Sign in to follow this  
tom_

The Future of Arma, Chernarus Life?

Who else think BIS should concentrate on a role playing game a la Chernarus Life? They could improve it a lot and make an official game out of it. I really never have experienced such joy, adrenalin and epicness like in this mod, I think there is lot of potential in this mod and this role play type of gaming, just imagine this mod on the full map with 200+ players, pure epicness.

I think the arma series could need some innovation, slowly the addons with just different location settings and more weapons and vehicles and this whole war setting loses its excitement. BIS are masters when it comes to large scale complex realistic multiplayer gaming and chernarus life is the perfect game type for this. I know they could make the most epic game ever out of it, I have seen in Chernarus Life what the engine is capable of and it's symply stunning, who ever played this mod with 30+ players knows what I'm talking about!

Edited by tom_

I'm tempted to say yes, but it would require more and more CPU usage which I highly doubt people would prefer worrying about. If you mean offline as well, then you should check out the Celery GTA 4 mod. It shows how costly of your computer it is xD

No thanks, I don't like Chernarus Life. I've played it with 30+ people and all it shows me is the engine is capable of massive lag. :p

.... slowly the addons with just different location settings and more weapons and vehicles and this whole war setting loses its excitement.

haha

Friend, IMHO, if you have lost your excitement for the different locations, more weapons and vehicles, and whole war setting... I think you should try a different game. ;)

Don't get me wrong - I think Cherno Life and all the other RPG-style addons are wonderful for the community! People should play the game in the way that brings them the most enjoyment (even if it isn't playing the game much at all, but rather, modding it).

But, if the game is no longer bringing enjoyment, it may not be a matter of changing the game....

I tried it once, on a full server, and absolutely hated it. Out of 1000s of missions I have tried for OFP/Arma/Arma 2, this is maybe the only I would never play again. I played by the rules. I really gave it a shot.

I have nothing against role playing... I have played D&D, Ultima Online, WoW, and so on. Now that stuff doesn't really interest me anymore, but I would never knock it.

The problem is, Chernarus Life is a bit hard to learn for beginners, there is a tutorial on the map tabs, but it's not really good, in the best case you have someone who shows you everything, or you have to learn it by experience and ask others, this can take a bit before you understand how everything works, but once you are in it, it's a mindblowing experience, then it's like gta but without the AI and far more better, just a dinamic city with endless possibilities, as a criminal you can steal cars, rob the bank, rob civs, open a gang, capture gang areas, gang wars with other gangs, car chases with the police, drug dealing, building own hidings in forests and more, just driving arround the city when many players are online and seeing what everything happens is amazing, how I said it's like nothing I experienced before, I suggest you give it a try also when it's not so easy in the begining it's absolutely worth the time.

But, if the game is no longer bringing enjoyment, it may not be a matter of changing the game....

Still love playing arma, especially good coop misison, sadly there are not many servers online, and I have no time for a clan, and after all this epic time with this mod I know it can be improved to an absolutely epic game.

Edited by tom_

I sometimes get bored playing war and want something different but in the same Armaverse.

Maybe an dlc yes I would pay for it but no for a full game,this is still a game about war,not about the challenges starting my tractor and plowing the fields.

Like I said an role play dlc sounds fine because I enjoy diversity in this game,but then I always feel the urge to hop in that Humvee and going ballistic.

they could do millions with this by releasing it as a 9.99€ game and also in the mac appstore that is opening in 2 days :P

i highly doubt that they could make "millions" with that lol

if you like chernarus life, keep playing it, but also a No from me.

what i would really like is that they make the FSM and conversation editing more easy, so people could create more RPG style missions and also for Chernarus Life it would add much possiblities. talking about creating multiple choice dialogues with the AI for example. i tried to get behind it but if youre not a really good scripter and spend many time you cant realize that.

I'd rather not. I play games for escapism, and playing a game to play civilian life isn't that appealing.

Not exactly the right engine for it. Something like Chernarus life would have to model complex social interactions, while physical simulation will have to take a backseat due to limited hardware.

I`ll pass also.RPG`s are not my thing.

It`s an idea that could be given a thought for a dlc though,as someone already mentioned.

Elements from other genres can create interesting results,and Arma has already implement succesfully RTS elements.

-1 for that suggestion here. Try Second Life ;)

Edited by [KH]Jman

I'm afraid it would be a considerable amount of work to make ArmA into a boiling testicles simulator. I mean, the models themselves wouldn't be too hard - a stove, a pot, some water... some testicles... maybe a magnifying glass.

But the scripting would be tricky. There would be arguments about how fast water boils at altitude, whether a pinch of salt should be added, the relative merits of adding olive oil to the water, etc.

Not to mention how to determine when the testicles are boiled enough! And the AI would probably have a completely inappropriate response.... ick.

It might be suited to some sort of DLC, but.... I just don't see it happening.

I would rather boil my own testicles.

Isn't that part of the mission already? I didn't make it that far... I got stuck at the banging my head against the wall task.

With ARMA engine and its netcode, no thanks. I tried playing Chernarus Life a few times and while it's a cool concept and something I'd be definitely interested in playing, it is borderline unplayable because of the lag. That's with 15-20 people. I can't even imagine what would happen if 200+ people were playing at the same time.