Sign in to follow this  
minimalaco

Realtime immersive - Militar simulator cryengine

Because people think for some reason that the quality of engine is measured by the amount of shaders per pixel.

Through all of their existence CryTek developed nothing but beautiful, but unrealistic looking, tech-demos. Hiring a developer that can't make anything apart from shaders to do a serious game is naturally a mistake.

shaders/pixel? really? i never heard of that thing before you posted...maybe you should look on your favorite search engine what a shader is...

now the bubu part:

crytek develops (in fact developed(past tense) a game engines - cryengine3). Crytek has nothing to do with the development of said "serious games".

more on the subject. There are more specific applications that are required/requested by the military, and that VBS2 does NOT cover. So while you and others might think that is direct competitor for BIA (which would actually be a good thing for the market), it might as well NOT be aimed at the same thing in the end.

And if GFX wouldn't count at all, why would BI update VBS2 to a newer iteration of the engine -RV3?- in the first place?

because RV3 offers more than RV2 not just by graphics definition ...

shaders/pixel? really? i never heard of that thing before you posted...maybe you should look on your favorite search engine what a shader is...

now the bubu part:

crytek develops (in fact developed(past tense) a game engines - cryengine3). Crytek has nothing to do with the development of said "serious games".

Apart from owning RT Immersive and making their simplistic engine you mean?

more on the subject. There are more specific applications that are required/requested by the military, and that VBS2 does NOT cover. So while you and others might think that is direct competitor for BIA (which would actually be a good thing for the market), it might as well NOT be aimed at the same thing in the end.

As I've said earlier it may as well turn into another America's Army aimed at BF and CoD kids to show them army through pink glasses for recruiting purposes since thus far CryEngine isn't good for anything else.

And if GFX wouldn't count at all, why would BI update VBS2 to a newer iteration of the engine -RV3?- in the first place?

And compared to RV2 RV3 has nothing new but graphics? Ironically you've just proven my point.

This looks interesting -

aKeo619b0aM&feature=related

So CryEngine allows soldiers to fire their weapons with HUGEASS MUZZLE FLASHES thus far? Impressive

That VBS2 has nothing on it

It's like no matter what they do with CryEngine it still shouts "I'm an arcade game" at you through all those purely hollywoodish details

Also the most useless motion capture application I've seen. What's the point when you can't move anywhere you wish?

Edited by metalcraze

This looks interesting -

[YOUTUBE]aKeo619b0aM&feature=related[YOUTUBE]

So CryEngine allows soldiers to fire their weapons with HUGEASS MUZZLE FLASHES thus far?

Its also nothing new. VBS2 has been doing it, and been actually used by the USMC, for over a year now...

(as I've said many a time, google the USMC "FITE" program.)

I think he must mean render passes per pixel, or something like display computations per pixel, or some such thing. At the end of the day the actual technical term is not really essential to his argument. All he's saying is the richness of the images the engine produces is excessive for the application being discussed, and even out of proportion for realistic images in general.

Apart from owning RT Immersive and making their simplistic engine you mean?

RTI is not the only one that licensed Cry Engine

As I've said earlier it may as well turn into another America's Army aimed at BF and CoD kids to show them army through pink glasses for recruiting purposes since thus far CryEngine isn't good for anything else.

There are a lot more military applications besides the ones for people preferring other games than yourself, as you generic call them "COD and BF kids" showing your wisdom and maturity with every new post you make...

And compared to RV2 RV3 has nothing new but graphics? Ironically you've just proven my point.

good lord...what have i done....:icon_rolleyes:

I think he must mean render passes per pixel, or something like display computations per pixel, or some such thing. At the end of the day the actual technical term is not really essential to his argument.

I know what is he was trying to say, but then again, he is the kind that talks without knowing what he is on about, because he thinks it sounds...impressive.

All he's saying is the richness of the images the engine produces is excessive for the application being discussed, and even out of proportion for realistic images in general.

depends on your definition of richness. The simplest images can easily be richer than the overlydone ones

depends on your definition of richness. The simplest images can easily be richer than the overlydone ones

I guess in this instance, we're talking about richness inherent in the rendering technique or art direction that would not be present in real life under similar circumstances, or that is excessive to adequately convey the information needed for training purposes.

