Ragdolls = In .... Realistic wounds ???

Who here wants accurate depiction of battlefeild violence  

695 members have voted

1. 1. Who here wants accurate depiction of battlefeild violence

• I want to full gore
    • i want to see it toned down a bit , but i want dismemberment
    • i dont want realistic wounds

Well, it said Operation Flashpoint on the box soooo....yeah

The cover also said it was going to put you in the "brutal reality of modern combat"... :rolleyes:

It says Operation Flashpoint:Dragon Rising

Allow me to quote the almighty developers:

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion but, c'mon, mate - if you're going to start swearing, at least have the courtesy to censor yourself.

Children are reading this forum and they don't need to hear about Q****s G****t this and D****n R****g that!

Children grow up too fast these days anyway..

RoyaltyinExile said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about Operation Flashpoint than you do pal. :D

Allow me to quote the almighty developers:

RoyaltyinExile said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about Operation Flashpoint than you do pal. :D

What on earth are you on about? What did you forget to take this time, pal?

What on earth are you on about? What did you forget to take this time, pal?

That was a quote from Meet the Soldier. Surprised you don't know it. It's like the most advanced hat-sim of the generation.

ragdolls are confirmed , so now when a jdam is dropped on a guy he wont just fall over in a pre scripted animation

It does beg the question what will happen if they do take a direct hit from a jdam, hell even if its 20-30m the shockwave will still tear them to piece's.

Well, it said Operation Flashpoint on the box soooo....yeah

If i write "caviar" on a box full of shit, it'll remain shit.

That was a quote from Meet the Soldier. Surprised you don't know it. It's like the most advanced hat-sim of the generation.

Nah, I don't like the artistic way of the hat simulator so I don't really follow what's going on their coulture.

LOL your right :D, but how am I supposed to call it then? Operation shitpoint XD. But I feel like where drifting from the discussion. In my opinion it shouldn't be too hard to implement some sort of limb dismemberment models for soldiers. And I don't see a reason why it should effect the game that much.

I have seen that end animation in another game, that used ragdoll, I think it was one of the newer Ghost Recon games. That game had rather good ragdoll effects. But no dismemberment. It could be either way, really. I do not need the full gore package. I guess there are far more important things for me in ARMA3. I would like to see better building destruction.

gore is is good, in mp game, some nooby player can distract seeing dead gory corposes like in real life and die for that.about arma 3 system gore, i wish be better than slx mod, with real dismeberts limbs and burned corposes and with flies on deads.I play SP arma 2 co with ace + slx + rh weap + zeusace + mma + flies + othrs replaces and maps

LOL your right :D, but how am I supposed to call it then? Operation shitpoint XD. But I feel like where drifting from the discussion. In my opinion it shouldn't be too hard to implement some sort of limb dismemberment models for soldiers. And I don't see a reason why it should effect the game that much.

Dragon Rising... or FPDR works. FPDR is F P D R with no spaces in between on this forum.

Ragdoll will more than likely be in A3. I have no idea why some of the Arma community is so resistant to change and improvement.

Ya, 'cause when I shoot someone I want their body to stick through the wall with the lame Arma 2 animations.

Ragdoll will more than likely be in A3. I have no idea why some of the Arma community is so resistant to change and improvement.

Ya, 'cause when I shoot someone I want their body to stick through the wall with the lame Arma 2 animations.

You probably don't understand the situation if you don't understand the arguments against, regardless of whether or not you agree. I don't think anyone is against well implemented anything, least of all ragdoll animations. Your rhetoric laden false generalization that the community is against improvement is quite telling of your attitude towards the opinions of other people, so I guess we can acknowledge why you 'have no idea'.

Edited by Max Power

Quote. Of. The. Year. (QOTY)

Ok, so DR had gore...what else did it have going for it? Anything at all?

How about something like they have in Left 4 Dead, dunno just throwing it out there as a suggestion:

Maybe it is a bit too gory for war simulation but the dismemberment is pretty realistic if you ask me.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

Ok, so DR had gore...what else did it have going for it? Anything at all?

Well this is a thread about wether or not Arma 3 should implement somthing like that. And I thought Operation flas...uhhm...shitpoint had it almost nailed.

What really bothers me about our western society is the gore fetish.

Really,all you need is for the avatar to fall down (meaning you scored a hit) , not to see limbs,blood , internal organs etc. lying all over the place.

