Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

Improved BRDM2 units

Here's the real deal - I love how that guy is just standing there, like he's saying "check out my ride" :)

afghan1_001.jpg

hcpookie tnx for the fixes. How is this S8 operated? Can it be used with sights?

Good stuff here man, thanks for your work.

Updated release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

Thanks Foxhound! :)

hcpookie tnx for the fixes. How is this S8 operated? Can it be used with sights?

Yes, it operates like any main gun. Making it a "normal" main gun was the only practical way to make it work with AI, otherwise the AI would never have been able to fire it without driving the vehicle to line up the gun. Powerful too - it definitely helps out the insurgents! :D

Hcpookie, thanks for a superb job. I'm really happy with the C2 variant with observation mast and camo net, and even more with the crew-served AT-5 and AT-3 (these deserve a bit more attention or even a separate release). Great job on the documentation of the add-on as well!

_a2_at3_csw.jpg _a2_at5_csw.jpg

I've done some digging in the configurations, and worked out enough to instruct the AI to set-up and use crew served weapons in missions generated by PlannedAssault. I also added entries for the BRDM2s (Russian and Takistan units) to the mission generator's unit database.

Looking forward to more of your work.

Here's the real deal - I love how that guy is just standing there, like he's saying "check out my ride" :)

[img ]https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pdZirCdgqCg_JL_UGilWcV1Waenf_Xkny0AIhB2yRRWrW4LjbAhmhADBz7HyXTsT1oDqCHnlmpi0/afghan1_001.jpg[/img]

good job i like this a lot these rockets are noise scare tactic to scare hell out of opponents as a suprise is not very accurate it was used a lot in bosnian war old rocket pad from mi8 and mig21 and with good results:)

Edited by Foxhound
Do not quote images!!

Hcpookie, thanks for a superb job. I'm really happy with the C2 variant with observation mast and camo net, and even more with the crew-served AT-5 and AT-3 (these deserve a bit more attention or even a separate release). Great job on the documentation of the add-on as well!

-

I've done some digging in the configurations, and worked out enough to instruct the AI to set-up and use crew served weapons in missions generated by PlannedAssault. I also added entries for the BRDM2s (Russian and Takistan units) to the mission generator's unit database.

Looking forward to more of your work.

Thanks for the feedback! I will look into what it would take to place those AT units into a standalone mod. I am looking into adding an AT-4 launcher as well. The differences between AT-4 and AT-5 are slim, but it can't hurt to have more variety :)

I have identified a few small issues that weren't show-stoppers but very annoying. I have added these fixes and improvements into a new build, v1.2. This build will soon be released. This should be the "final" version unless something else is discovered... however after testing v1.1 this was all we could find. So it *should* be the last version!

Here's a list of items to be released. If everything goes according to plan, it should be this weekend:

-------------------

NEW: Main turrets have OA-style zero ability!

NEW: Fuel capacity for 2M and 2M-AGS models extended by 25% as per real-life model.

NEW: Improved default 3D model for co-axial PKT on turret versions.

FIX: TOW Launcher AI targeting issue.

FIX: Corrected issues with TOW Vehicle Model (turret).

FIX: Smoke launchers not working on some models.

FIX: Corrected commander periscope vertical angles (from 0 to -5).

FIX: Corrected Dual-PKT tracer count.

FIX: Recoil animation missing from Dual-PKT guns.

CDF will soon obtain the ASRAD short-range air defense system. A German design, the export model is armed with Stinger missiles. Advanced targeting system means enhanced acquisition and engagement times.

asrad.jpg

wow - just caught up on this thread - this is truly amazing.

Coming soon to Evolution methinks

great work hcpookie!

CDF will soon obtain the ASRAD short-range air defense system. A German design, the export model is armed with Stinger missiles. Advanced targeting system means enhanced acquisition and engagement times.

This ASRAD is perfect for my Nogovan Armed Forces, will you include photoshop templates for this? :)

Holy cow why have I never noticed this mode before?! Looks awesome will download tonight

Please wait to download - I'm uploading v1.2 either tonight or tomorrow morning :)

@R0adki11 - I don't have photoshop templates; I've been using the default graphics files. I think a template would be awesome but I don't even know where to start for something like that. I tried mucking around with the files in Gimp but it didn't really work that well.

