Sign in to follow this  
Treesmakemelag

Trees makes this game unplayable

i get about 30-60 fps(everything on very high) when running around but when i aim down the scope with an acog or just zooming in on trees my fps drops down to about 20 fps, Making aiming almost impossible. and thats even with Proper very low vegetation also. is there anyway to fix this? Even If i turn everything on very low i get like 200 fps but when i look at trees i drop with about 30-40 fps!

Startup Parameters

-winxp -cpuCount=4 -maxmem=2048 -exThreads=7

Game Version 1.57.76815

Nvidia Control Settings

off

off

off

off

none

off

all

Singe Display

Prefer maximum perfomance

on

allow

perfomance

on

on

off

force off

Spec

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz Quad Core

4 gig ram

nvidia GTS 250 1 Gig

Edited by Treesmakemelag

It's hard to give advice when you don't give any info...system specs? Game version? in-game settings/GPU settings? etc. etc.

Of course the trees are more demanding on hardware than plain desert and few boulders. So what's the point for desperately trying to run the game on Very high settings, when your computer clearly can't handle it and framerate drops to unplayable right at the moment when you run into couple of trees? I'm quite sure you can get decent performance (~30 FPS) by just lowering your gfx to medium/normal...

Maybe he should lower his settigns a little.

Terrain and Object details on Very High?

well, no you can't really fix this. all you can do is turn down settings. the trees kill performance. this is the way the game is. sorry.

Similar issue here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=112646

This has been around for a while, like johncage say's there is not a fix (as such) at the moment but im sure BIS will sort it, seriously you need to look at your overall setting's as mentioned. ArmA 2/OA/PMC/BAF ETC Generally demand's a lot from your system and can be a real pain in the Aspen.

Your frame rates seem very respectable considering there's no overclock, just a suggestion, try changing video memory between default/ high and very high and lower HDR to lowest setting maybe add AA to low, try the different settings and run the bench mark E08 or a set mission just something you can compare each time you change something to get a rough indication of what setting is doing what on your machine. Also try the latest beta patch and defrag your machine...get the latest gfx drivers or one recommended for your card for this game(?), these are not new tricks but they work for some including me.

If none of this works try jumping up and down on your gfx card a few time's to warm it up...always gave me great result's :D.

Edited by KrIxXuS

when i aim down the scope with an acog or just zooming in on trees my fps drops down to about 20 fps, Making aiming almost impossible.

Thats nothing, You don't wanna know how many times I am killing AI with just 8 to 10 fps lol. I am so used to it now that I automatically adjust to the lag and still kick behind. :D

that's weird. I actually find my FPS to spike all the way up to 60 when I zoom with any scope or iron sights.(I have vsync enabled and everything on Very High. View Distance 4500). Even if I'm in the middle of Cherno with all hell breaking loose or in the middle of the forest.

Turn your SHADOWS and HDR down a bit mate... you don't have the hardware to run those at full tilt. Turn HDR to normal and SHADOWS to medium.

I would try:

Texture Detail: Normal

Video Memory: Default

Anio Filtering: Normal

AntiAliasing: Disabled

Terrain Detail: High

Objects Detail: Normal

Shadow Detai: Normal

HDR Quality: Normal

Post Processing: Disabled

Edited by rexehuk

Turn your SHADOWS and HDR down a bit mate... you don't have the hardware to run those at full tilt. Turn HDR to normal and SHADOWS to medium.

Exactly. Wasn't it for the Shadow-setting like:

Shadows:

low= calculated by the CPU

med= calculated by the CPU

high= calculated by the GPU

v.high= calculated by the GPU

If this is the case (and I remember it right), with the authors HW-settings I would also try lower settings for shadows, because the GPU is the bottleneck here.

Trees do cause lower performance though.

It'd be great if an addon maker made a replacement pack with low quality trees :)

Even If i turn everything on very low i get like 200 fps but when i look at trees i drop with about 30-40 fps!

The most important settings regarding the tree performance is the "3D resolution". Try to lower it to something like 1280x1024 or even lower, and you should see a significant performance increase. If you will enable Antialising to Normal or Higher, hopefully you will still find the image quality reasonable, with little hit on performance - the resulting image will be "blurred" a little bit, but it should not be "jaggy".

So Suma, the question is:

Can You guys do something with it, so ppl with wider monitors then 1280x1024 doesn't need to damage their eyes?

Dunno, maybe even a new option just for the trees...

(my game runs well on different settings until Takistani trees show up in a greater number then 3 - with ACOG it's unplayable - 8 to 12 fps!)

Check this out to tune your performance. Some of the downloads, like ProperProjects work really well:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73947

Trees do cause lower performance though.

It'd be great if an addon maker made a replacement pack with low quality trees :)

Already done. I use the following extensively on my system (a Core Duo 2.4 GHz CPU, 4 Gb RAM) with good results. Getting all the bits together can be a bit of a chore:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=85739

Edited by MissionCreep

If you think the Takistan trees are bad, try the famous Orange trees of Chernarus.

I was actually referring to the orange/red trees of death.

There are performance issues with Arma for sure.. Foliage, Buildings and Client FPS loss on heavily loaded multiplayer servers. But you can make the game run a bit better simply by turning Very high; Objects, Terrain and HDR to Normal. Once you have done that, put AF to its highest(this cost nothing on your card) and AA to low for a boost in image quality without a serious loss of FPS in any particular area.