -looked somewhat ragdolly as well.

I look foward to getting info on the revamped animations!

First; a picture of a concept art screenshot aint enough to say that anything in that pic is "confirmed". Yes the guy on the ground looks alot like he is a ragdoll; which was my first though too.. that they would use it in the game. But come on; that aint enough for something to be confirmed. Its over 1 year of possible release; so start confirming functions based on the concept art = really ? :)

Regarding the blood, the gore, the dismemberment etc.. is that what makes ARMA the game it is today with its previous releases ? and/or is it what you really think the game is lacking primary today ?

Dont think that the general ARMA-fan sleeps restless as the ARMAseries dont have a exploding body system as you shot someone with a 50cal in the head.. I know I have never had the idea of "Im so sad that the limbs arent flying from my grenadeexplosion, why oh why BIS didnt you make the game so I would see more gore" :)

But I do think a better hitbox, a better bodysystem for death and maybe a better bloodsystem that can be turned on or off; thats something to look into. Ive always disliked the ragdoll-system as the bodies as mentioned have looked like crap.. there are legs that twist around its own rotation, arms folding around in circles etc.. As someone mentioned too; its a codething to make ragdolls alot more heavy, thats maybe a option, I dont know.. but alot of games using a ragdoll system ends up with crap.

I hope that ARMA3 has some new bodysystem or deathsystem. Aswell as a better "medic" function.. There are alot of need for a system to patch you up. ACE have one, Norrn have one R3F is another, so the need is there for a good solution regarding bandages and draging etc.

To the topic in hand; I want a better system :)

And whatever they do; dont rush it; just work on it and make it BIS-own instead of just droping ragdoll system in and thats it.

its not concept art , its an in engine screenshot , meaning that ragdolls are in the engine

its not an argument , at this point in time ragdolls are in the game

what if it's a new death animation.

its not concept art , its an in engine screenshot , meaning that ragdolls are in the engine

its not an argument , at this point in time ragdolls are in the game

Until you can show people an animation and not a one frame screenshot which actually shows nothing but a static body you're just making yourself look really really dumb. It seems that you're determined to follow this course however so let's assume they have in fact implemented ragdoll failphysics, how do you think they will have overcome the issue of having to synchronise said ragdolls across the 100 or more clients that could be connected to a server?

Yes they are... it is startin to look like the discusion on the "ball smashing wall" ARG event. It is Berlin wall, it is a story plot clue, no it is obviously a standard physics demo video made ascii, it is a hint we'll have new physics, no, yes, no yes, no yes.... FPDR

at this point in time ragdolls are in the game

Since it hasn't been officially confirmed it may still be experimental, or it might even be a tease. I recall a video that BIS made of ArmA 2 before its release that had a train passing by in the background, and everyone was all excited thinking that drivable trains were in, but it turned out to be scripted. That's why you shouldn't jump to hasty conclusions.

Whats so hard about staying on topic?

Let's hope a more realistic and indetail wounding system with PhysX and new features added. To see your opponent drop like a sack of bricks would be much more satisfying.

Dismemberment, blood and gore. Who cares? As long as it works properly.

It's about time they made ammunition do the damage not the weaponary, that will change the game and bump it towards realism. Weaponary can still account for it's external factors like velocity, reliability and stability. The damage system should be different when comparing to vehicular material, construction material and soft tissue.

If BIS give you the basics then the community and modders can expand on that.

Personally, I'd like it to be kind of realistic in terms of gore, although it could be scalable in the options menu.

Nothing wrong with ragdoll if its done correctly, just as long as a grenade does not send you flying over the other side of the island.. H&D2 is the best implementation I have ever seen, bodies have rigidity and mass and make a satisfying thud when they hit the ground...

As for gore... bring it on, I want gore and for my reasons... suppose I'm just disturbed muhahaha :D , instead of just casually fighting with friends in a coop and one of them dies you turn around and say oh well.. I want to turn around and go 'oooo nasty'

And you could take cover behind that corpse afterwards or what?

Personally, I'd like it to be kind of realistic in terms of gore, although it could be scalable in the options menu.

This. ^ Similar to the blood meter present in RV2.

Mainly soft tissue, you don't stand much of a chance unless the projectile comes off on an awkward angle, hits bone, luck, takes a weird path or tumbles. Projectiles will go through-and-through and hit you anyway.

The only problem with those videos is the fact that the leg doesn't come off it just vanishes after some blood splatter... and the fact that every single shot can do that. There should be some randomness. Your limb isn't going to come off all the time, shot placement and tearing the ligament may cause it.

OFP had it

Please... I beg you. Do NOT call that OFP.

Since it hasn't been officially confirmed it may still be experimental, or it might even be a tease. I recall a video that BIS made of ArmA 2 before its release that had a train passing by in the background, and everyone was all excited thinking that drivable trains were in, but it turned out to be scripted. That's why you shouldn't jump to hasty conclusions.

No this is more fun, now we can all bash our heads against the wall when it turns out its not in and people start yelling "BIS LIEEEEEEEEEEEES!" again.

I voted the "I want full gore" because i am not against it, and there was no "I just dont care either way" option.

Edited by NeMeSiS

I don't want gore aka Hollywood effects I just want realistic wounds & first aid.

even if it's only leg damage = fix leg or chest dammage = fix chest medics should have

to check the body over at least, maybe basic obs.

It does kinda break the immersion when you drop a bomb and a group of enemies fall over like they were shot instead of blown up...and are still falling over after the dust settles from the explosion.

Please... I beg you. Do NOT call that OFP.

Well, it said Operation Flashpoint on the box soooo....yeah

Well, it said Operation Flashpoint on the box soooo....yeah

It says Operation Flashpoint:Dragon Rising