Sign in to follow this  
minimalaco

Realtime immersive - Militar simulator cryengine

How are high fidelity animations not eyecandy? Soldiers practice 'animations' in real life, not a game.

First let me point out that the new Dismounted Soldier Training System is not a game. Intelligent Decisions have already stated that one of the goals of the new DSTS is to provide the Army with a fully immersive environment with a sense of realism. Have you not noticed some of the shoddy VBS2 animations, particularly when turning on the spot?

And what did the AI demonstrate in that video?.

Have you ever seen multiple BIS AI move and behave like that indoors?

Any player would have shot them to pieces when they take the blind corners, split up and spray while running.

The test scenario in the video was created in the free sandbox editor that comes with Crysis 2 by a casual gamer. Professional simulation studios are currently using the same technology to work on the new DSTS.

RTI is not the only one that licensed Cry Engine

If by "licensed" you mean being owned by Cevat Yerli then yes. And because of that each video looks like Yerli's Crysis Modern Warfare.

There are a lot more military applications besides the ones for people preferring other games than yourself, as you generic call them "COD and BF kids" showing your wisdom and maturity with every new post you make...

So what's the application of this one? There are multiple videos and none show who this is aimed at and what does it do. If I didn't know what it is I would've thought it's CryTek's take on CoD or a mocap software.

If you will script them like that they will - because that's what happens in the video. However military isn't interested in AI that behaves the same in the exactly same places all the time due to CoD-grade scripts.

Crysis AI is quite dumb without the helping hand of a scripter - they will always blindly charge you and die in hundreds.

The test scenario in the video was created in the free sandbox editor that comes with Crysis 2 by a casual gamer. Professional simulation studios are currently using the same technology to work on the new DSTS.

DSTS is not using CryEngine anymore. They quickly switched to VBS2.

But I thought CryEngine was like superadvanced cuz it got DX12

Edited by metalcraze

DSTS is not using CryEngine anymore. They quickly switched to VBS2.

Your confused. The Army is currently using VBS2 for Dismounted Soldier Training System, but at the moment Intelligent Decisions are spearheading development of a newer version of the Dismounted Soldier Training System that will use CryEngine 3 to enhance training fidelity and realism. Realtime Immersive is working alongside AVT Simulations to create the databases.

They were saying that they were using CryEngine in spring.

Then by the end of 2011 they bring out DSTS on VBS2.

They say DSTS is to be deployed in the beginning of 2012.

Doesn't look like CryEngine will be used anywhere in DSTS in a near future.

With VBS2 2.0 rolling out CryEngine loses even its "look at teh graphx" card apart from which it has nothing.

They say DSTS is to be deployed in the beginning of 2012.

Yes that's correct.

Doesn't look like CryEngine will be used anywhere in DSTS in a near future.

Can you provide a link? or are you trolling...

First let me point out that the new Dismounted Soldier Training System is not a game. [

/quote]

It is is a game. Or simulator, or whatever. In the training of soldiers, it serves the purpose of a game, and nothing more.

I have seen the AI in Unreal Tournament move and behave like that indoors.

It is is a game. Or simulator, or whatever. In the training of soldiers, it serves the purpose of a game, and nothing more..

Sorry perhaps I should have clarified. What I mean is that it won't be available to gamers, it is strictly a military training tool.

I have seen the AI in Unreal Tournament move and behave like that indoors.

Have you seen VBS2 AI move and behave like that indoors?

Have you seen VBS2 AI move and behave like that indoors?

Are you a parrot?

I've never seen them move much of anywhere, just some ads for Xaitment, which makes them move naturally indoors.

Once again, the AI in that video does nothing CoD 4 NPCs couldn't do. So why did you post it?

These are natural movements -

bbTm6Bc1rFs

VBS2 movements look very robotic in my opinion.

You shouldn't have posted another video.

You really don't see the incredibly low fps of those 'high fidelity' animations? I can see multiple frames at once, blurred back projections and other weird shit. They are strobe-lighting.

ROFL @ 0:10-0:15 Human legs DO NOT do that. They look like some sort of boneless amphibian marionette.

I know Crysis has some good animations (as this has anything to do with the engine). So why are you posting this crap?

I know Crysis has some good animations (as this has anything to do with the engine). So why are you posting this crap?

Both Realtime Immersive and Crysis 2 are using Cryengine 3, didn't you read the thread title. :rolleyes:

You misunderstand. You can make a detailed animation in any engine. Even Minecraft. So your videos, which you posted like they were some sort of retort, are pointless.

You misunderstand. You can make a detailed animation in any engine. Even Minecraft. So your videos, which you posted like they were some sort of retort, are pointless.

I posted those particular videos to demonstrate some CryEngine 3 capabilities, they seem well suited to the topic of dismounted infantry simulation using CryEngine 3. In my personal opinion they make VBS2 animations seem rather outdated.

VBS2 animations are awful; that's no secret.

But your video showcases nothing that CoD4 can't do.

Which, is, curiously enough, exactly what everything else has been saying in this thread:

There's no evidence that the Cryengine simulator is anything but a prettier Modern Warfare game.

Now quit ignoring the meaning, as opposed to the words, of everyone else's posts and acknowledge it.

