Sign in to follow this  
Second

MultiDiscussion : TES5: Skyrim, BattleField 3, COD, R6 etc.

Favorite comment from the article:

Patrick,

Modding is declining because no one (including Dice) releases mod tools or modding support.

You gimp.

Surely they could have made a better title, on that note what right do these people have to parade their opinions around as fact. We, the customers will decide what is boring and what is not.

I may just have a sour view but when I read about developers saying "this is boring" or "We aren't making it like this because it is boring" I can't help but hear "Don't buy their product buy ours", and get this creepy vibe that they are trying to sway us into believing what they say more.

Edited by NodUnit

Damn, I wish I had been told that before I bought and enjoyed all those sandbox games... Silly me...

OFP & Arma Series, Mafia, Assassin's creed series, GTA...

Large maps != sandbox.

Essentially the DICE guys seem to be trying to justify their game design decisions by saying "but this is what everyone wants!". Not that they need to justify anything - both sandbox and heavily streamlined gameplay (and everything inbetween) has its merits in my opinion, so I really don't get what they are trying to achieve with these statements.

DICE is struggling to sell the dumbed down consolizedpath the Battlefield series has taken to PC users who they know aren't falling for their bullshit.

It's the main reason the fled their own forums to Twatter and Failbook.

BF3 is probably going to be Bad company 2.5 - Larger maps, planes and choppers.

Even the Battlefield Play 4 Free game is a mixture of BF2 and Bad company.

I'm not yet so sure that the PC version will be "consolized". Call me an idealist, but I still refuse to believe that all AAA game developers are going down the easy road of multiplatform development by dumbing down their PC version along with the console versions. DICE and Valve both get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Innocent until proven guilty. :)

Valve = good

DICE = bad

Cheers, Medal of Bullshit MP.

I wouldn't doupt Nvidia and ATI has had a few private words with developers about console ports seeing as it effects their sales of new cards.

I HOPE they did or will eventually.

Large maps != sandbox.

Essentially the DICE guys seem to be trying to justify their game design decisions by saying "but this is what everyone wants!". Not that they need to justify anything - both sandbox and heavily streamlined gameplay (and everything inbetween) has its merits in my opinion, so I really don't get what they are trying to achieve with these statements.

Rather than knock one though they really should consider using both sandbox and linear missions to get the best of both worlds. I'm reminded of the BF2 special forces expansion, I cannot remember the name but the map revolved around a missile launching facility which had many points of entry through a varied terrain. However once you get in it becomes close quarters and very linear however it wasn't a bad thing.

There was also the carrier level mostly linear and a two maps where you had to defend or take hold of warehouses at night, they were more than just structures placed there as light props but rather became part of the level in full.

Just incorporate something like that into the campaign and you get interest from both groups.

Edited by NodUnit

The more i see of BF3 the less i want it. BF2 was a great game, heck even it's single player kicked Dragon Risings ass a few times.

Now it looks like COD/MW :(

DICE is just trying to hide the fact that Consoles will never be able to have BF2 sized maps with those graphics on a stupid console, so they say Sandbox is boring, and now there design path is that of Call of Duty, Small restricted maps to fit within a less than 500mb Ram limit.

Im worried about the future of Battlefield.

I'm more concerned about them dumbing down the gameplay because of console controllers and appealing to the COD crowd.

They're removing the commander because according to DICE it was too complicated

for most people to understand and use.

http://bf3blog.com/2011/02/battlefield-3-wont-include-commander-feature/

A couple more comments from Patrick Bach that gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

“how do you get the threshold lower?â€

"Our challenge is to make sure that anyone that just jumps into the game will get it."

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Couple more scenes from SP near the end. Planes and tanks.

TfrrAp1blaM

Slowed down 0.25x

cCEtr_R6GOA

Animated GIF's

Vaulting

http://h-2.abload.de/img/climbq9u1.gif

Jets

http://h-2.abload.de/img/jetslb2w.gif

Leap from cliff

http://h-2.abload.de/img/jumpskbxt.gif

Edited by jblackrupert

I sure hope they don't continue down this path, having games for everyone is fine and all but when it comes to the point that every game is accessible to everyone it loses what made it unique and most likely great in the first place.

The more crowds you try to please the more you remove from it, the more mediocre the experience for everyone..it sure would be nice if companies would stop trying to base their games around the whole COD success thing, the only reason it is shaping modern shooters is because they let it, there was nothing special about MW2.

I sure hope they don't continue down this path, having games for everyone is fine and all but when it comes to the point that every game is accessible to everyone it loses what made it unique and most likely great in the first place.

The more crowds you try to please the more you remove from it, the more mediocre the experience for everyone..it sure would be nice if companies would stop trying to base their games around the whole COD success thing, the only reason it is shaping modern shooters is because they let it, there was nothing special about MW2.

But they have to. it's all about money. AAA games are now so expensive to make that if they want to make money they have to get a million+ sales. so they need to attract everyone they can. Homefront is a indicator of this. seen how the cut a large amount of staff after release.

then you also have to keep in mind that EA has become obsessed with taking the shooter crown from cod and Activision. after the problems with black ops i wouldn't be surprised if they did.

I have never played BF2. but i did play the demo for 1942. And buy BF2 but i was young and my computer couldn't run it. Didn't rebuy it when I could. did play it on Xbox though.

What sucks:

- next CoD

- made of other already seen trailers, just extended

- only the last scenes are worth watching

- even amongst them, YOU HAVE A COD TRIBUTE ZOMG

PS: oh, now I noticed. There's a gif of the cod tribute in the post above.

Edited by JonPL
ok, i take back the "played on console" part

All videos released of Battlefield 3 so far have been on the PC, including that one.

Hopefully when the MP footage and screens appear it'll be 100% realtime, no super AA effects added bullshit like they did with most of the BC2 stuff.

Gordon Van Dyke the producer on BC2 admitted after lots of suspicion by keen eyed viewers that most footage and screens was Xbox360 material that was cleaned up

using some kind of 3rd party "Super AA" process and Photoshopped to removed all traces of aliasing and other defects.

Full 1080P version of the 12 minute trailer [1.77GB]

http://static.cdn.ea.com/eagl_online/u/f/bf3/noise/vids/Battlefield_3_Fault_Line_Full_Trailer.zip

http://www.fileplanet.com/219665/210000/fileinfo/Battlefield-3-'Fault-Line'-Complete-12-Minute-HD-Gameplay-Footage

Total bitrate 21047kbps

Audio bitrate 125kbps

Channels 2 <------------ Sucks

Audio sample rate 48kHz

Edited by jblackrupert

Some on the UK forum spotted some early DICE Trickiness.

They removed the WASD display on screen when your dragging the soldier

and then blured out the the key you push to disarm the bomb.

http://img3.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/9480/9480143b474c9b61cc1951991183a110ec37c6b.jpg

More the likely to fool the console kids into believing it could be console footage.

12 minute trailer with commentary by Patrick Bach that says nothing new that you can't see just watching.

WgHb9gD7TDs

Edited by jblackrupert