Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

ArmA II focusing too much on realism?

I've just played Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis and comparing it to ArmA II, it just feels like Operation Flashpoint had more "soul" in the game. Maybe it's just the old graphics and the cheesy voice acting for Operation Flashpoint, but in ArmA II, everything feels so sterile, souless, and simulatorish. In summary:

Operation Flashpoint: A video game that focused on realistic combat with infantry and vehicles. (Swat 4, Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield)

ArmA II: A simulator that was ported to civilian use with realistic combat with infantry and vehicles. (DCS : Blackshark, IL-2 Sturmovik)

The first one was meant for having realism in a video game, while the latter was for how many realistic features they could push out the door.

Edited by Cookieeater

Perhaps you could summarize the actual features or lack thereof that make Arma 2 a soulless game. Would OFP be soulless if it had the ballistics of A2, or maybe the setting of Chernarus or Takistan along with the campaigns?

I hope ARMA2 never stop focusing on realism that`s the only reason I like this game because its not scared to actually make use of the pc for what its good at

Simulations.

That`s why we all here like no sorry LOVE this game because its a simulation (realism).

The day BIS (though I am sure they wont) turn ARMA etc into another COD,MOH clone is the day every one here I am sure will leave.

BIS are the best game company full stop and this is what they do best ARMA is the only game in the last 10 years or so (since OFP) to have me hooked thi is the best thing to happen to PC gaming ever (to me any ways).

Edited by stk2008

Wow how ya take over me pc like that a move me mouse cursor.......hahahahahaha.

Well i have changed my view on ArmA2 since i joined these forums. When i first joined i couldn't have enough realism and went for ACE and whatnot, now i prefere it just as it is :)

Oh I use ACE2 as well as vanilla.

Depends what server I want to play on BUT I would all ways make an ACE2 server if I can.

The more realism the better well not just realism really its the little things they keep adding or are going to add like the new ballistics computer for the M224.

Or the added DAGR or the wind or the cool scope zeroing etc etc.

I keep hoping for BI to stop trying too hard on the realism side of things... it brakes the game, where it could be really amazing. Just look at Eagle Wing.

Realism isn´t everything. Eagle Wing didn´t try to be realistic at all, and so far, it´s the very best Arma 2 experience I´ve had so far in SP. I hope BI go for strong narratives and less realism in the future.

I´ll say it. I´m a Gamer first, and a Sim fan second. OFP was great because it wasn´t trying to be realistic, but because it tried to tell a story in its own kind of way, and succeeded very well at it.

I recently also played OFP, and the most predominant impression of it was "quaint" :)

Much prefer ArmA2. Good thing about it is, there's enough community content to make it just about as real or unreal as you like.

Wow how ya take over me pc like that a move me mouse cursor.......hahahahahaha.

It's just flash animation lol, dont worry.

The whole appeal of ARMA 2 to most of its players is that it occupies a niche which most game developers - and gamers, for that matter - won't touch with a ten-foot pole. The ultra-realism of ARMA 2 is quite apart from the quasi-realistic shooters which have taken over the market, such as the Call of Duty series. While that type of game has its own merits, sometimes, you just want the difficulty and challenge that comes from a game which doesn't hold your hand throughout. ARMA 2 is very much a game which doesn't hold your hand.

I've just played Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis and comparing it to ArmA II, it just feels like Operation Flashpoint had more "soul" in the game. Maybe it's just the old graphics and the cheesy voice acting for Operation Flashpoint, but in ArmA II, everything feels so sterile, souless, and simulatorish. In summary:

Operation Flashpoint: A video game that focused on realistic combat with infantry and vehicles. (Swat 4, Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield)

ArmA II: A simulator that was ported to civilian use with realistic combat with infantry and vehicles. (DCS : Blackshark, IL-2 Sturmovik)

Or the fact that you were <insert age here> when you first played it and you've got the nostalgic goggles on?

