Sign in to follow this  
BF2_Trooper

Battle: Los Angeles Trailer

Yeah, so I'd imagine it would be harder for an American movie maker to do something like this with a foreign government.

Well, Eastern Europe is the place for movies on the cheap, and governments are quite quick to loan lots of military equipment. Plus you could probably buy a bunch of old APCs for cheap.

But it's not really the place for alien invasions, unless you're Half-Life 2.

But it's not really the place for alien invasions

I think seeing Russian soldiers defending the Kremlin from aliens would be pretty damn cool, you never see these types of movies shot outside the USA.

Why in the hell anyone would want American filmmakers to make an alien invasion film about non-American pro- or antagonists? In Hollywood they think about the American viewers first, then the rest of the world second. It's just too many people there get too much money to make films, independent on their skills/talents/talentless. And it's highly unlikely to see American protagonists in other films made by other countries, am I right? It's just those films are not always distributed everywhere.

There was a Real video documentary of British and american forces working together in afghanistan. A jet flew over and dropped a jdam on a taliban stronghold. The americn soldiers were jumping around screaming stuff like

"Yeah! get some WOOOOHOO! That's what I'm talking about!!!"

The camera panned to 2 british soldiers still sitting in deck chairs. One lit up a roll up, turned to his mate and calmly said

"so how much did that just cost us?"

Imagine that awesome personality difference in an alien invasion

If I'm right it was a group of taliban prisoner assaulting the northen alliance, and the brits and americans got called over.

I think seeing Russian soldiers defending the Kremlin from aliens would be pretty damn cool, you never see these types of movies shot outside the USA.

Timur Bekmambetov is currently producing a movie about an alien invasion of Moscow called "The Darkest Hour" that should fulfill your wish:

http://www.slashfilm.com/tag/the-darkest-hour/

If I'm right it was a group of taliban prisoner assaulting the northen alliance, and the brits and americans got called over.

That wasn't the JDAM that got dropped ON the Northern Alliance and US specops, was it?

well JDAM are technically cheap bombs with GPS positioned steering upgrade around 20k per piece compared to usually expensive cruise missile costing like 40 times more

also JDAM-ER will be like half the price and 3 times range

anyway the point i want to make ... (next that to cripple our militaries attacker shall blank out global nav systems first)

most of modern MAN vs Aliens movies totally suck on taking capabilities of todays military into account

missile combat in direct sight ? firing 1 by 1 missile (gosh where are multi targeting abilities especially on drones)

no MLRS or enhanced arty barrages (considering the 50+ km range) ?

no high altitude JDAM or w/e guided or unguided bombing ? no multiwarheads? no bomblets? :)

tactical nuclear weaponry (all of 4 main nuclear powers have plenty of them with US the more than rest)

(hell i doubt US scrapped even these rifle nuke nades and arty ammo just for sake of emergency use)

newly developed non nuclear weapons with HMX and ONC replacing low yeild tactical nukes

neutron warheads? navy assets use ? non-nuclear EMP(arty nades, bombs)?

insurgency and guerilla fight in style of pay for each meter

(especially in countries where weapons are available for citizens)

it's sad that with all the military improvements the movies are stuck for most of time in ww1 dogfights and ww2 type of warfare (or worse) ...

must be all these military consultants ...

Edited by Dwarden

I saw the new trailer last night and thought it was pretty awesome. I'm still excited for it. Although I do agree with Dwarden on the modern capabilities issue. The only thing I don't like about it is the typical hollywood every explosion is a giant fireball theme.

Edited by Jakerod

well JDAM are technically cheap bombs with GPS positioned steering upgrade around 20k per piece compared to usually expensive cruise missile costing like 40 times more

also JDAM-ER will be like half the price and 3 times range

anyway the point i want to make ... (next that to cripple our militaries attacker shall blank out global nav systems first)

most of modern MAN vs Aliens movies totally suck on taking capabilities of todays military into account

missile combat in direct sight ? firing 1 by 1 missile (gosh where are multi targeting abilities especially on drones)

no MLRS or enhanced arty barrages (considering the 50+ km range) ?

no high altitude JDAM or w/e guided or unguided bombing ? no multiwarheads? no bomblets? :)

tactical nuclear weaponry (all of 4 main nuclear powers have plenty of them with US the more than rest)

(hell i doubt US scrapped even these rifle nuke nades and arty ammo just for sake of emergency use)

newly developed non nuclear weapons with HMX and ONC replacing low yeild tactical nukes

neutron warheads? navy assets use ? non-nuclear EMP(arty nades, bombs)?

insurgency and guerilla fight in style of pay for each meter

(especially in countries where weapons are available for citizens)

it's sad that with all the military improvements the movies are stuck for most of time in ww1 dogfights and ww2 type of warfare (or worse) ...

must be all these military consultants ...

