Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

Improved BRDM2 units

Hi hcpookie,

i am in trouble with some of the launcher features. The static launchers are not working fine, and i do not really know how to use them with the backpacks.

The most issue is the Malyutka (the "P" too !) and the Konkurs - both have controlling problem. As i already wrote, the Malyutka launcher's sight turns down into the right corner of the screen. The Konkurs rocket is uncontrollable, its flying down into the ground in 2 seconds after the launch.

The Fagot is perfect !

The other trouble is that i do not know how to use the backpacks for the launchers. Can i reload the launchers from the backpacks ? If yes how does it look like ? What should i take in my gear for that ?

As i am not using ACE mod anymore, it cannot cause conflicts more times. So our trouble hides somewhere else...

Edited by Vilman

Vilman,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Those are inherited direclty from default BIS AT5 with minor tweaks that alter the armor penetration values and the init speeds to change their flight behavior. They should therefore not have any problems you would not see with BIS AT guided missiles. Try on a flat runway area. They can crash into a hill or tree that is directly in front of you but you will see that not be a problem if you test on the flat runway.

Backpacks are the same as the BIS backpacks. For now. They require the tripod+launcher backpacks to assemble. They disassemble into the same. You can only carry 1 backpack at a time, so you must either load both packs into a trunk/cargo vehicle and drive them to the spot, have both available to you by having the one in your inventory and the other one on the ground, then the action item "Assemble Launcher" should then be available. Same as any other OA/CO static gun emplacement. If you place any of the static OA/CO guns on the map, the "Disassemble" action will be available. Same exact thing for these launchers because they are direclty inherited from the BIS backpacks.

When I say "for now" I am considering making the Malyutka and AT4 backpacks a 1-person operation. IMO, the MP use of backpack items is limited because of the overwhelming need for extra rockets, bullets, etc. Therefore a 1-person launcher backpack would promote more use of the AT launchers, and the trade-off would be greater firepower which becomes a question of balance in the missions. I may try to level that off by limiting the number of AT missiles in the launcher's magazine. The point is that if you have a Metis or Javelin soldier with you in MP missions, you really need nothing else for AT work. Heck, we don't even use anything other than Javelin or SMAW rockets for our MP AT guys! I would prefer to see the Javelin and Metis AT soldiers able to carry only 1-2 rockets at the maximum. That would, IMO, balance the overwhelming firepower of these weapons in an MP scenario. But I digress...

To answer your question about reloads, it will be identical to any other static gun emplacement. You will need to have a supply truck pre-loaded with the proper magazines, and drive the supply truck to it. Or move the static launcher close to the supply truck. Either way, yes you can reload them if the ammo truck/ammo crate/whatever carries the proper magazines.

Thanx for the statisfying answers hcpookie !

Meanwhile, i discovered a very strange situation : The Malyutka turns NOT always to the corner. So there have to be something that infuences the situation of the launcher.

Im on to figure that out ! :)

When I say "for now" I am considering making the Malyutka and AT4 backpacks a 1-person operation. IMO, the MP use of backpack items is limited because of the overwhelming need for extra rockets, bullets, etc. Therefore a 1-person launcher backpack would promote more use of the AT launchers, and the trade-off would be greater firepower which becomes a question of balance in the missions. I may try to level that off by limiting the number of AT missiles in the launcher's magazine. The point is that if you have a Metis or Javelin soldier with you in MP missions, you really need nothing else for AT work. Heck, we don't even use anything other than Javelin or SMAW rockets for our MP AT guys! I would prefer to see the Javelin and Metis AT soldiers able to carry only 1-2 rockets at the maximum. That would, IMO, balance the overwhelming firepower of these weapons in an MP scenario. But I digress...

I'd support this. The actual AT-3 launch system was a 3-man team; one guy carried the sight and control equipment, and the other two each carried two missiles. The case the missiles came in doubled as the launch base. The other two guys would also carry an RPG-7 with a couple rounds, since the AT-3 had a rather large minimum engagement range.

Oh, on the topic of the Malyutka, I managed to fix the cursor drift in the version the Iran mod uses. I could send that one to you if you'd like.

Thanks Xeno, I'd be happy to have a look at that!

About the launchers - I am also considering separating the static launchers to be a standalone mod. I checked the configs and I believe the only reason they depend on the BRDM2IMP is for the groups. I need to double-check on this to be certain. The idea was, as you point out, the Real Life AT teams were usually a combination of RPG + static launchers. I added quite a few groups per faction to provide mission makers with something to work with... the more I think about it the more it makes sense to supply the static launchers as their own addon and adjust the groups accordingly. So to apply that to your description of the AT3 team, there could be an "Assistant static AT3 gunner" that is the mule with the extra magazine(s). IMO that would carry on the idea that BIS gave us with the assistant RPG gunners.

Later Soviet ATGM squads that used new weapons, like the AT-4, disposed of the RPG-7 since those ATGMs don't have anywhere near the range limitations.

I'd also point out that the AT-4 could be removed from the bipod and shoulder-launched, so it might be useful to also make it a weapon similar to the AT-13 Metis-M.

With regards to dependencies, I think your static launcher models rely on some textures in the other mod file. I can't be sure, though, since changing mod dependencies and texture locations was one of the first things I did. :/

In the real life, here in Hungary, all BRDM-AT crew has one RPG-7 in their vehicle. Only to make it sure they can fight in close combat too...

What about all the AT Brdms hcpookie ? Do you plan to solve the issues of the turret lifting ?