Sign in to follow this  
Litos

Community Awards 2010?

590/600 from the arma.at.ua community :) One more year of Sarmat championshit...great...

I can't even find those statistics. Care to share where you got them from?

just read the arma.at.ua comments...and besides it was just a sarcastic observation, why are you baiting?

I'm not baiting, I'm making sure a problem doesn't result from falsified statistics. Your sarcasm wasn't very obvious, otherwise I wouldn't have had to question it.

Wow Sarmat got one thing in each category?

How does BIS check the validity of votes? Like preventing people from voting multiple times.

Sorry to say but the whole thing needs to be vastly improved for the future!

Why is there a vote in second phase, if the "nomination" is already one?

It is obvious to what this flawed practice leads to. Abuse to get into this "top 5".

Also former winners should be excluded - sure they may deserve another mention,

yet as you see the motivation to new guys is surely huge seeing always the same getting onto the list.

Finally there have to be more categories like:

• MOD of the year
  • World of the year
  • Unit/vehicle/weapon of the year
  • AI addon of the year
  • Sound replacement of the year
  • SP mission of the year
  • MP mission of the year
  • New MP game mode of the year
  • Website of the year
  • Video of the year

im not accusing anyone of falsification, sarmat rallied publicly the people from their community to support them (on their news site) and people went and voted. Simple as that...

How does BIS check the validity of votes? Like preventing people from voting multiple times.

From what I just tested, there appears to be an IP check for the voting that prevents you from voting multiple times.

Abuse to get into this "top 5".

What abuse went on? People aren't allowed to campaign for votes?

im not accusing anyone of falsification, sarmat rallied publicly the people from their community to support them (on their news site) and people went and voted. Simple as that...

I wasn't insinuating you were accusing people of falsification, the point was that you posted false statistics regarding how many votes came from which could easily be read as true by those less informed. I can only see 11 comments on the arma.at.ua article about the awards, not 590.

Wow Sarmat got one thing in each category

Just noticed that lol

OT, poor BIS PR guys, get flamed for putting up a contest :p

OT, poor BIS PR guys, get flamed for putting up a contest :p

After almost a decade I'm sure they've gotten used to it. :p

IP Checks aren't very good IMO. I'm sorry if I'm generalizing, but haven't things like the MLOD extractor come from the russian communities?

Anybody with 5 minutes on their hand can change their IP.

Next year, BIS should see about making voting in line with your BIS Forum account. Then they can actively track who voted for what and prevent dummy accounts (just registered, 0 posts) from voting.

I've already suggested tying votes to BI Forums accounts. We'll have to see next year. ;)

Would be nice if the PR guys could get the link to the ACRE thread right though... ;)

Its currently the old one. :)

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Seriously though if a unit pack wins mod of the year... OMG NEW PANTS.

Pants pants pants... (which is about what most unit packs end up being worth).

:p

I am not saying unit packs aren't good, but... lol Compared to a full over-haul mod like ACE (which combines and coordinates many unit authors works) or an Island... :p

I've already suggested tying votes to BI Forums accounts. We'll have to see next year. ;)

That would be a good move.

Seriously though if a unit pack wins mod of the year... OMG NEW PANTS.

Pants pants pants... (which is about what most unit packs end up being worth)

It's all about looking cool on the battlefield. :rolleyes:

With ACE Artillery/R3F and ACRE, looking cool on Lingor will end in shreds with our awesome artillery being called in via radio. :dance1:

12 comments on the current news about this round of voting. much more on the previous announcement about the first round.

I used that kind of system when we had the poll up to win free copies of BAF, if you remember.

Funny thing was, those who tried to cheat (which I filter out easily as I had a custom plugin made for my website to track these kind of people :p ) were actually the ones who had the answers all correct.

While most valid submittions were wrong :eek:

It shouldn't be so hard to implement here as well I think (dont know this forum system though), accounts together with a form which can only be used by registered members will sort this kind of things people worry so much about :)

I used that kind of system when we had the poll up to win free copies of BAF, if you remember.

Funny thing was, those who tried to cheat (which I filter out easily as I had a custom plugin made for my website to track these kind of people :p ) were actually the ones who had the answers all correct.

While most valid submittions were wrong :eek:

It shouldn't be so hard to implement here as well I think (dont know this forum system though), accounts together with a form which can only be used by registered members will sort this kind of things people worry so much about :)

Yeah this needs to take effect for sure.

Also maybe for the nomination phase, BIS themselves, pick 20 from each category (ones they think are good), then we nominate from those to get top 5, then vote from those top 5.

I think people get really lazy when they have to Type in a name and a URL to go with it.

I agree about the suspicion with SARMAT. Sure, you can campaign for votes, technically anyone could, but I think most people seem to hold off on spamming nominations/votes for the sake of fair competition.

I see they got one thing into every category, which is odd, and some examples such as the Epidemic film aren't the most excellent in my humble opinion. Not to sound mean, but I'm personally disappointed that it got the 5th spot and not some of the other excellent videos out there that I'm sure also got plenty of nominations. It feels strange how this happened.

But I hope everything goes fair and truly. Best of luck to everyone!

Edited by Litos

Also maybe for the nomination phase, BIS themselves...

While i actually think (please don't take it personally, BIS, mods or anyone else) that the current community awards categories, the way they are handled and voted on is like taking a piss in a sea of piss, i would never ever involve BIS into nomination process

Please understand that is highly unlikely (not speaking here about transparency or common sense) than bis employees play a lot of their game, or know all the mods/addons released within this community. hence asking for bis to do the nominees is really silly.

on sarmat, no offense, but 90% of the stuff is ported from other games/engines..and i am not sure about permissions either, but that is none of my ptb.

Edited by PuFu

the Sarmat community DOES NOT represent 1/5 of the BIS community, so I fail to see how its fair for each category to have a nomination for a SARMAT contribution or member.

If Sarmat eventually wins more than one category, I call foul. :mad:

Exactly the same discussions we had last year. And probably the year before too.

It's obvious that SARMAT is able to mobilize it's fans better than the rest of the community can. That's called democracy and by reading the comments here I think a lot of people seem to have a problem with understanding how democracy and voting works. I fear the worst for the future of mankind.

That would be a very good idea, but only members with a certain postcount can vote, else we have a registration flood and thousands of dead members once the voting is done. At least it would reduce the 'cheating' possibilities.

Edited by W0lle
Note to myself, it's democracy NOT democrazy...

That would be a very good idea, but only members with a certain postcount can vote, else we have a registration flood and thousands of dead members once the voting is done. At least it would reduce the 'cheating' possibilities.

Thats very easy to do. Just a few clicks.

However, keep in mind this community has hundreds (if not more) people who play this game actively but hardly, if even, post and also not all are visitors of the BI forums. This way you limit the community awards to the BIS forums community awards ;)