In any case I agree. Operation flashpoint had more SPIRIT. Not because it was less realistic (more arcady) because that wasn't its intention. It had more soul because it told a more compelling story. It had immersive authenticity to itwhich Harvest red or Operation Arrowhead have yet to surpass.

More to the point Operation Flashpoint had a better, simpler and more intuitive user interface. Fewer buttons. Movement modes that did what you expected them to do. Well rounded and reasonably consistent vehicle handling.

Make no mistake. Arma2 is more realistic in many ways and the graphics are obviously better. If you are willing to judge Opf, not by its graphics, but through the impression it left you with and the time of its release-- The simple conclusion is that Operationflashpoint (CWC), despite all the engine improvements of Arma2, was and is the superior game.

(I played Operationflashpoint about a week ago)

-k

Well "realistic" weapon sway of arma kind of kills game aspect in A2. Becouse of this you need to operate much slower. Take more time for shots. Or much more punishing recoil. Well OPF nearly didnt have it but yeah, that. Another thing is longer animations for changing stances. More could be found if I would play OPF for few min.

Now Im not saying that realism sucks or anything, its just different. I like it both. I kind of feel like A2 is not just a upgrade to OPF its more sim then OPF was. Its hard to say whats right, but I know one thing. Thankfully we have mods that enhance realism and some mods that are more focused on game aspect.

I hope ARMA2 never stop focusing on realism that`s the only reason I like this game because its not scared to actually make use of the pc for what its good at

Simulations.

That`s why we all here like no sorry LOVE this game because its a simulation (realism).

The day BIS (though I am sure they wont) turn ARMA etc into another COD,MOH clone is the day every one here I am sure will leave.

BIS are the best game company full stop and this is what they do best ARMA is the only game in the last 10 years or so (since OFP) to have me hooked thi is the best thing to happen to PC gaming ever (to me any ways).

well said. this is why bis get my support and purchases.

It's just flash animation lol, dont worry.

Hahahaha don't worry I aint that slow I knew it was only an animation I knew you was not really taking over me pc hahahaha.

twisted

Yep its the reason we are all here tbh because arma is something no other game will try to go near realism.

I remember when I was young I had my Amiga 500 (with 1mb ram upgrade for all of about £45 :O) playing and only playing even then the most simulation type games all the flight sims F1 games good old days.

So I suppose I am a simulation type of person.

Edited by stk2008

But to actually answer the original question, is ArmA II focusing too much on realism?

No i think they got a decent balance between realism and casual gaming experience. Luckily we have a great community to adjust the game into certain aspects people enjoy :)

Or the fact that you were <insert age here> when you first played it and you've got the nostalgic goggles on?

In any case I agree. Operation flashpoint had more SPIRIT. Not because it was less realistic (more arcady) because that wasn't its intention. It had more soul because it told a more compelling story. It had immersive authenticity to itwhich Harvest red or Operation Arrowhead have yet to surpass.

More to the point Operation Flashpoint had a better, simpler and more intuitive user interface. Fewer buttons. Movement modes that did what you expected them to do. Well rounded and reasonably consistent vehicle handling.

Make no mistake. Arma2 is more realistic in many ways and the graphics are obviously better. If you are willing to judge Opf, not by its graphics, but through the impression it left you with and the time of its release-- The simple conclusion is that Operationflashpoint (CWC), despite all the engine improvements of Arma2, was and is the superior game.

(I played Operationflashpoint about a week ago)

-k

Yeah I think you summed up my thoughts pretty well!

Compared to Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis, there just aren't that many improvements to ArmA II IMO.

LMLzeZVgBw

rBZlwqxUYxc

ArmA II just seems more pathetic in terms of storyline and just overall presentation, even though Operation Flashpoint was made 8 years ago.

no thanks , I love immersion, and realism is my favorite path to it. You can relate to it.

ArmA II just seems more pathetic in terms of storyline and just overall presentation, even though Operation Flashpoint was made 8 years ago.