@eggbeast - glad you like them! I have added a ton of GROUPS to v1.2 which I should work well with ACM spawns. :)

Here's the complete v1.2 changelog:

=============================

NEW: Main turrets have OA-style zero ability!

NEW: Groups! Groups for every faction, suitable for spawn via ACM. Complete list at bottom of readme.

NEW: ASRAD Air Defense model using Stinger missiles.

NEW: 9K111 Fagot (aka "Bassoon") AT4 ATGM static launcher and 9M111 ammo.

NEW: 9P133 / 9M14-P (aka "AT-3c" / "Malyutka-P") ATGM launch vehicle and static launcher.

NEW: Fuel capacity for 2M and 2M-AGS models extended by 25% as per real-life model.

NEW: Improved 3D model for co-axial PKT.

NEW: AT5 launcher can now use 9K111 AT4 missiles as per real-life model.

FIX: TOW Launcher AI targeting issue.

FIX: Corrected model issues for Baseline, TOW, BRDM-2M, and BRDM-2M-AGS versions.

FIX: Smoke launchers were not working on some models.

FIX: Corrected commander periscope vertical angles (from 0 to -5).

FIX: Corrected Dual-PKT tracer count.

FIX: Recoil animation missing from Dual-PKT guns.

Edited by hcpookie

I just uploaded v 1.2 *and* MLODs. :) Please see first post!

Has anyone created a replacement pack for this? So that all every mission in the vanilla OA which has a BDRM2 benefits from these improved versions?

Love it hcpookie. Any plans for the Polish BRDM-2M-97 Zbik-B or an up armored with V shaped hull?

Thanks Foxhound for the mirror! Much appreciated :)

@ domokun - That is something I haven't looked into. I would like to find out if this can be done.

@ suhsjake - The Polish mod team is developing those versions with models that are far and above anything I have used.

I don't have plans at this time to add any more versions. I have found some pics of a version that appears to have SPG9 tubes mounted on top. I may consider adding that version if I can find some more information about it. Perhaps a version using the DSHK as well for the insurgents.

I am researching what it will take to make an ACE-compatible version. I have not found a "how-to" guide for addon conversions to ACE. However I am researching this and hopefully I can figure out the necessary changes.

Edited by hcpookie

Brilliant work....the BRDM-2 & its relatives are quickly becoming my favourite vehicles in this game...

Cheers,

Dreadnought1

Well hcpookie the ACE version would be a very important change for me too. I am using ACE and TGW Vehicle Fixes, and those mods make your BRDMS unusable. You have to change something about all the 9P... ATGM vehicles. In ACE all of these rockets are uncontrollable. Plus player cannot see the gunsights in any BRDMs.

I'm looking into making some new camo but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do it with Gimp. Graphics editing isn't my strong point.

The main problem with the ACE conversion breaking my vehicles is - apparently - that it replaces all of the default BIS weapons/magazines/ammo types, so the inheritance needs to be completely altered. So, looking through the ACE classes, I think I can redo the entire inheritance thingy to make my stuff inherit directly from the ACE classes. That *should* fix 90% of the ATGM issues, as well as the missing reload animations. The problem is that it isn't as clearly defined in the configs... so I have to discover things as I go. I can't really say if I can get it to work properly or not. One thing I discovered is that ACE has a static AT-5 launcher which is much more detailed than mine. Fun stuff!

It takes time because I have to discover the classes, edit the config, recompile, test, and repeat as necessary. I'm doing this when Real Life lets me, so no promises at all for an ACE version... :)

When you talk about ATGM reload animations, do you mean the launcher turrets down/up lifting ?

When you talk about ATGM reload animations, do you mean the launcher turrets down/up lifting ?

Yes, the reload animations for the ATGM are not present. The real vehicles' launch platform can raise/lower into the vehicle, and I believe they only raise the platform for firing. After firing, they lower the rail platform, reload the rails with new missiles, then raise the platform again.

Here is a video on Youtube of the 9P148 AT5 launcher being raised up which shows what I am trying to describe:

On my model, the only thing I animated was the door raising/lowering during magazine reload because there does not seem to be a good way to make the turret return to the zero (front-facing) position. There are a few threads on others making attempts, but nothing that really works well.

For the AT3/AT2 models, there is no reload animation at all.