Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

A view of ArmA II multiplayer from a TF2, CSS, BF2 player

1. Mod dependency

There are way too many mods out there for ArmA II on a server. A random person will try going to a public 100 player PvP server that finally isn't Domination, and will be greeted with:

You can not play/edit this game, it is dependent on content: @ACE, @ACEX,

@ACRE,@RH40PACK,@TACTICOOLM4,@WARFX,@NAVYSEALSMODELS ,@SOMERANDOMSTUFFYOUHAVETOSCOURTHEINTERNETS, + 20 other mods i have never heard of

I also don't understand that exaggerated pseudo-need for mods. In my opinion people mod for ArmA II because it is just POSSIBLE, not neccessary.

If ArmA II was not moddable, also hardly anybody would have the feeling of a incomplete, insufficient or bad game experience. I am not against map-intern scripts that alter the default gameplay. But I don't like non-official things you have to download in order to participate somewhere.

Surely the modders are capable persons who put much time and energy into it. But it's really a pain in the ass that 100 public servers require 101 different mod combinations.

In my opinion ArmA is already the best game of its kind out there (though I wouldn't count kiddy CoD and stuff to the same kind...).

The sandboxyness with its unlimited possibilites makes ArmA great. Not the existence of 10k mods.

But it's really a pain in the ass that 100 public servers require 101 different mod combinations
Maybe, but there's probably plenty of addon-less servers out there too, choice for everyone. Still IMO it isn't a problem if only the available tools like AddonSync and Six Updater would be more widely used.

Instead of everyone spending countless hours explaining people how to manually install mods, you get people to understand a single program which gets them all the mods they need for whatever server they want to join.

Suddenly you have a lot less time spent on support, and a lot more time spent gaming.

Myke;1905826']OMFG' date=' Drama queen inbound.

From what i was reading, it was about people not playing as a team on public servers which mostly play Domination. Both are simple facts and do not state any word about the quality of the mission itself. Myself i'm just back from a round of Domination, played with my clan and i enjoyed it.

But maybe since you're "winner of 4 jpg medals" you're beyond any critics and all we're allowed to do is to praise you for the mission you've made.

Seriously, get over it and grow up.[/quote']I remember last time people had feedback about your mods, you threatened to quit just alike.

If anything, as a developer, one should be able to better understand, respect and support eachother in these matters, instead of this stuff.

Of course there's space for feedback, negative and positive, but this is more like a witch-hunt than it is genuine feedback is it?

I too get sick and tired of the always ongoing blame game, mostly by people who don't lift a finger themselves.

It's always the same. It's the tools, or the missions, or the mods, or the this, or the that. In the meantime hard working people who devote massive portions of their free time, blood, sweat and tears, for the enjoyment of themselves and others, get pissed on.

We don't get paid, so motivation comes from credit, rep, and other such things.

If people would get a little more pro-active, supportive, and stop blaming, and start gaming and working together, things could look a lot better.

Edited by Sickboy

I really don't konw if we are talking about the same game? when i refresh the server list, i can't join any server with my addons, due to signature check. And when i disable all my addons i can join every server without getting kicked cause i'm missing any content, regarding your "pseudo-need" for mods.. But who cares, this discussion is becoming really silly

@Sickboy

Fair point, but remember, the case you speak of, it was directly related to my addons.

Now it is about "People who don't play as team in Domination".

It isn't about the Mission, it is about the people who playing on the server. Domination as a popular and often played mission on public servers will therefor have most attention. He could have named any other coop mission for that matter.

Myke;1906332']@Sickboy

Fair point' date=' but remember, the case you speak of, it was directly related to my addons.

Now it is about "People who don't play as team in Domination".

It isn't about the Mission, it is about the people who playing on the server. Domination as a popular and often played mission on public servers will therefor have most attention. He could have named any other coop mission for that matter.[/quote']I see your point.

I guess it's a bit of a 'the final drop' case, there's more threads out there,

but perhaps we tend to take it too personal, but being (or feeling as) the subject of returning hate every few months, I guess it eats away at people.

Edited by Sickboy

Haha....completely agree with OP!

I would suggest opening a beginners thread, with some server admins who are patient (like me and my buddy), and who wanna help new players who are interested in the mp-experience. .

I say go for it and ask a moderator to sticky it. Most constructive thing to come out of the thread so far. First post, simple list of noob freindly servers and a kindly reminder to check the forum rules and search function and the rest, maybe a place for noobs to speak without copping the obligatory 'oh not again, go away and use the fkn search button', is probably the least they deserve. Just make sure the title attracts them like moths to a flame though.