Arma 2's original storyline is pathetic, just ignore it. There are many great user-made campaigns/missions for it even for SP play.

I have to say, I, too, love the "no hand-holding"aspect of Arma 1/2 - while I think there are a few annoying quirks with it, it's the single best game I ever played. It's also pretty much the only game that succeeded in capturing my attention in the past 5-6 years.

I'm grateful to everyone who made/make it happen, BIS, addon/mission makers and all.

Infantry yes... Vehicles, PLEASE do not compare that to the DCS or IL2 series ever again.

Vehicles and Aircraft in Arma are NOT a simulation, its more of an eyesore arcade experience. It would be nice to see some serious work put into the aircraft systems for the next Arma... having something like a longbow, with no working radar and FCS system is just laughable. Why spend so much time on the model which is brilliant, and not have the radar dome working!

I personally think Arma 2 by itself does not give much in terms of simulation, it's the mods that make that happen, ACE for ballistics etc, GL4 for more realistic AI movement, but that is what makes the community great.

I agree with NkEnNy, also. The story made you care about the game, I think. Not mentioned was the fact that only later in OFP did you have to command the squad. I think there was alot of fun and immersion in just being a little PFC following orders and staying in formation. I remember being worried about how competent my sargeant was as we entered that first town, in the campaign.

I think that BIS should really back up and look at the playability of the game. Keep the realism 10000%. That's why we're here. The fan base would be much larger, though, if it were more PLAYABLE. EVERYBODY wants realism. Bad Company 2's most popular servers run hardcore mode, because, pathetically, maybe, they find it more realistic.

How about a NORMAL, first-person-shooter way of switching between weapons via the interface? All the animations can remain in place. I didn't say carry more weapons, either. I know how we all hate bunny-hopping jumpers, but even the 'vault-over-obstacle' implementation doesn't overcome how awkward and clumsy it is to run around in this series. It's gotta be easier to move around than it is.

I do think they've brushed on the interface, a little, with how when you face, say, a helicoper door, you get that gun position symbol, etc. THAT is what they need, more than content. The interface. If you could play the in the game world, instead of spend your energy on the game's interface and awkwardness, this game would be a AAA-blockbuster, and actually fun.

I agree with NkEnNy, also. The story made you care about the game, I think. Not mentioned was the fact that only later in OFP did you have to command the squad. I think there was alot of fun and immersion in just being a little PFC following orders and staying in formation. I remember being worried about how competent my sargeant was as we entered that first town, in the campaign.

I think that BIS should really back up and look at the playability of the game. Keep the realism 10000%. That's why we're here. The fan base would be much larger, though, if it were more PLAYABLE. EVERYBODY wants realism. Bad Company 2's most popular servers run hardcore mode, because, pathetically, maybe, they find it more realistic.

How about a NORMAL, first-person-shooter way of switching between weapons via the interface? All the animations can remain in place. I didn't say carry more weapons, either. I know how we all hate bunny-hopping jumpers, but even the 'vault-over-obstacle' implementation doesn't overcome how awkward and clumsy it is to run around in this series. It's gotta be easier to move around than it is.

I do think they've brushed on the interface, a little, with how when you face, say, a helicoper door, you get that gun position symbol, etc. THAT is what they need, more than content. The interface. If you could play the in the game world, instead of spend your energy on the game's interface and awkwardness, this game would be a AAA-blockbuster, and actually fun.

Nail on the head on most.

The animation system needs a revamp though (increasing the fluidity of the gameplay by interlacing the individual anims vs the way it is now, when you got some sort of time outs between certain anims).

Vehicles and Aircraft in Arma are NOT a simulation, its more of an eyesore arcade experience.

I'd say ground vehicles are not so terrible - they're passable with a few quirks (that'd be nice if fixed.) I rarely fly choppers (and never planes) so I don't comment on those.