Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

Improved BRDM2 units

if gunnerview is there you dont need the optika_aimpoint

A brilliant bit of work there!

Just loaded the mod and I'm working my way through them all.

I did have some trouble trying to access the gunsight on the BRDM2 standard model or on some of the other turreted versions. Right mouse button is not letting me look through the gunsight - all I see is the internal turret view of the sight. I'm not using ACE if that's of any help.

All in all the new BRDM's are very welcome additions.

Huge thanks!

Cheers,

Dreadnought1

You'll have to use your "zoom" or "scope" key to get into the gunner's scope view on the turrets. That's NUMPAD "0" for me (default keyboard). I never liked when you were stuck into the scope view as a gunner. Also helps the situational awareness because you can look around a little bit to get your bearings.

Edited by hcpookie

v1.0 released with pics - see 1st post!

BRDM2 improved baseline model

brdm2imp.jpg

BRDM2-2M

brdm2m.jpg

BRDM2-2M-AGS

brdm2mags.jpg

9P124 AT2

brdm2-9p124.jpg

9P122 AT3

brdm-9p122.jpg

9P148 AT5 showing animated loading hatch

brdm-9p148.jpg

BRDM2-TOW ATGM

brdm-tow.jpg

BRDM2-M2 MG

brdm-m2.jpg

BRDM2-M134 MG

brdm-m134.jpg

BRDM2-M240 MG

brdm-m240.jpg

BRDM2-Mk19 GL

brdm-mk19.jpg

BRDM2-HQ

brdm2-hq.jpg

BRDM2-HQ C2 model

brdm-c2.jpg

BRDM2-Police Barricade model

brdm-polbarricade.jpg

BRDM2-Police Patrol model

brdm-polpatrol.jpg

Edited by hcpookie

Great! thank you so much for this... its awesome.

Just a little feedback on 1 bug I am seeing, the headlights on the back of the vehicles are bugged! no red light, its just a square kind of black! anyways you know what I mean, lol bugged. :)

@hcpookie, these are awesome. Its highly appreciated that the MLODS have been released too, i wish more addon makers would do that :)

Your MLODs will be useful for making a few Nogovan Variants :)

Great! thank you so much for this... its awesome.

Just a little feedback on 1 bug I am seeing, the headlights on the back of the vehicles are bugged! no red light, its just a square kind of black! anyways you know what I mean, lol bugged. :)

Yes that's a known issue (in the readme :) ) Happened even with the Arma2 textures, and I didn't pursue it further.

@ Foxhound, thanks so much for the mirror!

Yes a few Nogovan units would be interesting :)

Yes that's a known issue (in the readme :) ) Happened even with the Arma2 textures, and I didn't pursue it further.

@ Foxhound, thanks so much for the mirror!

Yes a few Nogovan units would be interesting :)

double check the section in your skeleton. If the lights are not listed in there this will occur..... or at least it did on my M113s......

hcpookie,

did you think about the ACE issues ? I mean can you update the pack with an ACE friendly config ? Any progress in that subject ?

hcpookie: thanks mate. Can I use one or two models for my Lingor police/army forces?

hcpookie: thanks mate. Can I use one or two models for my Lingor police/army forces?

ABSOLUTELY! :cool: As per the readme, anyone is free to use the models as they see fit so long as it is for a BIS game ;)

Edited by hcpookie

These are nice! :cool: Any chance of seeing a BRDM with the DShK instead of the M2 and even a PKM?

hcpookie: great, just what I need for police FEA (local SWAT) unit ;)

These are nice! :cool: Any chance of seeing a BRDM with the DShK instead of the M2 and even a PKM?

I thought about that but it didn't fit the concept of the CDF converting the IDF TOW vehicles for use with their forces. The open-top conversions were originally done in the real-world by the IDF from captured vehicles.

I pushed this one step further in-game by reasoning that some of the vehicles the CDF purchased would be converted to expand their forces, and save money since armored hummers (or other vehicles) would be more expensive. And since the CDF is NATO-friendly, it stands to reason that they have probably been granted access to the US weaponry for these "improvements".

The technical reason is simple - the Arma1 models for the PKM are too simple; it does not have the polygons for the reload animations, etc (with the fold-up feed tray). That's why I chose the M240, since it does have all those parts to it. I can't remember how the DSHK model looks (and I'm not at my home computer). I did look at it, and I think it was the same - no top cover, etc.

I could add a turreted model with dual-PKMs. That would eliminate the problem with the animations. I could also add a turreted model with the DSHK as well.

I found a pic of the Afghan ? conversion where they mounted a rocket pod to the top of the turret. So it really does exist! After seeing recent pics of the Libyan rebel forces doing the same with pickup trucks and flat-bed trucks, I wonder if that would be worth doing for the in-game insurgent forces. It would make for some "interesting" battles in Takistan. :)

I may add these extra vehicles. I really don't know. If I can fix the known issues, it will warrant a v1.1 upgrade, and I would throw in the extra vehicles as an added bonus.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

double check the section in your skeleton. If the lights are not listed in there this will occur..... or at least it did on my M113s......

