• mouth to mouth advertising
    • you tube or other video sites
    • friends
    • Reviews on dedicated gamer magazines
    • Forum of other videogames
    • never heard of . . . was a blind purchase
    • other . . . please specify

Hi all

browsing lately through the forum I noticed more and more new community members. A lot of new people have signed up to the forum. The BI community is definitely growing, which I do personally welcome. I would say that the massive posting and uploading of ArmAverse videos on You tube and other video sites has definitely done it's part to draw the attention of new players.

I would like to ask some of our new members how they came to know about BIS games in the first place. Which advertising method draw your attention to the games.

I found out about OFP throughout a friend.

I set up this poll because I would like to know which advertising method is the most effective. It is just my personal curiosity, moreover it might help BIS to understand which method keeps growing their fan base the most.

thanks for your kind replies

browsing lately through the forum I noticed more and more new community members. A lot of new people have signed up to the forum. The BI community is definitely growing,
but and others leave the community without unregistering.

For me it's easier to track activity on polish forums and I would say that the community (at least polish one) is not growing, it decreases

I played a demo of OFP which came on a cover of PC Gamer to which feels like 500 million years ago, been hooked ever since.

For me it's easier to track activity on polish forums and I would say that the community (at least polish one) is not growing, it decreases

Same for german. There´s some newbies, mainly drawn with OA and now asking questions why they cannot join A2OA Warfare servers. Not much to be expected communitywise from that niche imho.

The "old guard" is grasping at straws.

When i was little, dad let me have a go on his OFP, been hooked ever since :)

I have a friend who knows precisely about my "eccentric" taste in games (that is; I didn't like COD and Halo much, prefered lots of realism and couldn't stand games that wouldn't let the player different ways to approach challenges and were linear, hence not liking Half Life too much either). So when he played the demo, he immediately knew I'd like the game, so he showed me the demo and I loved it. Went out and bought ArmA2 the next day.

I played a demo of OFP which came on a cover of PC Gamer to which feels like 500 million years ago, been hooked ever since.

lol ... same.

The "old guard" is grasping at straws

It goes up, it comes down, it goes up, comes down ............ its been doing this for how many years now?

And how many still play and stay involved in a community of some of the other "finished in 2 hours" games from a year or 2 back.

I noticed recently that 3 of the top 5 posters haven't posted in over 2 years and yet no one has really caught up to them. I'm not sure if I should take that as a good or bad sign. I do miss The Avon Lady though. I haven't been coming here as much for the past 6 months or so either.

Codemasters gave BIS a big boost in publicity with their Epic failure that was Dragon Rising

also Youtube most arma 2 videos have more than 20k views

I'll chime in here and say that PC Gamer US also had a OFP demo on their CD and that's what got me hooked on this game (series). Does feel like a lifetime ago.

I know the question is aiming at newcomers but I'll never forget my first meeting with ofp.

It was during summer holidays, there were a preview in a video magazine.

I remember lying on my bed staring at pictures for hours (litteraly) reading and reading again the same preview.

I was so excited I knew this game was what I was looking for for years.

Didn't even tried the demo, bought the game as soon as I could, a few months later

I kinda miss that excitement, what ofp offered was really something new, never seen before. I think I'll never forget that moment.

I guess some newcomers feels the way now with ArmA 2, I envy them.

Edited by Macadam Cow

Hi all

That OFP Demo disk same as others said.

played it and played it and played it played it and played it played it and played it played it and played it played it and played it played it and played it played it and played waiting for the game to come out. I did it so many ways that in the end I completed the mission on my own killing every one of the enemy AI for zero losses my side. I drove the car south of Houdan and left the captain? there. Then ninjaed my way up to where the tanks were based in the next town, killed the crew and the infantry stole a tank and used it to kill everything else including the shilka that shoots the helo down in the mission as set. I also completed it as purely an infantry man blowing up all the tanks and IFVs with RPGs.

And of course I drove all round the island sightseeing for days on end, just like everyone else back in the day.

But the thing that realy hooked me was the full version with the editor.

Kind Regards walker

mouth to mouth advertising sounds unsanitary

I bet if it would be a beautiful girl you would think otherwise. LOL:D

kind regards

The way I got into the community was a simple yet stupid way.

I did a search on arma with google and at the bottom where it gives you the other related searches it said "arma mod" then I got a lot of modding websites.

So Basically I got into the community by Google. Damn you Google!!!!

The way I got into the community was a simple yet stupid way.

I did a search on arma with google and at the bottom where it gives you the other related searches it said "arma mod" then I got a lot of modding websites.

So Basically I got into the community by Google. Damn you Google!!!!

Didnt you Bing it? ;)

I saw it posted on another forum. They planned on starting a clan, and after watching a few youtube videos I was more than impressed. Didn't get the game for a few months later but MAN when I got it I was impressed.

Actually remember noticing a whole page ad in US PC Gamer a whopping year before the release of OFP. Back then it was still called FLASH POINT. Actually, if anyone has a link to à scan of such an ad, it will be wildly appreciated.

Edited by Soul_Assassin
Damn autocorrect

Saw it in PC Gamer, suggested it to a bunch of the lads at school that we purchase it for use in the boarding house.

Got talked down in favour of some shouse bodyboarding game, so I went and bought it myself. Never looked back.

I wonder what happened to that bodyboarding game - god it was terrible.

I wonder what happened to that bodyboarding game - god it was terrible.

Developers are probably developing training simulators for the pro bodyboarding industry - no doubt.