So CryEngine allows soldiers to fire their weapons with HUGEASS MUZZLE FLASHES thus far? Impressive

That VBS2 has nothing on it?

The video is a real-time motion capture demonstration using Cryengine, it's not the Dismounted Soldier Training System so no point comparing it to VBS2.

It's like no matter what they do with CryEngine it still shouts "I'm an arcade game" at you through all those purely hollywoodish details?

So far Realtime Immersive Inc. haven't stated that any of the technology demonstrations showcasing the CryEngine software development kit contain footage of the new Dismounted Soldier Training System, keep in mind that Realtime Immersive Inc. support many different CryEngine Lisensees in the simulation market.

I think it would be prudent to wait until we actually see the new Dismounted Soldier Training System in action before we can compare it to VBS2.

The video is a real-time motion capture demonstration using Cryengine, it's not the Dismounted Soldier Training System so no point comparing it to VBS2.

Except, as I already said, VBS has been doing it independantly of the DSTS for more than a year (if not 2) now, so this is neither anything new nor exciting....

Except, as I already said, VBS has been doing it independantly of the DSTS for more than a year (if not 2) now, so this is neither anything new nor exciting....

Personally I think the CryEngine 3 graphics quality is exeptionally good and that is why I posted the video, perhaps this is the graphical quality we can expect to see in the new Dismounted Soldier Training System?

Iv'e noticed that some very well known companies such as Cubic Defense Applications and AVT simulation were demonstrating the CryENGINE 3 engine at I/ITSEC 2011 during November and December, AVT simulation is currently working on the Dismounted Soldier Training System.

Then again, graphics alone won't make you win any battle.

Some of the companies associated with the new Dismounted Soldier Training System are very much experienced with VBS2, I'm sure they must have a valid motive to experiment with new technology.

Hi all

So the US Army spends 50 million dollars was it, for a developer license? Where they then get charged cost plus to run a research project into whether they can use the CRY engine to do what VBS is already doing better. So tax payers paying for more pork. All of which is just more bridge to nowhere.

versus

VBS for 17 million dollars for a product that was training soldiers out of the box from day one.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

I noticed that Intelligent Decisions mentioned the new DSTS would include features such as atmospheric light propogation,light scattering, movie-quality scene lighting, expressions for fear, anger and aggression and visual elements such as footprints and disturbed soil and grass.

Perhaps it could be useful for IED detection training?

I noticed that Intelligent Decisions mentioned the new DSTS would include features such as atmospheric light propogation,light scattering, movie-quality scene lighting, expressions for fear, anger and aggression and visual elements such as footprints and disturbed soil and grass.

I know that at OTCMan (Dutch Army training center) they are experimenting with ultrasound to multiply the fear factor without using any kind of graphical or movie-like gimmicks. And this is a plugin for VBS (and soon VBS2).

It sure will make a nice

, not sure about IED through. Edited by 4 IN 1

VBS2 2.0 is at hand, and it's a good thing, but I guess BIS and BIA are seeing the weight of graphics in today's market, afterall.

The market is demanding it, no one can deny that, but for what use I'm not sure yet. I see the military simulation focus is starting to change (or to get more ample, who knows), inlcuding now graphic fidelity (or, if not achievable, at least graphic immersion) in it's agenda.

well there is is graphics and graphics ...

soldiers to be occupied by "glaring reflection in droplet of water caused by godray sunshaft from flying bird" :D

well there is is graphics and graphics ...

soldiers to be occupied by "glaring reflection in droplet of water caused by godray sunshaft from flying bird" :D

Nailed it ;)

I doubt the reason the Army is interested in using CryEngine 3 is for gratuitous graphics, features such as AI and high fidelity animations are far more important than eyecandy.

4KWwk1jCyU0&feature=related

How are high fidelity animations not eyecandy? Soldiers practice 'animations' in real life, not a game.

And what did the AI demonstrate in that video? They move in that environment like any other mainstream shooter bots, with some flavor dialog and a hand signal thrown in the mix. They stack up and rush the room is all.

Any player would have shot them to pieces when they take the blind corners, split up and spray while running.