Sign in to follow this  
Litos

Community Awards 2010?

Exactly the same discussions we had last year. And probably the year before too.

And it will be the same next year and then the upcoming year and so on if nothing changes.

Right now people can vote already multiple times which means that the whole voting system is reduced to absurdity.

The current com awards are a farce again, sorry to be so harsh, but that's exactly what they are, like every year.

Xeno

Exactly the same discussions we had last year. And probably the year before too.

It's obvious that SARMAT is able to mobilize it's fans better than the rest of the community can. That's called democracy and by reading the comments here I think a lot of people seem to have a problem with understanding how democracy and voting works. I fear the worst for the future of mankind.

That would be a very good idea, but only members with a certain postcount can vote, else we have a registration flood and thousands of dead members once the voting is done. At least it would reduce the 'cheating' possibilities.

How about accounts made a month prior to the polls being opened and have 25+ posts can vote? That'd help I think.

I don't understand all these rants. Looks like a matter of life and death for some.

M'I missing something, is there a $100.000 price for every winner ?

In my opinion there's not such a thing as "best mod/addon of the year", "best mission", "best video",...they're all completing each other. I love the ACE mod but it's completely senseless to say it's somehow better than mando missiles, WarFX or Hifi.

It doesn't make any sense to put all these in the same category and IMHO it wouldn't make more sense to put them in different categories.

Why do we always need organise things into a hierachy ? Why should we always prefer ONE thing among all the others ? Why do we always speak in terms of best, better, worst,...Can't we just enjoy them for what they are ? Free content made by dedicated people...

I mean all this award thing makes 1 (well 5) people happy and leave the others with disapointment.

I didn't vote and don't you dare say to me that I'm not supporting this community, I find way more insulting to say THIS is the best user made content of this year, THIS deserves to be nominated, that not.

We're all here to have fun, remember ? If the movie or the music industry finds important to do such a thing, well, good for them, but I don't see why we would need to put addons maker into comptetion.

German will most likely vote for german stuff, Russian for russian, French for French,...

What do you think the guys at SARMAT think when they see this thread ? Do you think it will motivate them to make more public addons ?

No matter what happened in the past, no matter it's a simple port a model made from scratch, if I was in their shoes that's sure I would say "f*ck them" and I'd go underground.

SARMAT is just an example. You organise a contest, people vote, then when the results are released and whiners come and say "oh, why this got nominated and why not that ?"

I don't see how this could bring any form of respect/thanks to addon makers.

This Community awards doesn't unite, it divides us

Edited by Macadam Cow

i guess we could agree that these awards need vast improvement? will it happen? probably not.

Your all winners. Congratulations.

Problem solved.

Bob.Dob: emm did I miss something, is your stuff already released?

People voted for Operation Reality for Best Community Website.

Sarmat are cheaters because they (I'm guessing here) post on there forums "hey everyone please go vote for us in the BIS Community awards and get your friends/relatives to vote"?

So that means BIS are cheaters because we put up a pinned thread in here asking you to vote for BIS games in various GOTY awards? Well thanks, it's good to know the contempt you hold us in :(

What you're saying is basically "Hey guys, please follow this link to blindly vote for us in a competition without any knowledge of the other guys whatsoever. And take your friends/relatives with you." That's biasing. Of course, people should critically judge for themselves. But believe me, some will do it blindly.

This is just a reaction to your post, I'm definitely not saying that Sarmat did anything like that (because I don't know).

Maybe its us who are the cheaters. There is 4 english community missions, but only 1 from russian community. I think the all 5 deserve their place there and congrats for the makers.

btw. Would it be possible to see the top 20 of the most voted missions? I would like to see if any of my stuff got there or did I fail badly. ;)

The 'Arma community' is much more than just those who visit these forums.

Nah you didnt fail in my book SaOk. Great missions mate. ;)

ORC been around for a long time and done a good work as a team so thats cool. Of course it is rather hard to vote when theres so many talented awesome people in this community. Many deserves a medal (or 10). :)

The system is flawed. This is the problem.

If everyone would be aware the the "nomination" was actually a vote, everyone would have

rallied their fans, rather to nominate. Obviously now people feel cheated.

Fix the design flaw.

Maybe its us who are the cheaters. There is 4 english community missions, but only 1 from russian community. I think the all 5 deserve their place there and congrats for the makers.

btw. Would it be possible to see the top 20 of the most voted missions? I would like to see if any of my stuff got there or did I fail badly. ;)

this has nothing to do with their country of orgin. awful argument.

Uh, the nomination phase is what any other nomination phase is. You vote to nominate your choice to win each category. Then the votes are tallied up and the nominees are selected thanks to said nomination phase. Then you vote for the top nominees and a winner is selected.

If that is a design flaw, then the Oscars, Grammys, Emmys and Golden Globes suffer from the same flaw. :rolleyes:

Could we still get that list? I would like to know if I skipped some really good mission. Then I could play it.

Just publish the Top20 lists for best mission and best video without order. This would be sweet

If that is a design flaw, then the Oscars, Grammys, Emmys and Golden Globes suffer from the same flaw. :rolleyes:

All of those are chosen by a selected group of people who understand the problematic (at least are supposed to) and are much less likely to vote "blindly". Even that doesn't always stop the bias, like the 2011 Golden Globe nominations.

By voting blindly I mean the sort of thing Placebo mentioned, friends and relatives who know nothing about the game and never played it, those just vote because their friend/relative tells them to. It's commonplace, but that doesn't make it any less wrong.

-Ziggy-;1849282']you are not supporting this community award

:rolleyes: :p

lol...yeah...you can put it that way :p

Uh, the nomination phase is what any other nomination phase is. You vote to nominate your choice to win each category. Then the votes are tallied up and the nominees are selected thanks to said nomination phase. Then you vote for the top nominees and a winner is selected.

So essentially you have to vote twice, and if you have no knowledge or interest in any of the categories you're forced to vote anyway, nominating and voting for things you have no knowledge about? Yes, that sounds flawed to me, regardless of Emmys and whatnot :)

I don't generally get involved with this sort of popularity contest thing, just thought I would chime in ;)

Anyway, congrats to all participants.

Could we still get that list? I would like to know if I skipped some really good mission. Then I could play it.

Just publish the Top20 lists for best mission and best video without order. This would be sweet

Back in the day when the term "Community Awards" still had a meaning to it (i.e. before ArmA1 & on ye olde BI-Forums) there were Exel charts being handed out for people to see how votings came to be. I remember names like Denoir and Avon Lady on the list so it´s really really back in the day :D