Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Zil - Screwdrive released!

Hello everyone,

Finally after lots of work on something which was meant to be a "little project" me and Richard would like to present to you the Zil-Screwdrive!

About this addon:

Click the button bellow to view

Screw propelled vehicles are largely unheard-of, most people don’t even know that they exist but in fact the concept of a screw propelled vehicle dates back over 140 years. One of the earliest known concepts of such a vehicle was designed by a Swiss man called Jacob Morath in 1868, it was to be used for agricultural tasks but it was only in 1907 that a screw propelled vehicle was actually built. Over the years many more concepts of screw propelled vehicles where designed and built, such as the Fordson Snow Devil.

Screw propelled vehicles work in the same way that makes a screw move forward or backwards (into or out of an object) when it is being turned thanks to the slightly sloped threads on the screw. Screw propelled vehicles take advantage of this by using two screws which turn in the opposite direction of each other which enable the vehicle to move forward or backwards, by slowing down one screw the vehicle is able to turn like a tank.

The advantage that screw propelled vehicles have over tracked or wheeled vehicles is that they the mechanism which they use, usually two screws is much simpler and less likely to get damaged, the screws also enable the vehicle to drive on deep snow and where other vehicles would get stuck, so it is no wonder that the Soviet Union also became interested in this concept and developed some of the biggest and most intriguing screw propelled vehicles such as the ZIL-2906 which was used to pick up cosmonauts from Siberia and the ZIL-4904.

Due to a lack of information and material to work from I was not able to fully recreate the ZIL-4904 so I created a vehicle which resembles the ZIL-4904 as closely as possible, if you have any photos of the ZIL-4904 please contact me.

Intro Video:

Features:

• Animated doors
  • Animated windscreen wipers
  • Animated Radar + Radar screens
  • Fully working screws
  • Replaceable map in the HQ
  • Woodland + Desert camo
  • Damage explosion effect
  • Any object can be attached to these vehicles
  • Animated levers and dashboard
  • Fully localised in English, Czech, Polish and Russian
  • Drive sideways (side step)

Vehicles Included in this addon:

• Ammo (Woodland + desert camouflage)
  • Refuel (Woodland + desert camouflage)
  • Repair (Woodland + desert camouflage)
  • HQ (Woodland + desert camouflage)
  • Medical (Woodland + desert camouflage)
  • Troop carrier (Woodland + desert camouflage)
  • Cargo (Woodland + desert camouflage)

Screenshots:

qdqmsti7sqx5tkswtfbq_thumb.jpgh1nhjulhpqp3vjjykfom_thumb.jpgj1fly7bepnysjn68iw54_thumb.jpgzcrgj53u4k9lnn2btgke_thumb.jpg9ibj63gjjg43owoh2jpv_thumb.jpg

Download Link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3CR12JWQ (~56MB)

Manuals (PDF):

English: http://www.mediafire.com/?20ce3zzfj064mv6 (~900kb)

Czech: http://www.mediafire.com/?voiahhxg0yre6uv (~2.36Mb)

Russian: Coming soon!

Polish: Coming soon!

Credits

Modeling & Texturing – Martin (Thanks to Topas for some help with texturing techniques)

Scripting & Config – Richard

Translations to Czech, Polish and Russian – Martin

Enjoy, please mirror and leave your feedback!

Edited by -Martin-
Added some info

Of course, I tried to make this a close as possible to the real thing.

519476632_d86069b56d.jpg

so it has a screw drive???

It has no wheels or tracks, it uses two giant screws instead, this means it can drive on deep snow and mud, swamps etc... while other vehicles with wheels or tracks are most likely to get stuck.

Edited by -Martin-

Dam. I am having Dam Nation Ally flashbacks. Thanks Martin, will test when at desktop.

Srsly, i thought it was the most retarded thing ever, then i realized this does exist.

Mind = Blown

Srsly, i thought it was the most retarded thing ever, then i realized this does exist.

Mind = Blown

Thinking that something is retarded because its different then what we are used to isn't practical, having great innovation and unordinary ideas is what can make the difference of a battle being lost of won, it can also enable you to take on much bigger enemies.

This vehicle was only a prototype but if it did go in to service I'm sure it would provide the Soviets with a very big advantage when fighting in Russian winters.

Just thought I'd bring this to light since most people don't know that such vehicles exist and what potential they have :smile:

EDIT: Other concept video, this one is American:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjlSJf4274&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Edited by -Martin-

Interesting Martin - at first I thought these were old Soviet Artillery Tractors from the 50's. Like the AT-T and the ATS59.

Might work well on the more "rural" islands.

Chapman

-Martin-, very nice work indeed! I really like the way you guys got it to move sideways. Brilliant!

Abs

Well, I'll be... I didn't know about this and I research marginal tech. Big Thanks on the enlightment :D This thing is just made for Namalsk missions. Wish my Arma 2 PC wasn't two hundred kliks away for a few months more :o

BTW of technical interest, another nice video shows the Fordson Snow Machine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjlSJf4274&NR=1 and some on the Zils,eg.

. Now that I know these things exist I'll be looking for more info on them for sure :)

Thanks Martin,

I love stuff like that.Wonders of soviet engineering. I look forward for more vehicle like this

For a mo there I had a flashback to the old novelty addons of operation flashpoint which pulled apart the slightly odder parts of military research and gave us some truly funky addons -bravo

Super nice vehicle, but could it be possible in a future release to have it in a winter camouflage, it would look perfect in winter warfare enviroments..!

Great release, thanks.

Whoa Martin, you really did this! :) Congratulations on the release, shall be fun :) Will gladly test in the evening for sure!

Super nice vehicle, but could it be possible in a future release to have it in a winter camouflage, it would look perfect in winter warfare enviroments..!

Great release, thanks.

I'm glad you guys like it, I'm planing to make a winter version soon and also the zil-2906, but this comes in a few weeks when I finish Taviana which is very over due.

New on front page at Armed Assault.info

Link to mirror :

Zil - Screwdrive (v 1.0) : http://www.armedassault.info/index.p...addons&id=1701

Thanks Old Bear :ok:

What's the fuel economy like on this sort of thing?

Well its Russian so not much, I don't know what kind of engine they used in this but I would say at least something like the ZIL-130 has maybe even two engines.

Edited by -Martin-

Mate looks great.. Nice to see a break from the ususal run of addons... The spice of gameplay looking forward to getting home to try it...

snip

Sorry, but i assumed it would not perform much better than tracked vehicles, also i think it would destroy streets, therefore imho, it isn't a practical design, but great props to you for making it, the commanding vehicles inside is just amazing :eek:

hehe, interesting addon. It's nice to see something "different" for a change.

=^.^=,,,

Look at this.

It goes through terain whre even modern tanks would get stuck. It seems ideal for use in deep snow. mud and swamps. The perfect vehicle for siberia