I've had ArmA II for pretty much around 2 years and

Hi all, I'm new too. Or relatively speaking I am. I've been playing Arma 2 for a year, but only been playing online for about 2 months or so. Although I play nearly every night.

I agree that Domination seems to be really terrible, badly made, boring, tedious, bad atmosphere, laggy, generally just horrible and I'm not sure why so many people play it.

I don't agree with the other stuff though. Mods, personally I have had no problems at all. I have no mods installed but I don't think I have ever found a server that required a mod. Perhaps I have activated some kind of filter (I can't remember), but either way, I seem to have lots of servers to choose from and none of them require a mod, so I have no complaints about that.

Personally I found that the key to this game is the game mode called "Capture The Island" (CTI). To me, this is what Arma2 should be all about, and everyone should play it.

The maps are huge, and you start with a bit of money which you can use to buy yourself better gear and/or a squad to help you. Your team has to capture towns which are controlled by AI at first, but the AI is very realistic, and mixed amongst the AI are real players on the enemy team. As your money increases you get to buy light vehicles, then heavy vehicles and tanks, and then aircraft! It's the perfect game mode in my opinion. It never gets boring because the longer you play, the more good stuff you get to work with.

The maps being big is only a benefit too. You have lots of vehicles so getting to places is rarely more than a minute or two of driving, even less if you have choppers to carry you or to fly in. Also, if you have a good commander, they will have built a base near to the front lines so that the team doesn't have to travel very far. I also find that size to be very important because it lets you genuinely flank the enemy and you can also go lonewolf if you like. You can play as a team, and generally it seems that teams who play well together are the ones that win easiest. But sometimes I like to take a chopper and fill it with my own squad, and then go from town to town and capture the towns all by myself. I can do that in this game mode because the map is so big, I can find a far away town and make it my mission, and yet I'm benefiting the team by doing that too.

It's an absolute joy to play. Personally I think Domination is incredibly dull, and I dislike Insurgency too. I was really regretting my decision to buy this game at first, but since coming across the CTI mode, I've had endless fun in this game. I have even now filtered my games to show only CTI, because nothing else seems worth playing in comparison.

The only negative thing I have to say about this game (besides occasional lag/warping issues), is that there aren't enough good servers for the other game modes which could be good. I would really like to play Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch and Capture The Flag sometimes. CTI is brilliant when I can spend several hours because I can play a whole game and go from grunt to tank commander to gunship pilot to harrier pilot and I have such a great time. But when I just want to play for half an hour, or an hour, it would be nice to play DM/TDM/CTF. Sadly I can't find any populated servers that run those game modes and the few that I do see, have red pings.

I also would like to see more short co-op missions. When I had the demo of this game, I used to make some nice missions myself. One of them had a squad of 6 start next to crates of gear, and then we had to head over a forest covered hill and take over the town on the other side. It was a great way to spend half an hour, but I rarely see games like this now that I have the full game, and again, the few I do see tend to have red pings.

So that's my only complaint, but my recommendation to everyone else is to find a CTI server that you like and enjoy! It's amazing, and it really makes the most out of Arma2. Tanks, gunships, jets, artillery, it has it all! I don't like COD, Battlefield is good though. But I can't see myself ever playing a game like that again since I came across this CTI mode. This game mode plays a lot like Battlefield actually, but it's just bigger, better, longer, more mature, more depth, better looking, everything about it is just better. Battlefield 3 looks really interesting and has gorgeous graphics, but I really doubt it would be able to drag me away from Arma2/CTI. To me this game is the perfect mixture of Arcade and realism. The aircraft and tanks are all fairly easy to control, just like an arcade game, but with enough technicality that you still have to be skilful and accurate with them. And then the on-foot combat is very realistic and exciting. I am totally spoiled now by this game, it's literally the game of my dreams. My dreams were answered when I used to play Midwinter waaaay back in 1989... but since then, there hasn't been many other games to offer that same kind of 'grand' experience. Until now :)

Edited by Pummel

Somehow I feel like the only person who's played on Domination servers that have teamwork.

To be honest I saw more teamwork on Domination than anywhere else. But I just really didn't like it. It was too laggy, and too slow, too boring, too restrictive, too many rules, too many team killers, and I just generally had a miserable time playing it. CTI was the opposite. In CTI I am in charge of my own destiny :P I can do whatever I want, hunt anywhere I want, use any gear, any vehicle, play alone or play as a team, it's really great. I can't say enough good things about it, I really love it. And that's only in public games. I am guessing that if I some day joined a clan/guild/whatever, it would be even better.