So what if COD4 has something good in it - many suck ass games have a quality or two that are good tho Ive never played that one.

From the little I read on those video notes, the modder was playing with AI flowcharts to create pretty decent CQB assault. It doesn't seem scripted in the sense that the soldiers are all going to their set cover points tho it obviously wasn't Swat4 smooth either.

Point being, I'd hella want something similar in our series and if it ever does make an appearance, it will most like be rudimentary as well - worlds better then what we currently have for interior combat.

Hi all

After the US tax payer paid over 50 million dollars for the license to develop the CRY engine, I really don't get that by the way, the US tax payer now has to pay the primes cost plus to run research projects into whether the CRY engine is good enough to use as a training tool. Before paying more cost plus to develop the CRY engine into a training test environment then, even more cos plus to make training test environment a small scale training environment and then more cost plus to deploy it.

And then repeat all this for each separate training project the CRY engines prime partners want to bid for with little or no chance, due to the development environment of the CRY engine, that any one of these separate and disparate projects will ever interoperate with each other.

All controlled by the primes and charged at dear old cost plus

No wonder the US tax payer is Crying.

Where as VBS licences by the whole US Army for 17 million dollars worked out of the box and was trainning US Army soldiers from the day they bought the license. Oh and it was the officers, training sergeants and soldiers are the ones who design their own training environments based on their experiences.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Were you there when they took it out of the box and it worked? Maybe it didn't work. Based on the BIS games I've taken out of the box, I'd guess it almost certainly didn't. Maybe it doesn't work convincingly enough in CQB, MOUT etc to this day and that's why they licence CE.

After the US tax payer paid over 50 million dollars for the license to develop the CRY engine

In 2008 the U.S. spent $900 billion in direct costs on the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. The military budget breakdown for 2012 was estimated to be $1.030 - $1.415 trillion.

Damn..what a waste. Money is being wasted in plenty of other areas though, it is a very sad system.

I could see CE3 being handy for various terrain types since you can make it and adjust it on the fly, likewise you can make all sorts of basic areas with the "quick" shapes and getting assets into the game is far quicker and more simple than A2 and most likely VBS2, more or less you model an object, model its collision geometry and tell it where a few things are in the SDK editor (generally a 3D app such as max, maya or other), place the the texture files in a folder with it and import the model, shadows are instantly generated and so on. Likewise you can scale it ingame or add 'props' to form a new thing such as this which is made only of plane meshes, girders and a fence. http://www.crymod.com/uploads/mediapool/rooftop/2.jpg and here is an example of what you can do with the shapes and basic texturing with practice. http://www.crymod.com/uploads/mediapool/cassidy10.jpg

But if the idea is to use it for dynamic MOUT or something then why not just nail some cardboard boxes to the ground and tape others on top of it until you have your obstacles and structures?...poor mans training sure but it's far more practical and doesn't cost millions, not to mention you get REAL training.

Looks like the Navy is also interested in CryEngines photorealistic environments. The webpage has a pdf link to some interesting pics -

http://www.catalystinteractive.com.au/vistis.html

More interesting Crytek military simulation info -

http://www.australiandefence.com.au/news/kbr-to-develop-and-deliver-virtual-training-for-ran

http://www.trainingandsimulationforum.net/News/IndustryNews/news/204?PHPSESSID=92cbb2c188eec4ecdc7c7ee1738a4e7a

These are natural movements -

bbTm6Bc1rFs

VBS2 movements look very robotic in my opinion.

If soldiers were moving through buildings like that IRL their commanders would've had to write many many letters.

And, please, stop confusing heavily scripted cutscene with an actual gameplay.

I believe that CryEngine can do cutscenes like Call of Duty - but now show me the actual gameplay so we will start comparing games, not cutscenes.

And yes VBS2 animations are shit, however nothing stops anyone from mocapping animations and putting them into VBS2.

Can you provide a link? or are you trolling...

Can you provide a link that proves they will suddenly stop using VBS2 and will use CryEngine?

Because considering that they won't just release a VBS2 DSTS and be done with it like some mainstream game developer with some Crysis, they will have to support it for years to come. Deploying something like this every year on a new engine isn't cheap.

Edited by metalcraze

Can you provide a link that proves they will suddenly stop using VBS2 and will use CryEngine?

I have never stated that the Army will discontinue using VBS2.

No but you claimed that CryEngine comes to replace VBS2 in DSTS when in reality the opposite happened.

In fact it was bound to happen, when after years of development RTI still posts nothing but cutscenes with hollywood-ish special effects.

Soldiers don't get trained by watching Michael Bay movies you know.

FYI this is how you demonstrate a serious simulation game:

26k1LxYaAkc

Features, man, features. Not just explosions all the time.

No but you claimed that CryEngine comes to replace VBS2 in DSTS

In January 2012.

So if it comes in january 2012 why do they demonstrate VBS2 in december 2011?

Let me make a really wild guess here - I think one month is not enough to develop a competition to VBS2. Especially considering that they've scrapped CryEngine already once.

I also really want to see that link with the already replaced CryEngine replacing VBS2 again in a few weeks.

Edited by metalcraze