Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA release candidate 1.59 build 78955

Animations in 1.59:

* jog (which is used very often) is in fact slower than it was until 1.57

* fast kneel movement also slower

* climbing ladders is slower

* AT reload speed should be also slower (at least it was attempted to be, I did not test it yet) or the same as in 1.57

* various transitions are a bit faster but nowhere near as fast as they were in 1.58

I simply fail to see how is Arma 2 becoming as fast as common corridor shooters at all in 1.59.

I do believe andersson was trolling the poor lad who was gullible enough to think that "all animation speeds have been doubled". That's not the way he really thinks.

However, there are people who do think that you guys are making the game into a "common corridor shooter". Mostly because they saw that one video from 1.58RC, and they are too lazy to try the latest betas and see for themselves. Don't listen to those kind of people.

I, for one, really love what you guys at BIS have been doing. Sure, it might've been overdone in 1.58RC, but you guys have toned it back to an acceptable level, and I'm sure as time goes on you guys will continue to refine the animations until they are perfect. At least you guys are taking the time to change them. Thanks.

LOL, I thought I did some obvious trolling :D Sorry Maruk & the rest!

I didnt even think it was possible to take that serious after reading my earlier posts + see what I quoted. Duckmeister is right :)

I like what you do and know that the end result always is better than good BIS ;)

Oh come on guys, no one wants to answer my question? :butbut:

@BIS I in fact like the new Animation Speed when moving, the only thing I really dislike are the "switch to AT" speeds and the "AT Reloading" speeds If you would only find a way to slow them down, then I think most of the People here would be happy and stop bitching^^

Could you please explain it to us why it is such a Problem to slow them down? You know, we understand everything if you take the Time to explain it

What would happen if you slow down the "switch to AT" Speed? Would this also slow down the Pistol switch? Same with Reloading?

You have the answer a few posts above you.

Animations in 1.59:

* AT reload speed should be also slower (at least it was attempted to be, I did not test it yet) or the same as in 1.57

Once more, any word if anyone is experiencing any VOIP gremlins?

Yes.

With the 1.59 RC and newest 79122 beta, I have no VOIP. Actually, the last beta patch it worked was 78413. I have tried with multiple clients on different dedicated and hosted servers with and without addons. No options have changed. It just stopped working.

http://www.dev-heaven.net/issues/15886 It effects everyone, not just some, that we play with.

Anyone else? I know there's at least 5 of us that have the problem.

In a very easy scenario i set up myself in 5 minutes i found 2 gamebreakers very fast:

1. Im a leader of a Recon Squad, first aid module is used. If i get wounded no one cares about me and i slowly bleed out without first aid fix from AI. Happened 2 times in 3 tests.

2.AI ist still engaging empty proxys like vehicles after their gunners/drivers are dead. Was mentioned 2 times and should be fixed but it still isnt;-(

Besides that stuff thx another nice patch BIS!

1: Did you call for Help?

You have to press 5-4 to let your squad know that you are wounded, works every time for me

1: Did you call for Help?

You have to press 5-4 to let your squad know that you are wounded, works every time for me

yep did that like 20 times. in some situations they just ignore you as player, dont know why/how to reproduce..

hmm i like the new animations, dunno what people are complaining about

yep did that like 20 times. in some situations they just ignore you as player, dont know why/how to reproduce..

Do you have only the first aid module? Or do you have the other 2 also. Battlefield clearance or the other one (don't remember it's name). You can try adding or taking them away if you haven't already.

And do you have any mods that would interfere, like ACE?

You have the answer a few posts above you.

The reload speed is indeed slower, I timed it at 5 seconds, up from about 3 before. The switch-to-at speed is still faster than current release, the switch to at -> aim -> fire process takes about 5 seconds to complete for me on a stationary target 500m away, definitely too quick.

No one thinks the game is turning in to a common corridor shooter. We do however think that BI is going the wrong direction or overdoing it in a few places, mainly making AT pathetically easy to use, and overdoing it with the complete removal of weapon clipping on all primary guns.

It comes across as them as catering to the people who want to be able to fill all roles effectively at once rather than rewarding teamwork, which is what many of us play arma for.

Just the reload speed or also the speed at which you pull the AT out?

EDIT: Doh, didn't notice the post above mine until after I posted. That's a damn shame about the swap speed. I'm sure it won't change in 1.59 final, but I really hope they change it for the next patch. Reload speeds don't mean jack squat for weapons like M136 and Javelin.

In my opinion, how about opening a new thread to discuss what the specific speed (which is better given to two decimal places if you can) of various animation would satisfy you?

for example

rifles reloading time: x.xx seconds

rpg reloading time: x.xx seconds

AT missile prepairing for fire (launch the power, open the operating system etc. which might not be shown on the screen as there is no animation for it) need time: x.xx seconds

I think a specific number instead of a vague adjective such as too fast, double fast, faster than real life can be more available for BIS developers to learn about what you want.

the type and variety of one weapon series might be specific if you can.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Suma - can you please add some small feature/s to weapons? Like visible laser , using laser and flashlight on same gun and Tritium illumination for optic

I think if there is no engine restraint, L-key can be for one illuminating function and SHIFT+L can be for another function so that one gun can have two controllable functions at the same time.