The reason for this is budget, time, and a director who just doesn't care. Maybe if Michael Mann or Neill Blomkamp were at the helm we might see some kind of realistic military attempt at alien warfare, but most directors, studios, and producers just wanna see OMG EXPLOSIONS to sell the audiences for a spring/summer blockbuster, let alone the writer of the script who just does a DER HUR MILITARY USELESS VS MIGHTY ALIEN WEAPONS which consists of bunch of jets and maybe a nuke.

You'd especially see this if you brought the question to a message full of aspiring filmmakers (Indie, Student, commercial, or be what ever their occupation is within the business) who just have apathy towards the subject of certain levels of realism. There's a lot of people who want realistic sword fights in medieval movies, but you read about people putting together the films just end up not caring and doing what they've been doing since Errol Flynn, with drawn out sword clashing, which while it can be amazing, it has been seen before. The two "Arn" movies are about the only movies that made brief, well done sword combat in recent films, even if the main character seems like some kind of immaculate fighter.

Edited by Steakslim

A couple of rag-tag Marines, Navy Corpsmen and an Air Force Technical Sergeant take down an entire massive alien expeditionary invasion force?

DO WANT.

Now my question is, can we make some mod like this in ARMA 2 CO? :D

My thoughts exactly:

Military SciFi Projects Thread

I have to say I don't see this film as an exercise in American jingoism and flag-waving because I think it's more than that. Yes, it's set in an American city but so what? I don't see the difference seeing Los Angeles, New York or London be decimated. I think one reason why Los Angeles is important is because the aliens themselves are 'water-based'. If you look at the trailer, there's a map of the world on some news channel and you can see coastal areas highlighted. Clearly they're attacking coastal areas first before moving further inland. Maybe water is an important component when it comes to their technology? Cloning? Fusion reactors?

In addition, I think the point of it focusing on Los Angeles is because many of the world's major cities have fallen to the alien aggressors. LA is one of the few remaining 'human' strongholds and so it's vital that it is held. If LA is successfully defended then it would be a powerful symbol of hope and resistance for all mankind. It also might prevent the aliens from making much progress on 'the western front' of the U.S. Perhaps a delaying action so that reinforcements can be brought in from the east.

Check this latest clip:

"Boxed in!"

Check this latest clip:

"Boxed in!"

Keep in mind they always release the good stuff before the movie is released so you'll pay money to go see the movie and then find out you've already seen all the good parts and by the time you figure that out they have about 20 to 30 bucks of your hard earned cash and that's if you're lucky. Some places charge up to 50 to 60 bucks. Edited by Big Mac

Yeah its 6 Euro here so I can afford a bad film, though I have the feeling that this one is going to be good =)

In Canada, you can return your ticket within the first half hour.

Abs

In Canada, you can return your ticket within the first half hour.

Abs

But by that time you've eaten your $10 popcorn and $7 drink. :rolleyes:

But by that time you've eaten your $10 popcorn and $7 drink. :rolleyes:

That's why you bring a chick along with a purse that can hold drinks and snacks. =]

That's why you bring a chick along with a purse that can hold drinks and snacks. =]

This. I tend to bomb up on Maltesers and Coke beforehand.

I'm not going to lie, but I'm soooo bored of the same old alien invasion movie. I honestly thought ID4 would be the last movie where a small group of no bodies takes on and wins against an epically huge alien invasion force.

Oh, and the LAPD can't even protect certain parts of their own town, yet some Marines are going to beat a superior alien race? Yeah, totally believable.

This. I tend to bomb up on Maltesers and Coke beforehand.

Dude, I even brought turkey, Swiss Cheese, some bread and mayonnaise and made it right in the theater. Since the girl I went with was a hood rat, she didn't think it was strange that I put all that stuff into her purse. I just wish I took pics to prove it and for shits and giggles.

Edited by Hans Ludwig