Thanks for the advice! I will take another look at the issue. The problem could be with the actual textures.

This and the landslope contact issue are the two "big" issues that I know of.

hcpookie,

did you think about the ACE issues ? I mean can you update the pack with an ACE friendly config ? Any progress in that subject ?

I don't know if I will or not. I don't use ACE so I haven't really had a chance to really do any testing. I know they have a guide or some sort of document that explains how to make a Mod ACE-friendly, but I don't know if I will have the time to redo everything to fit their mod.

Thank you hcpookie.

Okay, the question is open. Your decision, i do not force it. :)

Are you planning any other improvments on the pack ?

Edited by Vilman

any way to spawn the BRDMs with camo nets deployed....and for the police version to have it spawned with the gate fully deployed?

Thank you hcpookie.

Okay, the question is open. Your decision, i do not force it. :)

Are you planning any other improvments on the pack ?

No more improvements, no. If anything I may add those vehicles I mentioned.

any way to spawn the BRDMs with camo nets deployed....and for the police version to have it spawned with the gate fully deployed?

Yes you can spawn them for a static emplacement, etc. The easy way is to animate the camo net or gates in the vehicle's init. This "easy" way would break the animation by not adjusting the fuel and allowing a deployed net to be driven around. It would look strange! Therefore this would be recommended only for a non-driveable scenario like if you were making a roadblock or something like that.

The hard way would be to script the user action so as to deploy the animation. This would be useful if you needed to have a player drive the vehicle in an "escape" or "steal the vehicle" kind of scenario. If you wanted to do this with an empty vehicle you could spawn a soldier, move to driver, force the user action, then delete the driver. I know it can be done, but I haven't explored an example script.

So, are there still any RPT errors present?

Icebreakr, yes, the RPT errors are still there for the Police vehicles only. It has been a busy week at work so I won't be able to do more testing until Sunday at the earliest.

Icebreakr, yes, the RPT errors are still there for the Police vehicles only.

Placement slopelandcontact failed

FIXED!

While I am weathering Hurricane Irene I decided to play around in O2. I finally found where the error was hiding! It is not obvious... the report suggests the issue is with the LandContact LOD. That is not the problem - the problem is with the model properties.

To fix:

You must enable the Named Properties viewer in O2 under Window > Named Properties.

Once there, find the "Placement" property. The correct property value appears to be "slope". In my models, the value was "landslopecontact". The issue was corrected when I replaced the value with "slope". On some models, the Placement property did not even exist, yet no errors were reported. Since it exists on most of the models I figure it would be worth adding.

I do now know how this happened, because these models were copy/pasted from the baseline model. There is exactly one other report of this issue, and that was with terrain editing. Fortunately I found the original post on the necromantix website and tracked this down.

I need to update the MLODs as well, then on to the tail light bug...

Love your dedication to the matter. Unluckly myself I don't have that privilege anymore with RL duties... hopefully that will change, too. For taillight check baseline, maybe the problem is also present there.

Tail light issue - FIXED!

The skeleton cfg was OK. I adapted the City Bus lights which are actually more round and scaled them to better match the tail light location.

At this point, the "major" issues are resolved. I will soon be releasing a v1.1 release - along with updated MLODs. And perhaps some extra models :)

I too am going to be busy with Real Life for the next few weeks. I have a trip scheduled to a data center in Bahrain. 19 hour flight :(

Tail light issue - FIXED!

The skeleton cfg was OK. I adapted the City Bus lights which are actually more round and scaled them to better match the tail light location.

At this point, the "major" issues are resolved. I will soon be releasing a v1.1 release - along with updated MLODs. And perhaps some extra models :)

Sounds great, release when your ready :)

Update 9/7/2011

-------------------

v1.1 released! See first post.

FIX: Tail light and brake light texture issue. No more black boxes around lights.

FIX: "Placement slopelandcontact failed" error in RPT for both Police models. No more errors in RPT file!

NEW: Dual-gun PKT Model with dual mounted PKTs and gunner turret hatch.

NEW: Improvised rocket pod mount used by rebels and insurgents. Uses S8 rocket pod

NEW: Showcase Mission updated with new units.

v1.1 Download:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5B54FC51A7917265&id=5B54FC51A7917265%211443&sc=documents#!/?cid=5b54fc51a7917265&sc=documents&uc=1&id=5B54FC51A7917265%211443

Pics of the new units:

BRDM2IMP Dual-mount PKT: Now you can re-enact that attack from Heartbreak Ridge!

brdm2imppkt.jpg

BRDM2IMP Improvised Rocket Pod: As used in the Real World by the Afghan army and Libyan Rebels.

brdm2imprkt.jpg

Edited by hcpookie