Hope BIS can make it

Edited by msy

In my opinion, how about opening a new thread to discuss what the specific speed (which is better given to two decimal places if you can) of various animation would satisfy you?

for example

rifles reloading time: x.xx seconds

rpg reloading time: x.xx seconds

AT missile prepairing for fire (launch the power, open the operating system etc. which might not be shown on the screen as there is no animation for it) need time: x.xx seconds

I think a specific number instead of a vague adjective such as too fast, double fast, faster than real life can be more available for BIS developers to learn about what you want.

the type and variety of one weapon series might be specific if you can

Put bluntly. I think the vast majority of forum contributers lack the experience, designers eye, and technical proficiency on the topics of character animation to make any meaningful contribution. Particularly in a milisecond timeframe which humans are famously incapable of getting a good gut feel for anyhow.

More to the point all the tweaking in the world will not permanently 'correct' animations which are poorly conceived from the start. Or rather were created with a different design envelope in mind.

That is not to say a discussion on animation wont be useful; it just would be better to discuss the broad conceptuals of what the average forumgoer expect the in game avatar to be able to do.

-k

Yes, perfect way to open your complaint. Start it with slandering the guys who could potentially fix your issue in the future. Personally, that made me stop reading the rest of your post. Let's try to not be so dramatic.

How about you let ppl vent mate... some ppl have very little emotion/reaction and some have more.

Stop wanting ppl to reply/act in a fashion only 'you' see fit.

Serious lack of tolerance on this forum, not so much this post exactly but many other intolerant replys to someone who maybe a little stressed, angry, tired etc... you elitists must suck around children.

§18) No public discussion on how the forum is moderated

If you have questions/complaints/comments about the forum or moderators please PM them to a moderator, we will do our utmost to reply to any that we receive. If you have an issue that you feel cannot be solved by another moderator then please PM the head moderator (Placebo), he will be happy to look into the matter. You may also ask your questions in the "Ask a mod" thread; however that thread is not to be used to attack/rant against specific moderators or about specific rules but more for questions/answers.

Emotions, stress, anger nor tiredness will rarely exempt someone from making a clearly over-exaggerated, flame-baiting remark, unless they have a very good reason for it. Frankly, you need to take a break if you're getting so worked up over a video game, but who's even saying any of what you said was what was going on with metalcraze when he made his remark?

Edited by Zipper5

I've just installed patch 1.59 RC and I'm seeing greater detail in the graphics and quite a noticeable increase in framerates. The performance boost is fantastic on my i7 870/GTX 470 SLI set up -- better than what I had briefly glimpsed with the abandoned 1.58 patch. (A friend of mine had actually told me that this game doesn't support SLI -- not true.)

But I'm also seeing AIs getting stuck, wedged against walls, fences and odd corners here and there. The "walking" animation continues, but the affected AIs do not advance. I've heard people call this bug "running man" or something like that. This never used to happen.

Likewise, there was previous mention here of an issue where AIs refuse to heal the player when using the first aid modules. I've had that happen to me three or four times with this patch, as well. ( I was using the first aid action and simulation modules.)

Other than that, I haven't seen any real game-breaking problems with the patch and am really quite happy that BIS continues to pay attention to performance tweaks. I hope to see more in the future!

I had a look into the healing issue and I see no change. In combat mode the A.I. will go for safaty first, thexy wotn tty to heal someone in the line of fire.

In that case it my take a while, sometimes to long. Tested this like 10 times with the "trial by fire" SP mission in veteran mode.

How about you let ppl vent mate... some ppl have very little emotion/reaction and some have more.

Stop wanting ppl to reply/act in a fashion only 'you' see fit.

Serious lack of tolerance on this forum, not so much this post exactly but many other intolerant replys to someone who maybe a little stressed, angry, tired etc... you elitists must suck around children.

When you're in someone else's house (BI Forums), you behave, and if you can't behave you go outside / to your own home and do / behave however you like :)

People have all the right to be how they wanna be, but in their own domain :)

Can this RC version be uninstalled or do i have to re-install both Armas if I want to revert back to 1.57?

What happens if I install this RC when steam tries to update my current 1.57 to 1.59, or 1.08 to 1.09?

Or will steam's next update be 1.58? I am so lost with all these builds...

Given how there's been beta patches since the release of this RC, there should be no problems with patching in the future if you install it, as the version numbers will have changed.

If you want to uninstall it, however, I recommend you back up your entire Arma 2 installation folder before installing it, that way you don't have to re-download/install the entire game again.

No final patch has been released yet, so when it is released, your copy should be updated with no problems.

Given how there's been beta patches since the release of this RC, there should be no problems with patching in the future if you install it, as the version numbers will have changed.

No final patch has been released yet, so when it is released, your copy should be updated with no problems.

That should only be the case if there are no new data changes, unless they include delta's from the 1.59 RC data to 1.59 final.

I think just the exe file changes shouldn't be a problem.