^^ nah, I've had plenty fo fine hrs being part of a team in Dom. And also some good ones going lone wolf, kind of what I love about Dom. But the stated flaws have been visable aswell.

But this thread isn't actualy about Domination, that was just a point about how it appears to some to occupy every public server and in turn stiffle variety. The thread is about how the complexity of our little community with its clans and mods, and confusing error messages from servers put new players off.

As an experienced player I could have stuck my head in the sand and ignored the issue but I know the issue is real because these are same reasons I had trouble convincing others to play. Got to the piont wherre I set up my wifes comp as a dedicated server so they could gain the confidence (dont ask the price).

I say go for it and ask a moderator to sticky it. Most constructive thing to come out of the thread so far. First post, simple list of noob freindly servers and a kindly reminder to check the forum rules and search function and the rest, maybe a place for noobs to speak without copping the obligatory 'oh not again, go away and use the fkn search button', is probably the least they deserve. Just make sure the title attracts them like moths to a flame though.

No. The people who are new to ArmA II would have no idea of Bohemia Interactive forums. Probably around 60-70% of ArmA II players don't go on Bohemia Interactive forums. Something like this should be added directly into the game. Perhaps add a FORUM button in the main menu.

Maybe, but there's probably plenty of addon-less servers out there too, choice for everyone. Still IMO it isn't a problem if only the available tools like AddonSync and Six Updater would be more widely used.

No new player will know of AddonSync. ArmA II needs to be easy to approach to new players and should be operative to play on most servers without a third party program. I'd say ArmA II should download any addons that the player doesn't have onto his comp when trying to join a server with mods enabled. The solution would be extremely simple without killing the server's bandwidth.

1. Player with no mods joins server that is mod dependent

2. Message pops up "You do not have these mods listed here:@EXAMPLE,@ANOTHEREXAMPLE

Would you like to download them?(100mb)

3. Player selects yes

4. In every mod folder on the server hosting ArmA II, there would be a file with a URL in there that links to where the mod is hosted(downloadurl.txt in @EXAMPLE). The game will download from this URL link, and NOT DIRECTLY FROM THE SERVER HOSTING ARMA II(so if @EXAMPLE was hosted in ArmAholic, it'll download from ArmAholic and not the server hosting ArmA II)

6. The game will extract the downloaded .rar that only has .PBOs in it to a folder with the server's name where it'll dump all the .PBOs that that exact server requires.

7. Game automatically mounts the server folder that was just created whenever you join that specific server.

8. Player has fun, doesn't need to alt tab and download some third party program.

OR if there is no download URL for the mod, the player will download directly from the server hosting ArmA II if the server host enables it.

Can't believe there are so many ppl complaining they cant join servers with a simple click.

Cmon, this is highly moddable game and as such every server admin runs what he thinks is the most fun.

My personal way of joining a server is:

1. Which servers run my fav mission types several times a week?

2. Can i join? Which mods are required? Can i find them myself?

3. If i have problems i seek out the clan website / look around here in the BIS forums for clan threads or single forum members who have the same clan tag and PM them.

4. Register on the clan website, introduce myself, ask what mods i need to run, ask for the server password, ask for the ts3 server, then play play play & have fun.

5. Make a modfolder named like the server you want to join. How long does it take to restart ArmA2 with a new modfolder? 2mins?

Where's the problem? A bit of socialization takes a bit of effort, its a bit more than just click some 'I LIKE' button. :P

)rStrangelove;1906823']Can't believe there are so many ppl complaining they cant join servers with a simple click.

Cmon' date=' this is highly moddable game and as such every server admin runs what he thinks is the most fun.

3. If i have problems i seek out the clan website / look around here in the BIS forums for clan threads or single forum members who have the same clan tag and PM them.

4. Register on the clan website, introduce myself, ask what mods i need to run, ask for the server password, ask for the ts3 server, then play play play & have fun.

5. Make a modfolder named like the server you want to join. How long does it take to restart ArmA2 with a new modfolder? 2mins?

Where's the problem? A bit of socialization takes a bit of effort, its a bit more than just click some 'I LIKE' button. :P[/quote']

5 steps is your version of one simple click? You see, the problem is not that you know how its done, or that i know how its done. I can say with a 100% certainty though that the steam version does not come with a link to these forums, dont know about the boxed version though. I support the idea for a built in addon sync type function, that would probably in its own help do wonders. Making that simple click so much more a reality than a shameful farce. The forum link in the main menu is a good idea as well, that has got to be so easy (compared to the addon sync type function) to implement. Get those new people a map to getting started in the community. This is an actual solution to a very real problem.