If your thinking "immersion" ,how about leaving a couple of pounds of hamburger and a quart of milk in the hot sun for a few days then spread it all over your desk. Then you'll have a MUCH better idea of what a battlefield is like. Believe me , blood and bodies do NOT smell like Old Spice.

Scary that so many are fixated with excessive violence.

Guess it's true that the internet is a snap shot of what society would be like without any guidance or authority.

very true, one of the best post i've seen in a while

Indeed, just because CM pooled their resources into that arena doesn't mean that its either realistic nor good in general.

I mean sure a 50.cal does that and its fine for that to be simulated, but consider the other blood effects in DR, especially blood splatter which is borderline ridiculous.

What really bothers me about our western society is the gore fetish.

Scary that so many are fixated with excessive violence.

Yes... I have to agree with this! A friend of mine would spend hours "educating" himself with REAL gore stuff, he would try to share with me his findings and no matter how repulsed and pointless that was to me, he always found it "funny".

Guess it's true that the internet is a snap shot of what society would be like without any guidance or authority.

Not so much, at best internet is a reflection of what is actually society imposed values/ education. These ultimately are exacerbated by the anonimity factor. Indeed there's a growing mutual influence between those. Internet is as much a product as is a factor in what society is becoming.

On a personal note, and perhaps against the above experience, as an avid L4D player, depictions therein don't shock me at all. I am not sure if it is only because they're zombies and not humans (player characters don't get the same visual treatment when injured) being depicted in gorish ways, but if also in light of the Uncanny Valey hipothesis, curiosly "zombie" is part of that hipothesis as the apex of the unfamiliarity with human resemblance.

Mori_Uncanny_Valley.svg

I must be too aware (less immersed) that L4D is infact a game for my own response to be that of rejection.

Might just happen the inverse with those which have the fetish you mention. Bordering some kind of psicopathy maybe.

Edited by gammadust

I know it has been brought before but what you guys think about RO level of gore?

I am not into "Yeah! BLOOD! LIMBS! PAIN!" but it adds a somekind of immersion level. I mean, when you get somewhere and found something like this:

redorchestra20110528020.th.jpg

..you know that something big happened there and you should be aware for the big guns.

Even thought i don´t think the dismemberment is really necessary, look at those blood stains in the ground, clothes, trails (when someone is wounded they actually "leak") and even in weapons... They look nice and are realistic, something like that just add to the game.

PS: Playing June Beach with 50 players, getting supress and then look back and see this

redorchestra20110528010.th.jpg

generates one of those non-scripted "Wow..... now Im f***ed" moments. ( even thought you can see only 1 body in the pic, there was 5 guys there, 3 when up in the air, one vanished in a red mist and dunno about the other one).

This is the Darkest Hour mod, pretty nice!

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Smurf

Dx11 seems to be the ultimate tool to make realistic wounds using Multiple layers of tessellation and displacement maps:

It would allow for dynamic reaction to bullets, blast, and all other stuff at the precise place of the impact.

Edited by 50.cal

Indeed, just because CM pooled their resources into that arena doesn't mean that its either realistic nor good in general.

I mean sure a 50.cal does that and its fine for that to be simulated, but consider the other blood effects in DR, especially blood splatter which is borderline ridiculous.

All of this violence is cartoons. Someone's head popping in a computer game lacks the impact of a single frame of General Nguyá»…n Ngá»c Loan shooting Nguyá»…n Văn Lém in the temple with his service pistol.

I've seen some pictures depicting .50 cal hits to the head. While you can never be sure of the reliability of the source, suffice it to say that they don't just cease to exist- especially when inside a helmet. So really, you're not getting anywhere nearer to reality by having the head turn into gibs. You're replacing a passive simplification of reality with an active simplification of reality. At least only the latter insults your intelligence if the aim is simulation.

Well, obviously shooting off limbs with a sidearm from 500 meters away is far from realistic, what is even more far from realistic is the fact that when a Mark 82 bomb detonates less than a meter away from some poor bloke and having him fly hundreds of meters into the air in a stiff pose, all whilst being in one piece.

It's sad to see most people just want excessive gore instead of better damage effects.

Just give us something realistic and it will be enough; no need to have BIS spend extra time and resources just to please people with a gore fetish.