:thumbsup: Like

:thumbsdown: - Telling new people they are the problem

As for mods, as Robalo_AS says it: "It's a sort of a noob-filter". The game is desperate for new players, and you want to filter out "noobs"? On public, get to know them, train them, and recruit them, and ban the idiots (idiots != noobs). Todays noobs will outshoot you tomorrow...

Although i get your point of view, and see it as a valid one. I dont see it as helpful to keeping the "noobs" around long enough to see what the game is about. Especially when people like yourself stay on private servers. No disrespect intended, just an observation of a common ideology around here that most of you veterans seem to share that doesnt really help the situation but at the same time has some of the greatest games result from it. Sort of a catch 22. I think the root of the problem might come from something along these lines. How can it be fixed? I can only imagine that maybe over time, more new people would stay and learn, then the amount of people that play it for what it is will heavily outnumber the "noobs". But that is just a maybe with some wishfull thinking, and its also a risk most people around here are not willing to take or sacrifice, there is some understanding but no possible solution without a change.

Edited by pbishop

)rStrangelove;1906823']Can't believe there are so many ppl complaining they cant join servers with a simple click.

Cmon' date=' this is highly moddable game and as such every server admin runs what he thinks is the most fun.

Where's the problem? A bit of socialization takes a bit of effort, its a bit more than just click some 'I LIKE' button. :P[/quote']

That is only working around the problem that public multiplayer is pretty much dead thanks to the cycle of this self-feeding attitude that only seldom played closed community games are worth playing.

5 steps is your version of one simple click?

No, i was trying to say that there is no simple 1-click-and-your-online solution in ArmA like in other games.

And you're right, it should be shown to the new players somewhere on the package / on steam. This is BIS's job imo. A social solution for ArmA would surely be appreciated by old & new players and give the game a better popularity overall.

That is only working around the problem that public multiplayer is pretty much dead thanks to the cycle of this self-feeding attitude that only seldom played closed community games are worth playing.

Yes, the point of a workaround is that it works. Sorry that i just want to enjoy a game to the fullest, rather than crying about a non existing socialize & join a game button.

What i dont get: taking my time explaining workarounds to ppl having problems is selfish?

)rStrangelove;1906865']Yes' date=' the point of a workaround is that it works. Sorry that i just want to enjoy a game to the fullest, rather than crying about a non existing socialize & join a game button.

What i dont get: taking my time explaining workarounds to ppl having problems is selfish?[/quote']

The topic of this thread is criticism of the current state of Arma 2 multiplayer. Disregarding it as impatient complaining while showing what needs to be done in order to join quality games (something we already know, hence the complaints) can be seen as negative and unconstructive attitude.

Current status with addons can't be easier to player, because it is already as simple as possible. You can see if you need ACE in the mission name, you can see what addons you need at the bottom line. There are plenty information how to download, install and run addons. There are lots of custom tools and loaders. You can even type "arma 2 addons" in Google and find video manuals on the fisrt page. The only barrier to use addons for a new ArmA player can be his own will. I would like those who are too lazy to watch video manuals to stay away with their problems from Addon Makers. It would be better for community if Addon Makers will use their time improving and polishing addons, not on making life easier for lazy people.

I think the game is wonderfull and like no other game. It promotes the community and all players are able to create and make content for friends or share with the world. On the otherhand i can understand a newcomer's fustration when joining this game, cus most players are used to "one click solutions" when buying new games on the market. However Arma2 is a full-blown PC game and not some port from a X-box or a PS3. Its a PC game and it gives fills every expectation a PC game should fill, mod and play anything, create and spend countless hours figguring everything out. But i have to agree on some points the threadstarter presented. It could be simpler to get a good start..How that would be done practically i dont know. Addons are made by the community and not BIS. I think the new patches have done wonders with the server browser so i can see what addons are in use before i join the game :) I sometimes use http://arma2.swec.se/server/list to check signatures.

Lets hope new players to Arma2 use google, find this forum or another and figgure it out :)

Read a interview about the community here I think its a good view about some of the things that make Arma2 such a fantastic game.

Edited by cri74

@Celery:

The topic of this thread is: ArmA MP from <other action game> gamer's perspective,

concerning:

1. Mod dependancy

2. Too much Domination

3. Missions are too big

What was basically said in this thread is:

- ArmA MP is totally different from other games MP

- it is like it is. You can't force admins to do how you'd like to things to be. But everyone is free to host his own server like he wants (instead of complaining).

- and i offered a solution to the points above

So i dont see that as unconstructive tbh. Ppl complaining about having to download & setup a modfolder will also complain about having download & setup tools like Sickboy's Sixupdater / yomas to organize modfolders automaticly for them.

If ppl dont want to do anything, what are you supposed to do?

It rains in Germany very often although i don't want it to. I could complain about it, but i adapt and make the best of it. :D

)rStrangelove;1906953']So i dont see that as unconstructive tbh. Ppl complaining about having to download & setup a modfolder will also complain about having download & setup tools like Sickboy's Sixupdater / yomas to organize modfolders automaticly for them.

If ppl dont want to do anything' date=' what are you supposed to do?

It rains in Germany very often although i don't want it to. I could complain about it, but i adapt and make the best of it. :D[/quote']

You can't make Germany rainless with forum posts but there is an off chance that a valid piece of insight might reach the developers on their own forum. The thread's point is that you have to do what you yourself wrote, it's not about not knowing about those options. You talk about 3rd party addon downloaders like they're exactly what someone should expect when starting to play a game online. You might be surprised that many veteran members don't like the hassle either. I don't use Yoma or Six and I want the game to have its own addon downloading and on-the-fly activation/deactivation feature to get rid of the silly player kicking because of a single missing or unwanted addon.

I don't use Yoma or Six and I want the game to have its own addon downloading and on-the-fly activation/deactivation feature to get rid of the silly player kicking because of a single missing or unwanted addon.
The problem Celery is that I think it's clear by now this isn't going to happen, certainly not for ArmA 2 / OA. So like it or not, SU and AS and other endevours like it, are all you're going to get.

That's why I am asking people to support and invest in these endevours, instead of pissing on them, or keep saying you want in-game download manager support - it's wishful thinking, which gets nobody anywhere, other than stuck - which is the case since ~arma1.

In-game download manager would be ideal, but it's not happening. So why not invest in the options that are actually achievable, and help make it better, faster and more useful for your needs?

Edited by Sickboy

The problem Celery is that I think it's clear by now this isn't going to happen, certainly not for ArmA 2 / OA. So like it or not, SU and AS and other endevours like it, are all you're going to get.

That's why I am asking people to support and invest in these endevours, instead of pissing on them, or keep saying you want in-game download manager support - it's wishful thinking, which gets nobody anywhere, other than stuck - which is the case since ~arma1.

In-game download manager would be ideal, but it's not happening. So why not invest in the options that are actually achievable, and help make it better, faster and more useful for your needs?

This simply isn't the thread for that kind of discussion. The OP pointed out what's wrong and brought up points that would improve the current "join clan & have exact same addons as the server or no entry" situation. Telling about the bliss of joining a clan and downloading mods with an external program isn't viable feedback in this case.

This simply isn't the thread for that kind of discussion. The OP pointed out what's wrong and brought up points that would improve the current "join clan & have exact same addons as the server or no entry" situation. Telling about the bliss of joining a clan and downloading mods with an external program isn't viable feedback in this case.

Fair point.

Anyone interested in discussing / supporting solutions that are actually in reach, come find me @ http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=98609 :)

For god sake, there's a ton of excusses in here.

I'm a new player and i see this server, but for some reason it dont let me play saying "you dont have XXX mod".

Instead of looking for the server name and trying to use google to find it ... I think its more easy to play the "OMG, i'm too lazy to search for myself". I need some one to take me by hand and help, its hard to think that this Server site will host the Mod they use.

But why would they make it easy? Hosting it to me download if i got to server site. God its too harsh on me... (Sorry for being ofensive, but i got really pissed with those type of excusses over these years)

OMG pressing "download" on both Yoma and SixUpdater is very Hard. Please dont make me suffer such think. Its too HARD!

And for god sake, there is people here who never done a single addon, mod, mission and yet they feel that they are good enought to start criticizing the guys who got they free time to work like hell to what? Take Xeno as example. He is being bashed like in hell for making something that a LOT of people use to play.

You dont like Domi? OK, but at least give a look and start to use your little brain to see how much work has been done to make it happen.

BUT, the public servers only play it... Well, there's a lot of people who dosent have so much time free to expend on a more complex and tactical gameplay. Or they are just trying to relax. Get online, do some fast mission and in 1 hour they are out. For GOD, its PUBLIC, now i will go to a park and will start feeling pissed if see someone enjoying the nice sunny day because i dont like it...

Start to play in a comunity server if you want to play more realistic, and wont bee needed anymore to start dowloading XXX addon diferent's.

And to OP, just stay with your BF2 please.